Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
Canon only released one FF body in the year, and that was the RP. If you look at the graphics, you'll see Canon's FF unit sales are actually up, and value is down, indicating they sold a ton of RPs, even though the more expensive DSLR bodies probably weren't in high demand. Which is to be expected, as they are near their end of life, with the 1DX III and likely even the 5D V coming next year.

If I were an investor, I'd look at these figures a lot more, before concluding much. In any case, I find it misleading to say that Canon is suffering so much here, as clearly Nikon is in a lot more trouble.

Here's a better coverage of the report and the original btw:

As indicated by the graphics, the numbers from the report cover the year from November 2018 to October 2019.

I take your point. However, if you look at the other post I put with the whole business figures, the picture remains not that great for Canon.

My only point is the following: I really hope Canon is going to act on it and as a consequence of this, answer a bit more properly some of the customers demand.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
While connected to laptop, does it charge Camera? Or do we need some special cables or ports to charge the battery with camera.

No it does not charge. My surface laptop has a standard USB port. You would need a usb-c port. My desktop has a usb-c and it charges the camera when the camera is off.

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
The title of the article is "Canon EOS R Mark II in Testing"

If you're at a holiday party this season and people are discussing the upcoming Ford F-150 pickup truck and whether you feel 450 lb/ft torque is enough to tow your camper, or wondering if they're going to keep the V8 in the lineup, or add a diesel engine, and someone comes up to your group and starts talking about some random marketing company who says Chevrolet just passed Ford in sales in Germany, then (1) How relevant would you find that to the conversation and (2) How long do you think it would take people to walk away from that guy?

The responses you see here should come as no surprise.

I understand you might have not liked my comments.
Fair enough. I accept your feedback. Indeed, I took a risk in such an answer.

I personally did not think the answers given to a professional photographer from Sweden making constructive critics on Canon were very nice.

I felt some sales figures would highlight some of these critics were maybe more justified than people thought.
That was it.

Upvote 0

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
The title of the article is "Canon EOS R Mark II in Testing"

If you're at a holiday party this season and people are discussing the upcoming Ford F-150 pickup truck and whether you feel 450 lb/ft torque is enough to tow your camper, or wondering if they're going to keep the V8 in the lineup, or add a diesel engine, and someone comes up to your group and starts talking about some random marketing company who says Chevrolet just passed Ford in sales in Germany, then (1) How relevant would you find that to the conversation and (2) How long do you think it would take people to walk away from that guy?

The responses you see here should come as no surprise.

I’m sorry .

I find it completely intellectually dishonest.

And more than a little obnoxious.

This is a Canon specific forum. I come here to read about Canon products and rumors. It’s not a general purpose forum. It’s not an open discussion forum. It’s a targeted forum and it’s target is rumors and information about Canon products.

There is no daylight between coming here and posting what essentially boils down to “Sony is winning!” and the tiresome and unproductive brand trolling on on the Chevy vs Ford, Harley vs Indian, Bud vs. Miller, etc. etc., ad nauseum, ad infinitum, forums.

Saying “I love Canon... BUT...” is thin and well... as I said, intellectually dishonest.

The UGLY truth is that Sony may make an okay product, but I will never own one because I will never allow myself to be associated with their customer culture. Which seems heavily populated with these tiresome trolls.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019
a professional photographer from Sweden making constructive critics on Canon were very nice.

I felt some sales figures would highlight some of these critics were maybe more justified than people thought.
That was it.

In an article about the status of an upcoming Canon R camera body, nobody else is discussing the "general way that Sony receives feedback from their customers better in comparison to Canon". That's my point. It's completely irrelevant to this particular discussion about a specific Canon camera that is currently in testing. Posting sales figures about Sony only adds to the irrelevance. THIS. IS. AN. ARTICLE. ABOUT. THE. CANON. R. The points being raised about Sony vs Canon feedback may have some appeal to some people somewhere else, but we're not talking about Sony right now. We're talking about the Canon R.

For the record, I read the irrelevant comments and just moved along without a word about it. People go off on unrelated tangents all the time, I just skip over them and keep reading. I'm only replying because you'd seemed "surprised" and unhappy with the general response and I'm offering some insight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Like you I was surprised how they measure figures, not using the full christian year.
Not sure when is the "Japanese New Year"? Like the Chinese in February?

Many U.S. corps run an October 1 - September 30 fiscal year, which would have placed the beginning of fy2019 only a few short weeks after the release of the R. But by 11/1, all of the preorders had likely been filled and most other early adopters had already bought theirs.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I take your point. However, if you look at the other post I put with the whole business figures, the picture remains not that great for Canon.

My only point is the following: I really hope Canon is going to act on it and as a consequence of this, answer a bit more properly some of the customers demand.
There is precisely ZERO Canon can do about the decline in the sale of smaller cameras(which is where most of Canons declines are being seen). Sony does not have anywhere near the market share of canon in that area and therefore cannot lose as much in the way of sales. Once it all settles down(if and when) then we will get a good idea of where the various companies stand

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Like I said, I don't think the picture is that grim for Canon. To put some perspective of what the relative growth numbers mean, one must consider the absolute values as well. Unfortunately I've only seen those mentioned in the original article, the Sony biased reporters seem to ignore them. So here's the Google translated quote about total market share, which is what the bar chart with the relative changes references:

"In terms of maker share of all interchangeable lens cameras, Canon maintains the leading position at 41.7%, but the shrinking trend has not stopped and it is hard to say that it is safe. Second-place Nikon is far behind Canon with 16.9%, and third-place Sony is just behind with 15.8%."

