Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
And releasing a mirrorless 1D so soon after the 1DX III would surely upset folks.
I don't get it; why would it? Nobody is forcing you to buy the 1DX III and then get pissed of the mirrorless version is out.
It's your choice, live with it!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Every fast prime except the 85mm f1.4 IS doesn't have IS, and tripods are not practical for a lot of situations. Stop with this nonsense that IBS is unnecessary. Every feature that can help with taking better photos is helpful.
he said HIS lenses have IS and HE is using a tripod - so IBIS is not so important for HIM. Depending on your photography subjects it's important to some and not important to others. Pleae stop with this nonsense of saying IBIS is a requirement. It's helpful for some and not required for others.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
But what other high end bodies are we expecting? I thought an R II / 5D mirrorless was expected for much later in the year. And releasing a mirrorless 1D so soon after the 1DX III would surely upset folks. What's left? A A7s equivalent?

Personally I'm after the high-res 70-80Mp monster. I feel 30Mps of my 5DIV aren't enough. 80Mp will drastically improve my photography, all my photos will be 2.66 times better. It'll be worth every penny.

But most importantly I expect Canon to fix the banding visible in the shadows at long exposures and improve on DR. If the camera will be on par with A7RIV - I'm definitely buying it. Well if my wife approves...

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
he said HIS lenses have IS and HE is using a tripod - so IBIS is not so important for HIM. Depending on your photography subjects it's important to some and not important to others. Pleae stop with this nonsense of saying IBIS is a requirement. It's helpful for some and not required for others.
Well hey technically autofocus and burst shooting isn't required for everyone, so we might as well just not consider those requirements for new cameras being made today either.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
They did a development announcement for the 1DX III, so if it was coming soon, I believe they would have done it for that as well.
For sure, this will not be a 1D equivalent mirrorless body. It will most likely be the high resolution body (which the 1DX III is NOT) and probably the R2 or the mirrorless 5D Mark IV.
I think the rumor is premature because as you said, there was no development announcement.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
For sure, this will not be a 1D equivalent mirrorless body. It will most likely be the high resolution body (which the 1DX III is NOT) and probably the R2 or the mirrorless 5D Mark IV.
I think the rumor is premature because as you said, there was no development announcement.
Unless, of course, the release of the EOS R was the development announcement for a "more pro type" body to follow? ;)

• Haha
Upvote 0

They actually rarely do development announcements. 1DXIII development announcement was an exception as far as I understand. They normally do release announcements right away.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I would like to see a couple of development models of the R Mk. II, at least one of which is optimized for sunny, high-temperature environments in a manner similar to Canon's telephoto lenses.

I'm sure that having a matching white finish would be an advantage. If that model happens to be the second in the development series, they could even call it... EOS R2-D2 (That could be the camera that I am looking for!)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
I was just getting comfortable with the specs for the R2. MP and FPS could easily be off and I wouldn't have a problem ... but IBIS? that's a must at least on the high MP body, probably for most on the R2 as well.
Other stuff is pretty safe: digit X, card slots, better EVF, no crop 4k.
Finger's crossed we'll know more soon.

IBIS is a must because all other competitors offer IBIS. A recent Fujifilm rumor has it that the X-T4 will have IBIS. Also, Canon offer stellar RF lenses that do not have IS like the 28-70/2, 50/1.2 & 85/1.2, so IBIS would be greatly appreciated there.

I hope that Canon's IBIS will be on par with that of Panasonic & Olympus.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
My guess.
1) The long rumored extremely high-res R model
2) An R model demonstrating where Canon is right now technically in mirrorless. It will include a lot of features found in the 1DXIII. It might have 24-25 megapixels, which potentially could give it very convincing no-crop 4K video quality (And very good low light performance).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I know so many want IBIS but all of my lenses have 4-5 stops of stabilization and I use a top quality tripod and monopod.

My interest in it is to use top quality older lenses that do not have it including old L FD lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The high-res model will be great for many people to have (or for bragging rights), but the camera Canon needs is a true pro body in the 30-36 megapixel range. Somewhere in between a 5D IV and 1DX Mark III. Perhaps what the 5DV will be or could be. Needs to add IBIS, no crop 4k up to 60fps (no need for 6k or raw) in 10-bit 422 with low rolling shutter, with 1DX III joystick and way nicer ergonomics than the EOS R (more dials, less menu hunting).

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Things are in flux.

The great dSLR sell-off stampede swells. Hold onto your hats.

Hoping against hope CF cards will be in the mix. Sigh...I have so many, two still unopened!

My CF cards will still work in my 7D and 10D even after these cameras are introduced.
Those cameras are not going away any time soon.

Upvote 0
Personally I'm after the high-res 70-80Mp monster. I feel 30Mps of my 5DIV aren't enough. 80Mp will drastically improve my photography, all my photos will be 2.66 times better. It'll be worth every penny.

But most importantly I expect Canon to fix the banding visible in the shadows at long exposures and improve on DR. If the camera will be on par with A7RIV - I'm definitely buying it. Well if my wife approves...
I understand sarcasm, many don't. Get ready

Upvote 0

Jim Corbett

Man-eaters' Nightmare
Oct 11, 2019
1DxMK3-like EOS R full rame is out of the question for this year. The possibilities for that are close to Canon re branding itself to Nonac.
Which leaves two choices:
1. High resolution - 50 mpx, keeping the naming tradition of 5DS and familiarity;
2. EOS R Sport/WL body but with an APS-C sensor.
The tiers closest to due upgrade are 5DS and 7D.
Remember how they released 7DmkII along with the 100-400 mk2? I put my money on 7DmkIII MILC + the new 70-400 zoom. Most people are going to be hyped and GASed after the 1Dxmk3, but unable to afford it, it makes senses to me if Canon tries to fill that vacuum with a wallet-friendly spicy cropper. So, in a way, the previous 32mp. rumor makes sense (if it's crop).

Upvote 0