Consumer RF mount zoom lenses coming in the first half of 2020 [CR2]

Is the 35mm RF lens as good as the 22mm EF-M? Because I really want more primes like that for my RF mount.
Much better, in my experience (except for the weight, of course): excellent IS, wonderful bokeh, half-macro...

[I use the RF 35mm on my R and the EF-M 22mm on my M6]

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I think the patent applications already speak for themselves. There's several variations of a 17-70 f3.5-5.8 lenses, and a few other designs that start at 17 as well. Starting at 17 would allow an RF APS-C mount if they wanted to, and extending to 70 helps with full frame rebel like cameras. 70-300 RF has all but been confirmed at this point too, so that would make a nice 2 lens kit to have as an option/upgrade vs the 24-240. Having the 2 lens kit is also what all the big box stores like to sell.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Lots of comments wishing for constant aperture but less than the L series. I think that’s off track for this segment. This isn’t about helping enthusiasts get more affordable awesome lenses. It’s about selling a big zoom range to non-photographers who aspire to look cool with a clunky camera and use their camera like a point and shoot on the green icon auto setting and never look at the menus.

Cost and zoom range are all that matter. Durability and image quality are good enough even at their worst. A few may even turn out to be useful little gems for enthusiasts like us.

The green square icon users have moved on to cell phones. Looking cool is not there for a vast majority of picture takers vs convenience. Thus enthusiasts and pros are left. There are a lot of enthusiasts who would love sharp decent quality lenses at a price point less than the GDP of Russia. A fixed aperture for the zoom range would be a huge bonus for us mere mortals and decent optics again at a working person with a family or other obligations reachable price. Think the Canon FD 80-200, decent price or the FD 100-200. Technology and production methods has moved way beyond these lenses yet they were decently priced and very sharp. (I own both as well as the 80-200mm L version I got used recently to see what it was like, good but not dominating).

Upvote 0
The green square icon users have moved on to cell phones. Looking cool is not there for a vast majority of picture takers vs convenience. Thus enthusiasts and pros are left. There are a lot of enthusiasts who would love sharp decent quality lenses at a price point less than the GDP of Russia. A fixed aperture for the zoom range would be a huge bonus for us mere mortals and decent optics again at a working person with a family or other obligations reachable price. Think the Canon FD 80-200, decent price or the FD 100-200. Technology and production methods has moved way beyond these lenses yet they were decently priced and very sharp. (I own both as well as the 80-200mm L version I got used recently to see what it was like, good but not dominating).
I suspect the new consumer grade lenses will be best in class in terms of sharpness compared with most any competitors consumer variable aperture lenses. The 18-55 is fairly sharp for aps-c, the 55-250 is extremely sharp for it's price. (It's not nicknamed the nifty-250 for nothing!) I suspect they will try to do the same with the RF consumer lenses, and the lure of having a either a fixed aperture, a faster lens, or both will be the reason why enthusiasts will want to upgrade later.

And don't discount those consumers who want more than their cell phones! There will still be a subset of users who want something better than a cell phone who will buy these cameras. They are not all enthusiasts about equipment, they are just enthusiastic about taking pictures. Some of them will even buy them simply because they will look more serious about taking pictures while traveling than a person with a cell phone. That market is still there, it's just much much smaller. Even if only 5-10% of the basic consumers who may have moved on to cell phones keep buying, that number is still very large - it was nearly a 100 million less than 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I suspect the new consumer grade lenses will be best in class in terms of sharpness compared with most any competitors consumer variable aperture lenses. The 18-55 is fairly sharp for aps-c, the 55-250 is extremely sharp for it's price. (It's not nicknamed the nifty-250 for nothing!) I suspect they will try to do the same with the RF consumer lenses, and the lure of having a either a fixed aperture, a faster lens, or both will be the reason why enthusiasts will want to upgrade later.

And don't discount those consumers who want more than their cell phones! There will still be a subset of users who want something better than a cell phone who will buy these cameras. They are not all enthusiasts about equipment, they are just enthusiastic about taking pictures. Some of them will even buy them simply because they will look more serious about taking pictures while traveling than a person with a cell phone. That market is still there, it's just much much smaller. Even if only 5-10% of the basic consumers who may have moved on to cell phones keep buying, that number is still very large - it was nearly a 100 million less than 10 years ago.

People will move to cameras if they believe that cell phones are not meeting their expectations. My adult daughters are a good example. They thought cell phones were the greatest until they saw what I could do with a simple DSLR. They then got bridge cameras thinking that would be the answer and now both are sold on DSLRs. But it was them just wanting better and realizing the cell phone did not cut it for better. They now do some incredible work.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
My biggest wish is to see Canon roll out F4 versions of their RF zoom line up. A 15-35 F4, a 70-200 F4 and a 24-70 F4 (i know there's a 24-105 F4, but still).

I truly love my EOS R with the 15-35 F2.8 but i think that a line of F4 zooms would push more people towards going for maybe the EOS RP instead of a for example 6D Mark II.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I strongly suspect a non-L would be a f/3.5-5.6, not a constant aperture.

The very first EF 70-210 released when the EOS line was but a wee autofocus camera line (and I was but a wee camera user) was a 70-210 f/4.0 constant aperture. It's not out of the question.

Upvote 0

jtf

Mar 22, 2019
TBH, I'm feeling a bit stuck in the middle on the RF lenses. I bought the R with the kit RF 24-105L almost a year ago, seemed like the obvious lens to start with. I added the RF 35 as a small light walk around and splurged on the RF 70-200, well my wife did, for Christmas ( thanks honey).

However I still have 8 EF mount lenses, 4 Sigma Art - 20, 50, 85, 135; and 4 L - 16-35 f4, 70-200f4, 100macro, and the 100-400 II. I have the 5DIV and 6D to use them on as well as the R with the adapter obviously.

The middle ground is I can't justify buying RF mount lenses that are less expensive but probably not as good as my EF lenses, since I already own the EF lenses and I really don't want to pay the premium prices Canon is asking for the "pro" RF glass. The 70-200 was an exception.

Upvote 0