Good for Sony that they managed to overtake Canon in terms of sales in the FF market, in a year where Canon only released low cost mirrorless bodies for their not fully established RF ecosystem. Sure, they have to step up their game. But they showed that's just what they are doing with the recent APS-C releases. So some patience seems more in place than spreading panic.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...This is a Canon specific forum. I come here to read about Canon products and rumors. It’s not a general purpose forum. It’s not an open discussion forum. It’s a targeted forum and it’s target is rumors and information about Canon products...

We are on page 23 of a thread. There has never been a single thread on this forum (aside from image galleries) that has not gone seriously off the rails after about five pages. Telemaque respectfully posted a link and some information regarding camera sales. He did so in response to other posts. That has been a legitimate topic for discussion on this forum and on numerous threads for at least a decade. Since you've only been a forum member for a few months you may not realize that. There was nothing about his post that could even remotely be considered trolling.

You may not be interested in the business side of Canon, but many people find it an interesting and legitimate topic for discussion. Having endured countless posts about Mac computers, battery life, computer programming, and many other less relevant topics, I don't see any reason to complain about two posts that contained factual information about the state of the industry.

If someone makes a post that is uninteresting to you, you can always just skip over it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
We are on page 23 of a thread. There has never been a single thread on this forum (aside from image galleries) that has not gone seriously off the rails after about five pages. Telemaque respectfully posted a link and some information regarding camera sales. He did so in response to other posts. That has been a legitimate topic for discussion on this forum and on numerous threads for at least a decade. Since you've only been a forum member for a few months you may not realize that. There was nothing about his post that could even remotely be considered trolling.

You may not be interested in the business side of Canon, but many people find it an interesting and legitimate topic for discussion. Having endured countless posts about Mac computers, battery life, computer programming, and many other less relevant topics, I don't see any reason to complain about two posts that contained factual information about the state of the industry.

If someone makes a post that is uninteresting to you, you can always just skip over it.
Hallelujah!

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Why have they omitted spot AF for the R when it is in the RP? Didn’t know this or remember knowing it...
Why does the R not have Focus Bracketing? Why does no DSLR have Focus peaking in LiveView? Why does Auto ISO become fixed at 400 if a flash is used (on cameras that I know about)? Why did some models release without 24p? And so on...

Isn't Canon just weird like that? When it comes to simple software things, it seems to me like Canon often doesn't round them out as much as they could. On one hand, it probably allows them to focus more on the core experience and they seem to have a motto like 'less is better', but on the other hand, it is frustrating to me. I like to get more for paying more, when climbing up a product segment. Not, get more in some, and less in other areas, unless that is a limitation imposed by the hardware (like switching between OVF and EVF).

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Why does the R not have Focus Bracketing? Why does no DSLR have Focus peaking in LiveView? Why does Auto ISO become fixed at 400 if a flash is used (on cameras that I know about)? Why did some models release without 24p? And so on...

Isn't Canon just weird like that? When it comes to simple software things, it seems to me like Canon often doesn't round them out as much as they could. On one hand, it probably allows them to focus more on the core experience and they seem to have a motto like 'less is better', but on the other hand, it is frustrating to me. I like to get more for paying more, when climbing up a product segment. Not, get more in some, and less in other areas, unless that is a limitation imposed by the hardware (like switching between OVF and EVF).
Yeah, some of those are not comparable. But I get it, I think it was the 1d3 who didn’t have spot AF and then the 7d got. Focus bracketing is a limited feature in the RP anyway, my R does not lock iso 400 when using flash etc.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Why have they omitted spot AF for the R when it is in the RP? Didn’t know this or remember knowing it...
As I understand spot AF, the R has it. But please tell me if I am wrong. I could very well be wrong. If I hold down the AF point/index/magnify/reduce button (#10 on page 29 in the manual), I can use the Quick Control Dial and Main Dials to put the AF point wherever I want it and it will lock the AF point in place. It won't track around. To get out of that mode, just hit the AF Point/Index/Magnify/Reduce button again. Kind of awkward to do at first, but it works. Are we talking about the same thing? It works kind of the same way moving the AF point around with the joystick on my old 5D Mark III.

It does not, of course, work in eye AF mode... but works in every other mode.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
As I understand spot AF, the R has it...
No. Spot Autofocus (as Canon uses it) is very small point selection. It shows up on the XD cameras as a single box with a smaller point inside. It allows for more precise focusing on subjects when the single point selection box is too large to get a precise focus. Unfortunately, it is not on the R.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
As I understand spot AF, the R has it. But please tell me if I am wrong. I could very well be wrong. If I hold down the AF point/index/magnify/reduce button (#10 on page 29 in the manual), I can use the Quick Control Dial and Main Dials to put the AF point wherever I want it and it will lock the AF point in place. It won't track around. To get out of that mode, just hit the AF Point/Index/Magnify/Reduce button again. Kind of awkward to do at first, but it works. Are we talking about the same thing? It works kind of the same way moving the AF point around with the joystick on my old 5D Mark III.

No, we’re not talking about the same thing:)

I’m talking about the actual size of the single point AF point. The RP has an even smaller one for pinpoint focus, much like the current DSLR’s. But in the R, small is the smallest.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
No, we’re not talking about the same thing:)

I’m talking about the actual size of the single point AF point. The RP has an even smaller one for pinpoint focus, much like the current DSLR’s. But in the R, small is the smallest.
Ok. I understand now. Thanks! :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
No. Spot Autofocus (as Canon uses it) is very small point selection. It shows up on the XD cameras as a single box with a smaller point inside. It allows for more precise focusing on subjects when the single point selection box is too large to get a precise focus. Unfortunately, it is not on the R.
Got it. Thanks! :) Maybe on the R Mark II.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

On my 7D2, you can select an individual AF point from any of the AF points, but the spot AF point is only the one centre point. Are we talking about spot AF or single point AF?

• Wow
Upvote 0