Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]

I realize that Canon and EF is not remotely where Sony was with A mount when the A7 took off. But slowly, folks will migrate to RF to get access to the latest lenses even if all the non-EVF sweet mirrorless tech is cooked into LiveView on shiny new EF SLRs.
- A

I think we're on the same page - my take is that Canon needs its core 1D users to continue to have confidence in EF for the next little while, otherwise they'll view the 1DX3 with suspicion, thinking mirrorless/RF will obsolete it soon. Less so for the rest of the market.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Sideline pros need a good reason to make a change. I'm a mirrorless enthusiast, but they can't afford to take a risk unless there is some compelling benefit (like better glass, which there isn't yet for the sidelines). "Why change?" is easy for me to answer but harder for them.

Fair point. I'd argue Canon needs to sell 1DX-level users on the possibilities of what great AF all over the frame could do for their compositions. These folks have been relatively resolution limited (so 're-composing/re-framing via crop' is harder) and all their AF points are fairly central, so unique perspectives/compositions using the entire frame with working AF may be a nice driver.

Or Canon just tells them that they'll get +4 fps over their OVF setup, eliminate mirror slap and not need to leave their viewfinder. :LOL:

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
IBIS is great but not necessary. We’ve been shooting without it for years with DSLR. Stop being lazy and use proper technique. But being 2020 it’s pretty much standard in every other brand and is a reason for Canon shooters to complain and switch to other systems...Canon needs to step up and bring this feature to market.

Proper technique doesn't let you shoot a handheld waterfall or a very dark scene, but IS (in all its forms) helps you do that.

We can call it lazyness (I do hear you, I don't mean to sound flippant), but one simply can't take a tripod everywhere or add light to every scene. IS helps in many, many ways.

- A

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
my take is that Canon needs its core 1D users to continue to have confidence in EF for the next little while

If I'm a working pro and see:
  • A flurry of modern spot-on f/1.2 primes come out on RF while my EF 85 f/1.2L II continues to focus like a turtle on downers and my go-to EF 50L continues to be an erratic mess...
  • A staple pro tool comes out in the EF 70-200 f/2.8L III IS that turns out to be the same optical formula with just a new paint job and (I think) a front element coating all while the RF 70-200 gets utterly transformed...
...I'd start to lose faith that Canon was taking EF seriously as a top priority.

There are still many many brilliant things EF has that RF will not have for a long time, but that will slowly change.

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I think that if Canon can engineer a way to implement IBIS with lens IS to up stabilization to say 7 stops, and say 6 stops with non IS lenses it will be worth it to have it. True, IBIS isn’t really needed with IS lenses but I think that if they can add that extra stop or so my both IBIS and lens IS working in tandem, this can be important in getting the shot when needed,

At some point, stabilization doesn't matter if you are trying to stop the motion of your subject. It does't do any good good to shoot 1/30 sec if you subject requires 1/640 - 1/1000 th to stop motion. In addition, on subjects impacted by wind you will still enough shutter speed to freeze motion.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Proper technique doesn't let you shoot a handheld waterfall or a very dark scene, but IS (in all its forms) help you do that.

We can call it lazyness (I do hear you, I don't mean to sound flippant), but one simply can't take a tripod everywhere or add light to every scene. IS helps in many, many ways.

- A
Not just that; IBIS not only stabilizes the final product (the photo you take) but it also stabilizes what you see in the EVF, which further helps focusing.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
If I'm a working pro and see:
  • A flurry of modern spot-on f/1.2 primes come out on RF while my EF 85 f/1.2L II continues to focus like a turtle on downers and my go-to EF 50L continues to be an erratic mess...
  • A staple pro tool comes out in the EF 70-200 f/2.8L III IS that turns out to be the same optical formula with just a new paint job and (I think) a front element coating all while the RF 70-200 gets utterly transformed...
...I'd start to lose faith that Canon was taking EF seriously as a top priority.

There are still many many brilliant things EF has that RF will not have for a long time, but that will slowly change over time.

