Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
In general if I try to browse Canon starting from www.canon.com I waste my time.

Fortunately their cameras are better than their site :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, better memorize the url of your regional Canon subsidiary (eg. canon-europe.com, usa.canon.com, canon.co.uk, canon.co.au etc.) But anyway, none of the sites have been updated yet. We just have the embargo-lifted third-party articles and videos right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019
Correct. It is now on Canon USA website:

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well we are moving in the right direction, it can detect heads now. We'll catch up to the rest of the pack that can detect eyes at some point (without live view). Maybe two iterations down the line.
There is eye-AF, but yes... in live view. One needs an EVF to do it through the viewfinder. That's what I think anyway.

From Techradar and also according to Jared Polin:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree, and I think thats quite logical, isnt it? The squares in the OVF are just to big to effectively mark and track an eye =)
Those squares are not the same as physical AF sensor points. The squares are too big for head tracking too, but this camera now has head tracking through the OVF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Those squares are not the same as physical AF sensor points. The squares are too big for head tracking too, but this camera now has head tracking through the OVF.

The pertinent resolution is that of the metering sensor, 400k pixels,or roughly 750x500. Which is plenty enough to recognize heads, but eyes are trickier. When it comes to the actual AF points, they're sparse enough that it's not exactly simple to switch seamlessly from point to point while tracking something as small as an eye, compared to Live View where there's for all practical purposes infinitely many "AF points".

Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019
Eye Detect AF requires dual-pixel AF which is only available in Live View with the mirror up. (That's also why mirrorless cameras can do eye-detect AF all the time. No mirror, DPAF 100% of the time.)

With the mirror down and using the optical viewfinder, the more traditional D-SLR style (not DPAF) AF system is used. Apparently that non-DPAF system has been updated to allow face and head tracking, but it's still not DPAF and won't be able to do eye-detect AF. Though as stated, eye-detect AF is of course available in Live View with the mirror up.

• Haha
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Those who are fixated on the pixel count appear to not understand the matching of resolution to intended purpose. 20 mp is more than adequate for photojournalism and sports, where photos mostly end up in magazines, newspapers, and on the web. (Weddings generally don’t require 20 fps, and are better suited to a different kind of camera.) So the 1D X Mark III looks to be ideally suited to the target user. Not for me, alas; I photograph mainly the little things.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Those who are fixated on the pixel count appear to not understand the matching of resolution to intended purpose. 20 mp is more than adequate for photojournalism and sports, where photos mostly end up in magazines, newspapers, and on the web. (Weddings generally don’t require 20 fps, and are better suited to a different kind of camera.) So the 1D X Mark III looks to be ideally suited to the target user. Not for me, alas; I photograph mainly the little things.
It has been brought to our attention by many pro sports photogs that 20Mp sensor resolution is barely adequate now days. 24-28Mp would be amazing to have. Unfortunately 16fps OVF would not be possible then. Canon prioritised speed instead.

Upvote 0