Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
its like people who shoot film who believe the more obstacles they put up the better their picture is if they overcome them, taking pictures and making pictures produce a product that should be judged by its quality not whether the producer was handicapped or from an underprivileged background if you allow the brevity
I've really got to ask...are you using dictation?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Yes, the speed is fantastic. I think there are a few cards on the market that hit write speeds of 1550MB/S. When I first started using CF they were somewhere around 10MB in size and under 1MB/S transfer speed. We have come a long way!

CF Express is a different form factor from the legacy CF cards.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Canon does not have a camera model called the EOS R Mark 1. Product naming conventions across a wide range of industries dictate that nothing is named Mark I (or Marque I). The convention also dictates that Roman numerals follow Mark or Marque. FYI.
These folks could always use the term 'Classic' instead.

But maybe they are Jaguar drivers and just can't get away from the nomenclature.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The EVF should reflect the actual scene, and the raw data should reflect the captured image. The JPEG is just an interpretation of the raw data.
Literally everything is just an interpretation, be it your human vision that you see with your bare eye, or through an optical viewfinder, or a JPEG render displayed in an EVF.

As long as you know how that interpretation comes about, it can help you gain some insight on your subject. I really can't follow you, you seem to talk down to everybody here for having a different preference.

Maybe I misunderstand you, but it seems you would rather have an EVF image that looks unaffected by your exposure settings? So that is more like an OVF? What's the point of that?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Believe it or not, 8K movie is not even on my horizon, and none of my Canon bodies (5DSR, 5DIV and 90D) has its bursts limited by current CF or SD cards.

Well, there's no current SD form factor card on the market that is as fast in those three cameras as the fastest CF cards are. For the 5Ds and 5D mark IV, the fastest SD cards max out at around 70 and 80 MB/s, respectively, while the fastest CF cards max out at around 100 and 110 MB/s.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well, there's no current SD form factor card on the market that is as fast in those three cameras s the fastest CF cards are. For the 5Ds and 5D mark IV, the fastest SD cards max out at around 70 and 80 MB/s, respectively, while the fastest CF cards max out at around 100 and 110 MB/s.

The point of my post is that the write speed from the 5DIV is not limited by the compatible CF cards. It's less than the maximum of the best cards available for it: the fastest write speeds are 112MB/s whereas the cards like the SanDisk Extreme Pro 160MB/s 256GB is rated 160MB/s read speed and 150MB/s write speed.

I have found to my expense that the 90D, which is compatible with UHS-II, has negligible better write performance with the best Sandisk UHS-II and UHS-I cards, which I talked about in another thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
No one said you haven’t been ;) Before you get more defensive, I didn’t even claim EVFs were better, though it must be said that EVFs are also not the exclusive purview of amateurs who don’t understand metering.

I'm the one being defensive? Please go back and reread your entire conversation regarding EVFs that seemed at the beginning to be predicated on the idea that an EVF that can provide "WYSIWYG" exposure simulation is surely preferable to an OVF for everyone. Yes, you did back off that a little when some of the advantages of OVFs for certain use cases were pointed out.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
The EVF should reflect the actual scene, and the raw data should reflect the captured image. The JPEG is just an interpretation of the raw data.

What you think "should" happen is pretty irrelevant here, an EVF isn't for you it sounds like, great. But if you were wondering, you can turn the Exposure Simulation off the EVF so it "acts" like an OVF. There's three different settings. As Canon Fan Boy also mentioned, you can increase the performance of the EVF as I believe the default setting is power saving and performs similar to how you described.

So you can choose what "should" happen with your EVF. A few years from now as technology gets better I really see no reason to stay in the limitations of DSLR and OVF.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Literally everything is just an interpretation, be it your human vision that you see with your bare eye, or through an optical viewfinder, or a JPEG render displayed in an EVF.

As long as you know how that interpretation comes about, it can help you gain some insight on your subject. I really can't follow you, you seem to talk down to everybody here for having a different preference.

Maybe I misunderstand you, but it seems you would rather have an EVF image that looks unaffected by your exposure settings? So that is more like an OVF? What's the point of that?

I would like the EVF image to look the way the scene looks to my eye, because that's how I'm going to process the raw data in almost all cases.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Because the EVF doesn't show how the scene looks, it's a power-sucker, and it's laggy.
Ok, who makes one which is not to some degree? My only experience with EVF's outside using them in a brick and mortar store (please don't ever use that experience as a determination for slamming a product outside of ergonomics) was the Oly PenF -awful EVF and the Canon M5- pretty good but needs improvement.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
that would make me a dictator, guess which one

At times it is difficult to understand what you're trying to say because your posts appear to be one long run-on sentence. It's hard to tell if some clauses are supposed to be attached to what comes before or what follows them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
What you think "should" happen is pretty irrelevant here, an EVF isn't for you it sounds like, great. But if you were wondering, you can turn the Exposure Simulation off the EVF so it "acts" like an OVF. There's three different settings. As Canon Fan Boy also mentioned, you can increase the performance of the EVF as I believe the default setting is power saving and performs similar to how you described.

So you can choose what "should" happen with your EVF. A few years from now as technology gets better I really see no reason to stay in the limitations of DSLR and OVF.

Both OVFs and EVFs and the respective cameras to which they are attached are tools. Some tools are more appropriate for certain tasks. Other tools are more appropriate for other tasks. As EVF technology advances, it will allow cameras that have EVFs to do more and more tasks as well as, or almost as well as, cameras that have OVFs. But there will probably always be some tasks that will be better accomplished using an OVF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0