Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I understand that and regularly try to wait to buy the bulk of our gear for our studio until mid December. We got 2 Mark IVs gray market for $1,800 years back. But I’ve never seen Canon rebates surpass eBay promos on gray market gear. Especially with Adorama and BH bundles on top of that.

I got R, adapter, and flashpoint V1 for $1,499 today. That’s the price of ebays best deal on gray market body with no adapter. Body only.
Ah the Gray Market gamble, some say no problem, I believe those with problems don't say since they know they will be scolded. Reminds me of Da Mayor's line from Do The Right Thing.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
Ah the Gray Market gamble, some say no problem, I believe those with problems don't say since they know they will be scolded. Reminds me of Da Mayor's line from Do The Right Thing.
When you’re buying a lot of bodies that gamble gets spread out. I think we’ve bought 8 in the past three years. Do the math on the savings haha. Only had one issue with a PCB board that went out after 11 months. I didn’t even try to get it warrantied. Just paid the $350 after CPS discount.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
When you’re buying a lot of bodies that gamble gets spread out. I think we’ve bought 8 in the past three years. Do the math on the savings haha. Only had one issue with a PCB board that went out after 11 months. I didn’t even try to get it warrantied. Just paid the $350 after CPS discount.
'Just'... there you go.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
It's interesting looking at the parallels between the EOS R launch and the original launch of the EOS film SLRs in 1987.

The EOS 650 was launched in 1987 as a mid-range camera. The sort of thing that professionals could justify using (but would no doubt complain about missing features) but amateurs could also just about afford.

This was followed less than a year by the cheaper EOS 750 model.

The EOS 650 and the slightly improved EOS 620 were replaced by the next model, the EOS 600, just over two years later.

It was two and a half years later than the first 1 series EOS was launched, and three years later than the EOS 10 was launched, the first in what would now be classed as the '5 series' of high end but less than 1 series cameras.

Those timings look like they're mirrored (ahem) quite well in the EOS R/RP launch and the prospective EOS R II and future EOS 1R

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It's interesting looking at the parallels between the EOS R launch and the original launch of the EOS film SLRs in 1987.

The EOS 650 was launched in 1987 as a mid-range camera. The sort of thing that professionals could justify using (but would no doubt complain about missing features) but amateurs could also just about afford.

This was followed less than a year by the cheaper EOS 750 model.

The EOS 650 and the slightly improved EOS 620 were replaced by the next model, the EOS 600, just over two years later.

It was two and a half years later than the first 1 series EOS was launched, and three years later than the EOS 10 was launched, the first in what would now be classed as the '5 series' of high end but less than 1 series cameras.

Those timings look like they're mirrored (ahem) quite well in the EOS R/RP launch and the prospective EOS R II and future EOS 1R
Good post however wouldn't the EOS 3/5 be more along the lines instead of the 10?

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
What's wrong with wanting 2 card slots? It certainly is not mandatory but if given the choice I will take two over one. I am not going to do paid work with a one slot camera unless I have a way to back up the images onsite. I guess different risk profiles for different folks. I am a glass half full kind of guy.

but we do have a way to immediately back up
transfer the images wireless as you shoot them, to either a phone or a thin lightweight tablet (if travelling).
I setup my shots to transfer immediately via wireless to a surface tablet, and also downloaded the card to the surface tablet each night to clear off the memory cards.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
'Just'... there you go.
Yeah “just” $350, because that is less than the $11,000 we would’ve spent with US bodies. We do own many US bodies as well, including the two I bought today.

I would say the gamble is worth it. So Scold me all you want. I still need to incur $10,650 in repairs before I break even.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Has anyone been watching the prices on the 5DS this season? Grey market has been dipping close to $1,000 new. I can’t think of any better reason than major drop in demand or big supply dump off in preparation for a replacement.

I don’t work for canon so it’s clearly speculation based on market and business experience. Maybe a combination of factors. But clearly I don’t see demand for these cameras staying the same or increasing if their replacement is imminent.

Ah, the 5DS...with the sensor that I wish had been in the R. Something of similar capability sure ought to go into an R body (go ahead and update it if you can, though).

Seriously: Non gray market price still seems to be north of $3000.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
Ah, the 5DS...with the sensor that I wish had been in the R. Something of similar capability sure ought to go into an R body (go ahead and update it if you can, though).

Seriously: Non gray market price still seems to be north of $3000.
Yeah it’s crazy. Ebay has new ones for $1119.99 right now. Pair that with the 10% eBay bucks if you get the offer and you’re at $1,000.00 for a new 5DS.

People can poo poo gray market all they want. I’m not spending $2,300 more on the same exact body. You technically still have a one year warranty Through the seller (if you can stomach the process) and I’m told Canon will honor it....I have no experience with that yet.

Worth the gamble. I could buy three bodies and have two catastrophic failures and still be ahead.

