What is your favorite new feature of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We won’t get the official announcement of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III until Monday, but we do know most of what is in store when it finally does get announced.
We’re wondering what your favourite new feature of the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III is.
Keep in mind, we have yet to see any images from the camera, any video from the camera and we have no idea how great the all-new autofocus system is. We also have no idea what the new DIGIC processors will have in store for us. This is merely for a bit of fun while we wait.
We want to keep things positive until we have actually seen this camera in action, so please be kind on the forum thread, there are plenty of other places on the web you can go and complain.

You are going to be able to preorder the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III from our exclusive affiliate partner Adorama early next week!

Continue reading...

Jim Corbett

Man-eaters' Nightmare
Oct 11, 2019
My favorite feature is how much the yet to be tested camera flushes out the trolls... it's like a terrier in a fox hole. All the seers and missfortune tellers are gattering around the cauldrons, readying for the eclipse.

Let the camera prove itself and then throw the rocks. It's too soon to pick a feature since we know nothing!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
My favorite feature is that nothing in the MkIII compels me to upgrade from my MkII. I'd like to thank Canon for saving me $7000.
I am not negative about the camera and I suspect I'll envy the improved AF. I hope to be shooting more 4K60 in the future and to this point losing DPAF would not please me. So, I have to concur, since I was trying to rationalize buying this camera and now I can simply be relieved of the GAS and enjoy watching and waiting for a alternate Canon camera that bests the R. I bought the R and quickly passed it to my daughter and it's a great camera for her. I need/want more MPs and miss having a second body since selling the 6D.

Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
What would make you upgrade?
>24MP.
I know that sounds annoying but for me who owns two 1DX II’s it is 100% true.

Sure the other bits and pieces are nice, I’d love the illuminated buttons and the intervalometer, I love that it takes the same battery (I have mains adapters already) but am pretty sick of changing media so am happy not ‘upgrading’ will save me $100’s of additional costs, even to the extent that I have a $300 USB-C dock with a CFast reader.

EDIT: They didn't even put a damn intervalometer in it! Come on Canon you could have done much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
CFEx and that new touchpad joystick would be my two picks. That followed by the potential AF system improvements. So without the first two available to pick, I picked the AF point option. But really, using fairytale math like Nikon does for number of AF points isn't actually intriguing, the backbone improvements to the AF system (which may or may not be there) is the only thing that really interests me.

To ever consider buying this camera, it would have needed more MPs for my type of bird photography. And not just 24, I would have wanted 28 minimum but really more like 30+.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
The naysayers have a point about the photo specs, but the video specs look pretty impressive.
This may be an excellent camera for those who shoot both photos and videos, and it is excellent that Canon is not shortchanging one for the other. Photogs increasingly need to be able to be able to grab excellent video as well as photos. An all-in-one solution is the way to go!

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The mechanical shutter is 20 FPS, not 16 right? I thought 16 was for the OVF, 20 in LiveView where you can chose between mechanical and electronic shutter.

I don't really have any interest in the 1DX III and so I'd say this shutter performance is its most intriguing feature, as it is likely to impact both future SLR and mirrorless cameras. If the R II / 5D V will get between 10 and 14 FPS at ~ 30 MP, how many of the people disappointed with the 1DX III resolution will be content?

Upvote 0

domo_p1000

EOS-1D X MkIII | EOS-1D X MkII
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2013
There’s a handful of features that improved hugely from 1DX to 1DXii, so I’m keen to see how they have progressed in the 1DXiii...
  • Image noise at low ISO (and improvements at high ISO would be very welcome).
  • The performance from the DIGIC units.
  • ‘Silent Mode’
I’ve only ever shot stills, so the movie features ate of no interest yo me!

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I like some of the new features, but I Will probably pass on the upgrade unless the new sensor is truly outstanding for high ISO. I am really surprised Canon stayed with 20 MPx considering what I see with the 32 mpx APS-C sensor in the M6 Mark II. I thought they would take that sensor tech and scale up to 26 or 28 megapixel FF for the 1DX Mark III. Sony and Nikon are going to have a field day marketing this issue against Canon. I think Canon has put themselves at a disadvantage with new purchasers and existing users have another reason to consider alternatives. we still don’t know the full story and will have to wait for the full story. I was really hoping for a little more headroom to crop.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I am most curious to see how the af performs in mirrorless mode. Not because I will ever buy this camera but because I want to know what canon will likely give us in it's future mirrorless models. I am still not convinced that I will ever be happy with an EVF for wildlife but without a 7d3 on the horizon I won't have much choice in the future and hopefully canon will put out a mirrorless that will be acceptably fast for wildlife at an acceptable price. We can't all afford to drop 10k on a camera

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0