Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

Apr 25, 2011
Using an EVF doesn't rob you of the ability to view exposure guides such as a histogram though, I'm not sure if there is an exposure meter in the R or RP viewfinder?
If the exposure metering numbers are not displayed there by default, I'm sure you can turn them on in menus. But that's not my point.

If you can trust your camera's exposure meter and you see the whole scene in the viewfinder, you can point the camera to some exposure anchor in the scene, press the AE lock button, recompose and shoot. With the current EVFs, you may need a lot of fiddling just to see where your exposure anchors are.

A histogram can be useful, but definitely doesn't solve all the problems. There are other EVF logic improvements possible to address this need; they are not that hard technically to implement, but they are not there yet.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Were those new features? Or did Canon cripple the camera at launch and then release a feature from its cripple vault to remain competitive?

This fanboyism is nuts. Next you'll thank Canon for unlocking the GPS module in the 6D, or releasing 24p for the 90D. This is not a company with a track record of updating products in meaningful ways through firmware, period. Cripple-hammering features and then releasing them from the cripple vault is not innovation, and it's not generosity. The EOS R's AF update may be the only time they've even come close.

Just go back to playing with your Sony.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
I’m not being facetious here, genuinely interested in your use case: why can’t you just use your naked eye to see exactly that,

Because I can't frame that way.

and then benefit from the viewfinder showing what the sensor, at the limits of current tech, is going to capture? Isn’t that more useful?

Yes, if the EVF actually did show "what the sensor, at the limits of current tech, is going to capture". It doesn't. It shows about 4-6 stops less than what's going to be captured. And it shows it late, which makes it hard to use when tracking fast-moving subjects.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
August 2018, actually.

Still - the R is on an 18 month-ish cycle, while my 7D is on a never-gonna-happen cycle. But the R is utterly useless to me. In fact, Canon doesn't make a mirrorless camera that is useful to me.

I'd pay about $300 for an R, if it had a fully articulated screen. It would be helpful when I attach a camera to my telescope because of the odd positions that result from doing so.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
I'd be tickled pink if I could by a 7D Mark III body that had the new 90D/M6 Mark II sensor, improvements in the AF system commensurate with the improvements between the 1D X/5D Mark III AF system (to which the 7D Mark II AF system was very similar) and the 1D X Mark II/5D Mark IV AF system. Leave everything else (body construction/durability, shutter life, etc.) exactly the same as the 7D Mark II.

I'd still like a hybrid viewfinder. I use a Hoodman Custom Finder kit on mine now (for video) but being able to get away with that system built-in would be even better.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Were those new features? Or did Canon cripple the camera at launch and then release a feature from its cripple vault to remain competitive?

This fanboyism is nuts. Next you'll thank Canon for unlocking the GPS module in the 6D, or releasing 24p for the 90D. This is not a company with a track record of updating products in meaningful ways through firmware, period. Cripple-hammering features and then releasing them from the cripple vault is not innovation, and it's not generosity. The EOS R's AF update may be the only time they've even come close.

So wait - just checking if I got this right. When Panasonic releases a firmware update adding new autofocus features, it’s awesome generous customer service. When canon does so, it’s because they crippled the camera.

You’re accusing everyone of Fanboism, but can you see your own bias here?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
I really like shooting with my EOS R especially since the AF firmware update and the superb new RF Lenses, however there is always room for improvements on the first-generation model.

Things I like particularly about the EOS R

AF & Eye AF with the new firmware update
Size, weight and feel of the Camera body
Touch Screen Menu
Articulating Screen
Guard that covers the sensor when changing lenses

Updates I’d like to see in a EOS R II

Touch Pad Replaced with Joystick
More Frames Per Second
Reduced blackout during hi-speed shooting (What Hi-Speed lol)
IBIS
Dual Card Slots
Sensor and Processor Updates

I don’t think this is too much to ask given Canon’s competitors Sony etc

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Correct. But remind me how do I adopt all this unique RF glass to my EF DSLR body? I am really keen on 28-70/2.0 zoom lens on EF. There are quite a few other unique RF lenses out there.

That’s quite a different ask though, isn’t it. I can understand why you’d want that. Canon says it’s because they’re using an evf instead of an ovf that they can even design these new lenses.

I honestly don’t know if that’s actually true or not, since I’m not a lens designer.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
So, where I can I get a 7D body with the 90D sensor in it?

That’s a common and reasonable request. Some online YouTube reviewers mock canon for continuing to produce the 90D, and announcing the 5D4/1dx 3. And yet a lot of users still want a DSLR. Seems that canon decided that it wasn’t worth making a 7D3. So while you and a few others really want one, maybe they just didn’t sell enough. The market just wasn’t there, even though the market for a 90D and 5D is.

Doesn’t Nikon make a great mid range sport/wildlife camera? Is it possible for you to switch brands and send a clear message that these are still in demand? (I understand brand switching can be expensive and unfeasible)

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
That’s a common and reasonable request. Some online YouTube reviewers mock canon for continuing to produce the 90D, and announcing the 5D4/1dx 3. And yet a lot of users still want a DSLR. Seems that canon decided that it wasn’t worth making a 7D3. So while you and a few others really want one, maybe they just didn’t sell enough. The market just wasn’t there, even though the market for a 90D and 5D is.

Doesn’t Nikon make a great mid range sport/wildlife camera? Is it possible for you to switch brands and send a clear message that these are still in demand? (I understand brand switching can be expensive and unfeasible)

I have 8 EF lenses, 3 Canon flashes, and a host of accessories, so switching would cost in excess of $10k, plus some of the lenses I use aren't available on other mounts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Also this was the first FF swing at mirrorless for Canon.
For a first try it is infinitely superior to Sony's first attempt.
Also Canon has provided great and useable pro lenses right out of the gate, not so loser f0.95 manual lens, and to top it all off you can use all your EF lenses with enhanced features. Not dumbed down like all the others.
Having said that, I stil like to see the real photonos in my vuew finder, 7DIII(?), 5Dv, 1DxIII... wish I was richer.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Nikon has also abandoned the segment. D500 is the last of the series for them as well. So it's not just Canon.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Look, just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. I routinely shoot things moving erratically at hundreds of miles per hour at 960mm equivalent, tightly framed (10% or less clearance on the edges). Do you do that?
Way to take things out of context.

If you are looking for an action oriented camera you are in the wrong thread. This is about the RII. It will likely be an incremental improvement over the R Classic, but won't be the action oriented model.

Or did you just come here to tell us how superior you are?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
how well does the swipe for in cold like -30C
Not minus 30C here, but I did coincidentally have to shoot some construction workers outside this morning. Using UnderArmour Storm gloves. Walking back to my truck with my fingers pretty numb I realized that I'd been using the touch screen without even thinking about it. Happy to report no problems. In fact, the gloves worked better with the Canon touchscreen than they do with an iPhone.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Way to take things out of context.

If you are looking for an action oriented camera you are in the wrong thread. This is about the RII. It will likely be an incremental improvement over the R Classic, but won't be the action oriented model.

There are no action-oriented mirrorless cameras that work, because EVFs are too slow.

Upvote 0