EOS R related announcements coming for CP+ [CR2]

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I just bought an EOS R kit due to Black Friday offers. I also added a RF 35 1.8 and I just ordered a 15-35 2.8L IS.

It is good enough and this includes the use of EF lenses through the adaptor. I recently took pictures of my niece using the EOS R and the EF 85mm 1.4L IS with the adaptor and Eye focus was excellent.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The only reason I haven't bought the R is the framerate. I shoot a 70D now and I'm really excited to go to mirrorless for DPAF and FF (I have a lot of EF L glass) but to go from 7 FPS which is already too slow to 5 FPS is a deal breaker. I'd rather see a 24MP camera capable of 8 FPS than a 30MP camera at 5 FPS. Fingers crossed that they fix this in the R MK2.

Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
25 frames? Whoa! By then any action subject I've encountered is way out of the frame, and so is my composition. I cannot overstate how great the R is for portrait work, but for moving subjects that need to be kept within the frame, yikes. Plus there really isn't enough burst rate to cherry-pick a good selection of facial expression + body position.
I shoot a lot of concerts so I get a lot of situations where people are running back and forth for 10 minutes straight. I just track them for 5-6 seconds at a time. And so far the R has almost never let me down.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Why would you get the RF 24-70mm when the RF 24-105 f/4 is such an excellent lens? Just curious...
That's why I haven't decided yet. I have been abroad twice in the last 2 years and I took pictures in museums and churches in low light. I had the 16-35 2.8L IIII and the 24-105L IS (ver 1).

I would benefit from both IS on 16-35 2.8 and from a combination of better IS with 1 more stop than the 24-105.

But I was also thinking that a 85 1.4L IS and a 35 2 IS would be even better solutions as 24-105 replacements so I am not 100% sure. Of course I would have to change lenses like crazy! Or have with me both EOS R and 5DMkIV.

On the other hand 15-35 and 24-70 overlap and make shooting interiors a more relaxing case.

Choices!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
2020 is the last year for DSLR. I guess, it's time for Canon to move on. Can't wait for 5D kind of mirrorless camera.
If Canon does not move on, and very soon, they will be washed away by the Sony Tsunami. Canon needs to retire a lot of their upper echelon managers who can't get their heads out of the glorious days of their film era. If they can't beat Sony at their own game Canon will end up selling printers and lenses for other brands.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The only reason I haven't bought the R is the framerate. I shoot a 70D now and I'm really excited to go to mirrorless for DPAF and FF (I have a lot of EF L glass) but to go from 7 FPS which is already too slow to 5 FPS is a deal breaker. I'd rather see a 24MP camera capable of 8 FPS than a 30MP camera at 5 FPS. Fingers crossed that they fix this in the R MK2.
I'd just about bet the R Mark II will have the new X processor found in the new 1DX Mark III... but tailored to the R. It will also have a brand new sensor. Something tells me there will not be a bump up on mega pixels. So better low light performance, faster fps, better EVF, maybe even better AF, better battery life. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The rates you mention are a little funny low. 5DMkIV has already 30mp at 7fps so at least the new R should have that.

A 5DMkV would have even higher (Mp or fps or both!)

But since you obviously know that I assume you mentioned these low frames per second to be in sync with EOS R.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
If Canon does not move on, and very soon, they will be washed away by the Sony Tsunami. Canon needs to retire a lot of their upper echelon managers who can't get their heads out of the glorious days of their film era. If they can't beat Sony at their own game Canon will end up selling printers and lenses for other brands.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You said Sony and Tsunami in the same sentence. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
25 frames? Whoa! By then any action subject I've encountered is way out of the frame, and so is my composition. I cannot overstate how great the R is for portrait work, but for moving subjects that need to be kept within the frame, yikes. Plus there really isn't enough burst rate to cherry-pick a good selection of facial expression + body position.

I guess it depends on what you are shooting. For darkish theater, I have had no problem getting plenty of good shots out of burst. Sports are a little more particular. Football is okay, but you might miss that perfect moment in the catch, but the few times I used it for that (low light and needed full frame) I did get a usable shot. Basketball was reasonable too for the most part. Faster sports like volleyball is where you really need the higher fps, and the R ends up missing shots.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I'd just about bet the R Mark II will have the new X processor found in the new 1DX Mark III... but tailored to the R. It will also have a brand new sensor. Something tells me there will not be a bump up on mega pixels. So better low light performance, faster fps, better EVF, maybe even better AF, better battery life. Good luck!
It would be so cool to see efforts put into low-light, even better AF, and speed rather than more megapixels. Great Canon offers a higher-res version as a niche product, but I'd rather try to get closer to my subject than keep squeezing more and more MP into a FF sensor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It would be so cool to see efforts put into low-light, even better AF, and speed rather than more megapixels. Great Canon offers a higher-res version as a niche product, but I'd rather try to get closer to my subject than keep squeezing more and more MP into a FF sensor.
Regarding that I do hope you will be able to pursuade small birds to keep that in mind and behave accordingly :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

From your lips to Canon's ears!

Upvote 0