- A

I agree. My interpretation of the current strategy is that it's worse for Canon to have users sitting on the sidelines and not buying, when the company is hoping to sell an EF mount 1Dx. That's precisely where I find myself, not wanting to invest in EF and hoping the R bodies ramp up in performance soon. Hence the need for 1D users to be swayed by a combination of what the 1DX3 has to offer and EF itself, in order to reach their sales targets.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
IBIS is great but not necessary. We’ve been shooting without it for years with DSLR. Stop being lazy and use proper technique.
I can't physically hold my hand steady below a certain shutter speed. What on earth about that is "lazy"??? Are you saying it's lazy because I don't carry a tripod/monopod with me everywhere I go? It's pretty ridiculous to expect someone to have a tripod or monopod with them at all times. And again, sometimes it's just simply not practical or allowed. We don't all venture out on some kind of lofty virtuous mission to take photographs every time we shoot, complete with every conceivable piece of equipment possible. Some of us take shots in situations where a tripod/monopod just wouldn't work.

I shot this a couple years ago on the east side of Detroit at around 2am. I was on my way home and I noticed some fog was starting to roll in, which is rare for Detroit. So I spent a little time driving around the east side and taking photos. It would have been nice if I could have captured some more shadow detail, but I was already at f1.2 and the slowest shutter speed I could use hand held... You know, without IBIS.

Beyond the fact that I did not expect to have these weather conditions on this night, this is not an area that you want to spend a lot of time hanging around, especially at this time of night. And you most definitely do not want to attract attention to yourself and make it very apparent you have valuable camera gear on you by setting up a tripod. You will get robbed. So please just spare me this crap about "stop being lazy" when I ask for IBIS. Just because the way you take photos might warrant having a tripod with you at all times doesn't mean the way everyone else does also.

detnight.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
So what are you telling us? The Canon "wife" has a larger body but no stabilization and the Sony "lover" is lighter but harder to handle?:)

:D Well, Wives may not be soo exciting but when they want they make the"job done" even better than "lovers"!! haahahahah!

Well, of course this is a joke. The thing is...i am a wildlife photographer/videographer and also a photojournalist. This is what I do for living. Make no mistakes, Sony cameras can give you huge results, sensors are quite good! However, i do notice difference from sensors like 5dmkIII or 5dmkIV, from the 1dx mkII I never noticed such a huge difference in image quality. There is not. It can be different of course...42mp vs 20mp but not noticeable at least in a way we can see it "side by side". Canon bodies and ergonomics are good.Period. Canon menus and camera consistency are good. Period. Canon is reliable i had never missed a shot and never got colors messed up with the 1dxmkII, however I did have problems with Sony. I never had problems with cold with the 1dx mkII ( andI shoot sometimes in antarctica and high Arctic) i did with Sony. In video, i just love Canon 1dx mkII 4k image, and also love Sony image but Sony requires a lot more color editing than Canon. I now shoot video with the Sony Fs5 mkII and the atomos inferno so i dont film with hybrid bodies, but the new 1dxmkIII made me think i can go back to hybrids. Lets see what comes with this new ones in video.

In resume....A "lover" can be exciting....but at the end of the day, a Wife gives you stability, reliability, thrust, confidence in all situations. Andd.....if you ask gently....they can do "wild things" also!! :D :D

Ohhh.....about stabilization: It´s very handy for video, mostly! But nothing that IS dont give you! In most of the situations, I do prefer IS, but that´s just me, i don´t record video handheld, most of the times is in tripod with long lenses.

You can see here a teaser of the incoming documentary in Antarctica: This shots were made with Canon 1dx mkII and Sony A7r3, shot s with the FS5 are not in this teaser:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
It may be tough to face, but these are all rumors, correct? Can you state, factually, that Canon said they were releasing a mirrorless 1DX variant this year?

Nope didn't say that I do not know if or when they will release a 1dx mirrorless variant. I will quote a portion of the OP

"A known source has told us that the specifications posted did not match up with the next 2 EOS R cameras that are coming in the first half of 2020.
While the source said they couldn’t say too much at this time specification wise, it was mentioned that Canon will be “stepping it up a gear

That leads me to believe the 32mp 12fps IBIS camera rumored is incorrect. Based on this CR3 source the specs will be better. I take "stepping it up a gear" meaning going above normal or in the context of the OP of the prior rumor better than those specs. I would not bet money on it as this is a rumor site. You would think if the original rumor was within 10% or so of the specs nothing would have been mentioned. That leads me to speculate the specs may be closer to 40mp and 10 fps or so. I don't know.

Upvote 0
It may be tough to face, but these are all rumors, correct? Can you state, factually, that Canon said they were releasing a mirrorless 1DX variant this year?

Nope didn't say that I do not know if or when they will release a 1dx mirrorless variant.

