Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

You have to wonder if the designations are becoming a bit confusing... and if this is a camera positioned more like the 5DIV in the Canon line-up? That would make sense if it released roughly in concert with the high MP camera — two models roughly like the current 5DIV and 5DsR but mirrorless.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I am sure the speed is extremely useful for you pros and 6x£300 isn't a big deal on your expenses, especially if written off against tax and especially if you reclaim VAT. For many of us enthusiasts, a handful of cheap SD cards is much better.
And this is a very good point. We have to think about balance in a design. What is the point of making a camera semi low cost when you have to spend almost as much as the camera to get memory cards? Does the camera have the computing power to flow data to those cards at speed? Is one of the design criteria compatibility? What about product differation?

i can see going to those cards on a 1DX2 replacement, but not an R

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Not that it isn't still a big difference, but the speed difference is more like 5x. And in real-world performance, it likely wouldn't even match that. UHS-iii is also coming on the market, so although CFExpress will undoubtedly get even faster, so will SD.

Frankly, considering how long it took for canon to even move to UHS-ii and USB 3.0, I really doubt they'll be adopting CFExpress in this category of camera for some time. They also seem to prioritise maintaining standards, such as battery type and media type, over keeping up with the latest and greatest. Just my guess anyway.

SDExpress will bring SD up to speed but likely only ever matching 1x lane due to lack of physical space. Still regardless, if the R Mark ii isn’t CFExpress then I’ll just wait for them pushing out a pro camera; we already know the next 1d is CFExpress and the Nikon pro bodies and current mirrorless bodies are with firmware updates.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I am sure the speed is extremely useful for you pros and 6x£300 isn't a big deal on your expenses, especially if written off against tax and especially if you reclaim VAT. For many of us enthusiasts, a handful of cheap SD cards is much better.

If you are happy with SD then you will need to be happy with no 8K movie recording and a reduction in burst. Something has to give if you are using a format that is already been well surpassed. And you can get CFExpress cards for under £100.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If you are happy with SD then you will need to be happy with no 8K movie recording and a reduction in burst. Something has to give if you are using a format that is already been well surpassed. And you can get CFExpress cards for under £100.
Believe it or not, 8K movie is not even on my horizon, and none of my Canon bodies (5DSR, 5DIV and 90D) has its bursts limited by current CF or SD cards.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
I'm yet to see a dancing competition where they allow a flash. It's very disturbing to competitors. Typically you'd shot at ISO 1600-3200 to get at least 1/320 - 1/400 at f2.8. Even if the shots appear slightly underexposed, better use the higher shutter speed and then increase the exposure in postproduction (all must be shot in RAW obviously). With a flash you could potentially go down to ISO 400-800. But I'm not sure what type of flash you'd use to have an even lighting across the whole scene.

The colour cast from the stage lighting can be reduced by simply dialling the saturation down.

I'll rephrase that, it was a showcase, not a competition, so it was a family event and unfortunately lit high aboy by those florescent tubes. The skin tones on the back of my camera are absolutely crap, so i have alot of work to do in lightroom.

Upvote 0
In difficult lighting conditions, the EVF display is nowhere near what the scene looks like. This is an example of that issue that I made a long time ago. The top, EVF view, is the out-of-camera JPEG. Note that this scene is NOT UNDEREXPOSED. There were still blown pixels in the raw data. It's just a high DR scene.

EVF%20OVF%20View%20comparison.jpg
Is the bottom picture straight out of camera? If not, you're never going to get that image on an EVF.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Is the bottom picture straight out of camera? If not, you're never going to get that image on an EVF.

The top image is straight out of the camera.

The bottom image is now producible by a Pixel 4 on the LCD, prior to the image being taken. It can be done, but camera manufacturers don't do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'll rephrase that, it was a showcase, not a competition, so it was a family event and unfortunately lit high aboy by those florescent tubes. The skin tones on the back of my camera are absolutely crap, so i have alot of work to do in lightroom.

Fancy/unusual stage light may be hard to fix by tweaking the white balance, but it's not necessary, just bring the saturation down until the skin tones look more or less pleasing and not hurting the eyes with acid colours, but they don't have to look 'natural' as it wasn't the natural light to start with.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The top image is straight out of the camera.

The bottom image is now producible by a Pixel 4 on the LCD, prior to the image being taken. It can be done, but camera manufacturers don't do it.
Okay, although I'd be willing to bet that kind of real time computational processing of a full frame image wouldn't be something that manufacturers could just do, though I could be completely off base.

I guess our expectations for things are all different.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
There is no problem. Only nose problems I read about with the R are with left-eye dominant shooters.
Even with that you can flip which side of the screen to use for drag focus. Though after experimenting I found that the nose thing just doesn’t happen and switched back to full screen so I can drag across the entire frame without lifting my thumb.

Not saying that some people don’t have a problem, but judging from everyone else on this forum with an r series, it’s certainly not common.

Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
This is likely bad news for R owners, as Canon is unlikely to keep updating R firmware with a next gen body on the horizon.
Not really... There will be more firmware updates for new lenses compatibility and things like that, but no other major improvements. This is not related to the arrival of a Canon EOS R mark II, it's rather due to the fact that whatever functions that could be improved via firmware on this camera has already been done.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Believe it or not, 8K movie is not even on my horizon, and none of my Canon bodies (5DSR, 5DIV and 90D) has its bursts limited by current CF or SD cards.

Agreed, watching 1080p on a 40" 4k TV in my front room and I can't see it getting any sharper tbh. What the hell do I need 8k for unless I'm editing / cropping.

Upvote 0
Not really... There will be more firmware updates for new lenses compatibility and things like that, but no other major improvements. This is not related to the arrival of a Canon EOS R mark II, it's rather due to the fact that whatever functions that could be improved via firmware on this camera has already been done.

I still suspect there is more juice in the max FPS in AI servo mode

Upvote 0