Canon Store refurbished sale, EOS R Body $1214, EOS 5D Mark IV $1619 and more!

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
It's dropping, but more interesting to me is that Canon's not dumping off the majority of their traditional DSLR's or EF lenses. As an example, did anyone else notice that the refurbished 6D is more expensive than the refurbished 6D mark ii?

Did Canon paint themselves into a corner this year? They drop the price on the R, but the R glass is expensive (most of it). They don't really have any stellar sales on EF lenses, but could people be holding out to see what the R/RF system pans out? Why invest in a dead EF system if you are willing to by the R camera? I don't buy the compatibility theory. If you by an R, you are going to want RF lenses, but they are freaking expensive today - in the future that may be different.

Maybe I'm seeing things that don't exist because I already own what's on sale this year.... :)

It is a transition period. Marketing and other factors come into play. Just think if Canon introduced a pro RF mount camera right off the bat. No L lenses available and then listen to the screams. Nikon went the pro cameras and lack any pro lenses by comparison. That is likely why they are struggling to the point of giving the cheap Z50 away just to get users and keep the doors open on the production lines.
These are tough times for all real cameras to compete with cell phones. How does one compete with them? I am glad I am not tasked with accomplishing this task as it looks to be uphill all the way.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I sent an email, we shall see. However I'm not sure what the limitations are. I'm not interested in any camera body being offered at this time. Glass is always another matter ;)
They wrote me back with some BS. I think they are going out of their way to not resend the code and that is their prerogative. Someone at B&H named Jicell was playing coy and not sticking to my original query. Oh well, money not spent is fine with me.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Anyone else's refurb R direct from Canon on back order? I snagged one during the 15% off window. Still waiting for them to charge my card and ship.
The Canon USA shop process takes a bit longer than some online retailers. If it was on backorder you would not be able to order it, one thing they are on top of is inventory.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The Canon USA shop process takes a bit longer than some online retailers. If it was on backorder you would not be able to order it, one thing they are on top of is inventory.
Correct. Canon Price Watch lists the apprx. number available. It currently says "20+ in Stock."

Upvote 0
It’s crazy that Canon is so blatantly ripping off customers, they never used to do this.

I bought an EOS R kit on Black Friday for the “discounted” rate of $2799. Now I’m finding I can get the exact same kit for $2000 with all these discounts.

I am sure a lot of people are going to be returning those Black Friday cameras and buying the discounted ones in order to save $800. Why wouldn’t you?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's dropping, but more interesting to me is that Canon's not dumping off the majority of their traditional DSLR's or EF lenses. As an example, did anyone else notice that the refurbished 6D is more expensive than the refurbished 6D mark ii?

Did Canon paint themselves into a corner this year? They drop the price on the R, but the R glass is expensive (most of it). They don't really have any stellar sales on EF lenses, but could people be holding out to see what the R/RF system pans out? Why invest in a dead EF system if you are willing to by the R camera? I don't buy the compatibility theory. If you by an R, you are going to want RF lenses, but they are freaking expensive today - in the future that may be different.

Maybe I'm seeing things that don't exist because I already own what's on sale this year.... :)

Well, they've painted ME into a corner. I like the R (bought it when it came out), but it never occurred to me that Canon would completely ignore compact primes. The RF 35, which I had and sold, is surprisingly large, loud, and lacks internal focus. I hope that's not going to be Canon's approach to 'compact' and affordable: by omitting things like quiet motors and internal optics.

Maybe their strategy with the price drops is to kill resale value for people like me, so as to keep them in their RF ecosystem :oops:

Upvote 0

Dead ??? Are you retarded..? LOL
It's the most mature lens ecosystem till this day, even in cinema lineup and will live till the time it's adaptable to other mounts. LOL...get real.

Upvote 0
The 470 AI flash is one of those things that looks like a super cool demo of tech projects at an electronics show but that it is an actual product is puzzling; anyone on this forum actually have one?

I have one and I use it more often than the 600 because it is smaller. If I'm doing a multiflash setup, then I use only the 600s because they have the same light output. The 470 AI is handy when switching from portrait to landscape or vice versa. A double tap on the shutter button moves the flash head to a comparable position. It has reduced flash inadvertently bouncing off to the side (as opposed to the ceiling) by quite a bit.

Upvote 0