Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I took your original statement a different way. The 24-240 has such pronounced barrel distortion that it would likely be obvious in an OVF. So they couldn't make that lens for an OVF camera (even if flange distance weren't an issue). They had to issue a firmware update for the R and RP before they released that lens, so that the camera could correct it...and people looking through the EVF would, as a matter of course, see the adjusted image. Thus, the EVF itself made that lens possible.
The lens would still be possible with an OVF but we would just have to put up with framing a distorted image, which is not beyond the capabilities of most of us, I would have thought.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Having said that, I stil like to see the real photonos in my vuew finder, 7DIII(?), 5Dv, 1DxIII... wish I was richer.

We shall see.
Canon has to make money and stay competitive in a market driven on latest fads. Nikon is a perfect example of failing to stay current by keeping the old F mount 30 years beyond it's expiration date.
Canon is savvy enough to keep most people happy. Only the Sony fanboys on You Tube etc. and a very few other Canon bashers hate everything Canon does. Yes, Canon makes mistakes but they do not keep compounding them as others seem to do. Yes they are conservative but when they do it it is right more often than not.
IF DSLRs are in the cards to keep making money they will continue to do so. But if sales go lame, no matter how a very small few lament it the DSLR will go away. Remember all companies need to make money and lots of it to stay afloat in the world market. The Leica M2-3 were great cameras, why were such wonderful cameras discontinued? SALES.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
I use 2 card slots to create a real-time backup. I once had a CF card go bad at an event, and I had a hard time downloading images. Fortunately, I was able to recover all but 8 and Sandisk was able to recover 7 of those, but that experience made me value dual card slots. It took 2 months to get those images. With dual card slots, I'd have lost zero images, and had them all off the cards in minutes instead of months.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
I use 2 card slots to create a real-time backup. I once had a CF card go bad at an event, and I had a hard time downloading images. Fortunately, I was able to recover all but 8 and Sandisk was able to recover 7 of those, but that experience made me value dual card slots. It took 2 months to get those images. With dual card slots, I'd have lost zero images, and had them all off the cards in minutes instead of months.

Ok, everybody over to 'card slots' please, Jay is onto card slots now.

• Haha
Upvote 0
What's wrong with wanting 2 card slots? It certainly is not mandatory but if given the choice I will take two over one. I am not going to do paid work with a one slot camera unless I have a way to back up the images onsite. I guess different risk profiles for different folks. I am a glass half full kind of guy.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
What's wrong with wanting 2 card slots? It certainly is not mandatory but if given the choice I will take two over one. I am not going to do paid work with a one slot camera unless I have a way to back up the images onsite. I guess different risk profiles for different folks. I am a glass half full kind of guy.
Wouldn't worrying about a second card slot actually make you a "glass half empty" kind of guy?

• Haha
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Gross. I might be alone in this category but I hate that body and ergos, make it feel and operate like a 5d or 1d and I’m sold until then I’ll be stuck with a mirror till I die
I just got EOS R and as an EOS user since 1988 and a DSLR EOS user since 2007 and I have to agree with you.
On its defence it is not meant for sports and/or birding so there is more time for handling but still I miss the 5D and 7D series buttons (and joystic) and back wheel (and the additional button for AF point pattern selection). Of course I intend to enjoy using it. It's small, light , has a capable sensor (despite the Canon haters) and can have some fabulus 2.8 zooms and 1.2 lenses in front of it in the next years :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The recently announced Canon R price drop to USD 1.499, appears to confirm the rumor that the Mark II is on the way.
That does not confirm anything, except they have a good amount of stock and want to sell more cameras and RF lenses. If people don't have an RF-mount camera they can't buy those lenses, simple as that.
The original prices were always too high (even on the RP).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014

Nothing wrong with wanting two card slots. A lot of negativity has sprung up around the topic because some people claim the R is not usable by professionals, and is a terrible camera because it has only one. Which is not true (because professionals ARE using it), and riles everyone up :)

You are well within your rights to say that you’d much prefer it if it has two cards slots, if that’s what you’d prefer! And you did so without implying that everyone else is an idiot, so thank you for that :)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The lens would still be possible with an OVF but we would just have to put up with framing a distorted image, which is not beyond the capabilities of most of us, I would have thought.

OK...yeah. Certainly it's physically possible, and certainly some photographers would go ahead and frame their shots, planning to correct in PhotoShop or Gimp or whatever. But I strongly suspect that it wouldn't sell nearly as well if people knew they had to deal with its shortcomings rather than the software doing it. (More cynically: if its shortcomings weren't almost completely hidden--at great effort--from view.) Given that, maybe they wouldn't have bothered producing it in the first place. So I'll stand by my statement that the EVF made it possible--from a marketing standpoint.

Upvote 0
Uhm. They say it is because of a shorter RF flange distance and wide Mount throat that they can afford to design lenses with a larger rear elements and zooms like 28-70/2.0.
Such a lens is impossible on EF.
In reference to what you said: yes ovf is no doubt a better tool for a skilled photographers. But RF glass makes me wanting to trade in OVF for EVF + RF Mount. Price aside, I see how this may afford me a cleaner shots in low light run and gun scenarios and candid portraits in ever awfully lit receptions and venues.
And with an extending 70-200 stubby lens. At last I will afford storing both cameras with 24-70 and 70-200 lens attached in my mid sized camera backpack without necessity to store 24-70 disconnected from camera body.
I'd say an OVF is a different tool, not a better tool, for skilled photographers than an EVF. Better for some things, not for others.

Upvote 0
That does not confirm anything, except they have a good amount of stock and want to sell more cameras and RF lenses. If people don't have an RF-mount camera they can't buy those lenses, simple as that.

You are contradicting yourself here.

In any event we often see huge price drops months before a camera is replaced. I know because that's when I usually buy my camera bodies. I am speaking from experience here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nothing wrong with wanting two card slots. A lot of negativity has sprung up around the topic because some people claim the R is not usable by professionals, and is a terrible camera because it has only one. Which is not true (because professionals ARE using it), and riles everyone up :)

You are well within your rights to say that you’d much prefer it if it has two cards slots, if that’s what you’d prefer! And you did so without implying that everyone else is an idiot, so thank you for that :)

There are work arounds for only one card slot. You can backup onsite to a SDD or similar. Two slots are not a requirement, but I am not going to say no to them.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
The recently announced Canon R price drop to USD 1.499, appears to confirm the rumor that the Mark II is on the way.
Has anyone been watching the prices on the 5DS this season? Grey market has been dipping close to $1,000 new. I can’t think of any better reason than major drop in demand or big supply dump off in preparation for a replacement.

I don’t work for canon so it’s clearly speculation based on market and business experience. Maybe a combination of factors. But clearly I don’t see demand for these cameras staying the same or increasing if their replacement is imminent.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
You are contradicting yourself here.

In any event we often see huge price drops months before a camera is replaced. I know because that's when I usually buy my camera bodies. I am speaking from experience here.
Hello? Holiday season.

That comes before stock, announcements, body selection, patents and even believe it or not, individual forum member desires!.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
Hello? Holiday season.

That comes before stock, announcements, body selection, patents and even believe it or not, individual forum member desires!.

I understand that and regularly try to wait to buy the bulk of our gear for our studio until mid December. We got 2 Mark IVs gray market for $1,800 years back. But I’ve never seen Canon rebates surpass eBay promos on gray market gear. Especially with Adorama and BH bundles on top of that.

I got R, adapter, and flashpoint V1 for $1,499 today. That’s the price of ebays best deal on gray market body with no adapter. Body only.

Upvote 0