I will quote a portion of the OP.
My take on this, yes....when the 1 series mirrorless version does get announced, it will most definitely be aimed at the sports/wildlife group that is currently purchasing the 1DX line of cameras.

I get to the woods before sunrise and usually stay for at least 3 hours. Much of that time is spent looking through the viewfinder. Unless they can do something to greatly improve that experience with an EVF I am going to pass. I am sure a solution will be worked out but how long I do not know.

Upvote 0
IBIS is great but not necessary. We’ve been shooting without it for years with DSLR. Stop being lazy and use proper technique. But being 2020 it’s pretty much standard in every other brand and is a reason for Canon shooters to complain and switch to other systems...Canon needs to step up and bring this feature to market.
I don't think it's always laziness - there are lots of places where it will help. I don't typically think of myself as someone that really needs IBIS, but I will say that it would have made a difference for me when I did a photo flight earlier this year. Even at 1/2000 of a second and f/2.8 (24-70 f/2.8L ii), and pretty high ISO to make that possible, I still found several images were unusable due to camera shake from vibration in the plane. Obviously there's not a lot I can do about that other than pump the shutter speed higher or make sure I'm using stabilization in one form or another. IBIS would have been a treat in that scenario.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I agree. My interpretation of the current strategy is that it's worse for Canon to have users sitting on the sidelines and not buying, when the company is hoping to sell an EF mount 1Dx. That's precisely where I find myself, not wanting to invest in EF and hoping the R bodies ramp up in performance soon. Hence the need for 1D users to be swayed by a combination of what the 1DX3 has to offer and EF itself, in order to reach their sales targets.

There eventually will come a tipping point that what mirrorless has to offer is worth at least a partial migration in the form of a second body.

For 1-series users, I'm assuming it's all about that glass -- there will eventually be enough great/unique/modern RF lenses that folks leaning on their 1DX3 shutters take notice and get in on RF (EVF, battery life, warts and all).

The question for 1DX3 users is: are RF superwhites a must for leaving 1DX-land? Or will just better versions of the f/2.8 zoom trinity or a staple standard prime be enough for you?

- A

Upvote 0
Things are in flux.

The great dSLR sell-off stampede swells. Hold onto your hats.

Hoping against hope CF cards will be in the mix. Sigh...I have so many, two still unopened!

Yeah. I've sold 6 and still have another dozen to go on eBay. Let's just say the demand for them is pretty soft now. If one of these R cameras has >7 fps with autofocus/tracking and >30 megapixels, I'll likely be buying back into Canon, but I did not expect these cards to be used. Either SD or something newer than CF. If I'm wrong, well, it's pretty cheap to get reliable used ones now.

Upvote 0
Nope didn't say that I do not know if or when they will release a 1dx mirrorless variant. I will quote a portion of the OP

"A known source has told us that the specifications posted did not match up with the next 2 EOS R cameras that are coming in the first half of 2020.
While the source said they couldn’t say too much at this time specification wise, it was mentioned that Canon will be “stepping it up a gear

That leads me to believe the 32mp 12fps IBIS camera rumored is incorrect. Based on this CR3 source the specs will be better. I take "stepping it up a gear" meaning going above normal or in the context of the OP of the prior rumor better than those specs. I would not bet money on it as this is a rumor site. You would think if the original rumor was within 10% or so of the specs nothing would have been mentioned. That leads me to speculate the specs may be closer to 40mp and 10 fps or so. I don't know.

I have no idea which part of the specs you assume (32mp/12fps/IBIS) is incorrect (in whole or in part). It may be that the new camera will receive (2) CF express card slots and not just one. It could mean that it indeed would have video RAW, as opposed to the original release that said it wouldn't. It's all speculative.

Speculating that it's be a 40mp sensor and 10 fps doesn't add up for me personally. Not if the EOS RS verson is to be around 60-75mp. The 32 would still give it a little bit better low light success as compared to the 40, IMHO.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Beyond the fact that I did not expect to have these weather conditions on this night, this is not an area that you want to spend a lot of time hanging around, especially at this time of night. And you most definitely do not want to attract attention to yourself and make it very apparent you have valuable camera gear on you by setting up a tripod. You will get robbed.

+1. I lived in LA for years, and it was by and large quite safe. But hanging out at night in the dark corner of a hillside or empty park to capture freeway light trails or some cityscape I would not dare attempt without a friend with me.

So I often made do without the tripod. I'm not saying IS is a tripod in a pinch, but there is no denying it can help.

- A

Upvote 0