Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

Dec 25, 2017
So does DPAF still has an advantage over sony's af ? live A7III and A7SII ?
Hard to tell. we compared it just a couple of times and not in a very extended test. The a7III (and a7RIII) which we both have are realy great in this regard. I would say the canon pulls a little bit smoother, though not much. The Sony got a bit more software tricks to recognize faces quicker and more accurate. Overall I think the canon 1DXII DPAF is a little bit ahead. The smaller display on the Sony makes it a bit more difficult to set up the focus though.

Upvote 0
Thanks for answering. I use my 500 II mainly from my car with 5DsR. Rarely, I have to handhold for BIF but at least the Full frame camera makes targeting birds easier. 5DsR has not super AF but it is not bad either. The trouble with 600 apart from price is that it is so long it cannot get in a bag with the camera. I have already 2 bags that can carry my 500. A 26L Gura Gear Bataflae that merely carries the 500 without camera (on half of it) and a Think Tank Harddrive 2.0 that can carry a 500 with camera and just a little bit more. No intention to get a 3rd super long bag but also the cost is a factor too.

I've used the older 800 5.6 and been happy with it for birds in flight. I really can't wait to try it out though as I'm going from the 7DII to the 1DXIII, and am anxious to see how it will handle birds if I use the 1.4 tele on it; of course that would be shooting at f8 too. I envision going back and forth between that and using the 800 alone. Been a great birding combo so far.

Upvote 0
I will agree with several others on here that for my shooting (sports and theater), better high ISO performance and AF is more important than more MP. I can't remember ever cropping to the point of seeing pixelation on my 1DXii, but have had many times where noise on cropped images was obnoxious. I wouldn't complain about 24mp, but it's not nearly important to me as other features. I understand many of you shoot in good light and maybe this isn't as big of a deal, but it is to me.

And the ability to move AF points without removing your finger from the AF-on button could be really amazing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
It's not the loss of weight overall, which I agree is a good thing, but how the weight is distributed. Mind you, the latest supertelephoto lenses are also a fair bit lighter, so the balance may still be fine with a lighter body.

Incidentally, bravo! I have tried BIF with the 500L II and found it too cumbersome to do for very long (mind you this was swifts, maybe it's more feasible with bigger birds). I figured using a shorter focal length with a much lighter lens was the best compromise (in that case the 70-200 + extender was what I had to hand).

Edit - I missed that you said the mark III. Even so, impressive! How easy do you find keeping moving birds in the frame at such a narrow FOV?
At 6'3" 200 lbs, I am able to track BIF while handholding with reasonable precision using the 1DX2/600mm. I going back to Canada next week to photograph Snowy Owls in flight. Since the birds will be relatively close, the EF 70-200 F2.8 ll will be the lens of choice in low light. The EF 100-400mm in good light.

Sure excited to see that the 1DX3 has an upgraded AF and a huge buffer. Hopefully, the new AF will be more stable than the 1DX2 for BIF. Maintaining focus lock on birds against contrasty backgrounds has been a weakness of the 1DX2 vs the D5 or A92.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Here it is in Germany:

EOS-1D Mark III

and in the US:

EOS-1D Mark III
No that's. the development announcement that we have all know about for a while. That was before we knew what an utter disappointment it is. I have railed against people who dump on the new releases before they have been fully tested but this release is a bad joke.

Upvote 0
20mpx? I know that for the purpose given it might be still OK, but, really? Oh, and dual Digic 6+? A typo?

I agree - I get that news and sports photographers don't need high MP - but they are limiting this camera to that market by going 20. I would have been in at 30 because some of my work is in the studio.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Being professional was not the point. The point was that if you have a DSLR you are kind of stuck with it untill the newer version comes out. With mirrorless bodies, firmware updates can add new functions and not only bugfixes.

Can you name one item that can be updated with FW on mirrorless, but not on DSLR?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon Europe seems to have already launched the camera in their site. Does anyone have info? Videos? Live presentation?

Damn....I am excited and i don´t even think in buying it...at least....not yet! :D Can´t wait for the mirrorless versions, but first....let´s see this one! Who knows I will replace my MkII and buy the last DSLR? :)

https://www.canon-europe.com/cameras/eos-1d-x-mark-iii/

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canon Europe seems to have already launched the camera in their site. Does anyone have info? Videos? Live presentation?

Damn....I am excited and i don´t even think in buying it...at least....not yet! :D Can´t wait for the mirrorless versions, but first....let´s see this one! Who knows I will replace my MkII and buy the last DSLR? :)

https://www.canon-europe.com/cameras/eos-1d-x-mark-iii/
No, again, that is the development announcement, nothing more.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Can you name one item that can be updated with FW on mirrorless, but not on DSLR?
Brightness-behaviour of the EVF :-D

Just kidding, of course its just what the company sees in firmware updates - is it something to deliver new features or is the camera released in a final state and only bugs will be fixed =)

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
You don't talk to a lot of professionals in publishing.

I've spoken to a fair few - in person as well as through fora. But if you bother to understand where I was saying, it was doubting the significance in difference between 20MP and 24MP. 20MP to 28MP - fair enough. 20MP to 30MP - more so. But 20 MP to 24MP?
If an editor is rejecting your photo at those differences, the problem is NOT the number of MP.

Upvote 0
Hard to tell. we compared it just a couple of times and not in a very extended test. The a7III (and a7RIII) which we both have are realy great in this regard. I would say the canon pulls a little bit smoother, though not much. The Sony got a bit more software tricks to recognize faces quicker and more accurate. Overall I think the canon 1DXII DPAF is a little bit ahead. The smaller display on the Sony makes it a bit more difficult to set up the focus though.

The A7III has more pdaf points to the edge borrowing from the A9, but the A7RIII does not, so there is a difference depending on how it is setup and where it is being focused. I believe the A9 is a better direct comparison to the 1DXII since the processing speed is exclusive to the A9, and not on the III/RIII. There really used to be a day and night difference with DPAF. One other thing to consider is that all of the Sony lenses you pick up for stills/video are (like the RF mount lenses) designed for mirrorless and are mostly quiet for video AF/IS. The same cannot be said for all EF mount lenses, except for some of the STM lenses. Some lenses are slow to AF, clunky and/or noisy and some are not compatible with DPAF. Something to consider as well.

Upvote 0