My question is how cheap are these sellers getting them from Canon right now to justify that much of a price difference? I know ebay kicks in some money to their sellers to compete with other retailers...Adorama doesn’t have them in stock. Haven’t checked BH, don’t care. So I'm not inclined to believe it's an overstock or Holiday sale going on here.

People can have differing opinions on why the drastic price cuts, doesn't mean imminent replacement can’t be one of them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Yeah it’s crazy. Ebay has new ones for $1119.99 right now. Pair that with the 10% eBay bucks if you get the offer and you’re at $1,000.00 for a new 5DS.

People can poo poo gray market all they want. I’m not spending $2,300 more on the same exact body. You technically still have a one year warranty Through the seller (if you can stomach the process) and I’m told Canon will honor it....I have no experience with that yet.

Worth the gamble. I could buy three bodies and have two catastrophic failures and still be ahead.

My question is how cheap are these sellers getting them from Canon right now to justify that much of a price difference? I know ebay kicks in some money to their sellers to compete with other retailers...Adorama doesn’t have them in stock. Haven’t checked BH, don’t care.

People can have differing opinions on why the drastic price cuts, doesn't mean imminent replacement can’t be one of them.
Yeh that is an amazing deal. I would love to hear some success stories with gray market buyers who had their warranties honored by Canon. Imho, it should be. Too much control and restriction in the world these days. But I feel that the first time I go for it, I'll have an issue and be SOL.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Yeah “just” $350, because that is less than the $11,000 we would’ve spent with US bodies. We do own many US bodies as well, including the two I bought today.

I would say the gamble is worth it. So Scold me all you want. I still need to incur $10,650 in repairs before I break even.
I get where you're coming from and don't blame you for going that route but you are the exception to the rule. Most of us own one body, MAYBE two and usually the 2nd is a 'lesser' body such as an M. I'm a 4 body shooter but two are film, one EOS and one medium format.

Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
Yeh that is an amazing deal. I would love to hear some success stories with gray market buyers who had their warranties honored by Canon. Imho, it should be. Too much control and restriction in the world these days. But I feel that the first time I go for it, I'll have an issue and be SOL.
I'm sure there's probably a lot. Just looking at how many are sold on these listings on eBay is baffling. Just one of the 5Ds sellers has sold nearly 500 in the past few days. That's not a popular camera by any means. I see a lot of these listings sell thousands in a few days. For every horror story you might hear, there's thousands of non stories. Cameras functioning like any other new camera.

I know I'm an exception but some of the bodies I'm talking about have been upgrades, so the older ones were used for a year or two, then sold for literally a couple hundred dollars less than the original purchase price. Before anyone starts feeling sorry for Adorama, BH, or other big retailers....they started out selling gray market. It's the small shops that suffer, but like most of us, there aren't any shops within a few hours drive anymore.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
I forgot I did have a bad experience with a Sigma 135 art lens. Had bad front focus and couldn't adjust with USB dock to acceptable performance. PayPal stepped in and forced a return, but I think I remember having to pay about $50 in return shipping to Hong Kong. That wasn't a fun experience. Most of our lenses are used and US versions and I think I've only bought 2 gray market lenses. I've had bad experiences with used lenses just as much, so there you have it.

Upvote 0
transfer the images wireless as you shoot them, to either a phone or a thin lightweight tablet (if travelling).
I setup my shots to transfer immediately via wireless to a surface tablet, and also downloaded the card to the surface tablet each night to clear off the memory cards.

Thats fine and dandy if you are somewhere with a good signal and a large cellular data plan. I prefer 2 card slots and a hard drive to back the data up to in the field. I don't think two cards are a deal breaker, but given the choice between one and two I am taking two.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Wireless transfer is slow and kills your battery fast. How long does it take to transfer 2000 RAW shots for you? 2000 shots could be taken over 2-3 hours time period is an unfortunate reality for event shooters. With Average file size 35Mb each that’s 70Gb + to transfer over wifi... good luck doing that in 2-3 hours period while you keep taking shots and your Camera battery would have to support all that.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Thats fine and dandy if you are somewhere with a good signal and a large cellular data plan. I prefer 2 card slots and a hard drive to back the data up to in the field. I don't think two cards are a deal breaker, but given the choice between one and two I am taking two.

The Canon wireless transfer defaults to turning the camera into an access point, so cell and wifi coverage as well as your data plan don't matter for that.
Unless you enabled cloud sync for your phone on cellular data, then you're cellular plan will take a big hit :)

Upvote 0
The Canon wireless transfer defaults to turning the camera into an access point, so cell and wifi coverage as well as your data plan don't matter for that.
Unless you enabled cloud sync for your phone on cellular data, then you're cellular plan will take a big hit :)

Another brain freeze. Then again no thanks I will use a backup drive. It is more efficient for me.

Upvote 0