Groundswell?

Jan 29, 2011
The EF range has 149 lenses in it, the RF range has 10, which would you say needed more R&D?
What lenses do feel the EF range is missing?
Do you think there is a need for sub $2,000 RF lenses?
Do you think there is a need for sub 2lb RF lenses?

Canon don't need to release any more EF lenses the selection is pretty complete, Canon do need to release RF lenses the selection is far from complete and what there is leaves many lens buyers out in the cold, price, weight, and size wise.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I expect a few consumer lenses to appear whenever Canon finds a way to decrease production costs or decides that the payback is high. Otherwise, they are going all out on RF lenses, they have stated that some R&D people have been assigned to lens design teams as well, they can't introduce new designs fast enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Oh for God's sake. How many times are we going to have to deal with idiots distorting what was actually said.

“As you know, last year we launched the RF mount and EOS R system. To date we’ve launched ten critically acclaimed lenses, and as it’s a new system we plan to continue this, launching more RF lenses while still fully supporting the EF lens system. And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF.”

Nothing particularly surprising or noteworthy here. And, certainly nothing saying Canon is in any way dropping or abandoning the EF lens lineup.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Oh for God's sake. How many times are we going to have to deal with idiots distorting what was actually said.

Nothing particularly surprising or noteworthy here. And, certainly nothing saying Canon is in any way dropping or abandoning the EF lens lineup.

If the statement was worded in such a way so as to still the hearts of EF devotees, they have succeeded! At least in your case.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
And if this old news delighted naysayers like you, they certainly succeeded.

In what way am I a "naysayer"? By saying, yes, I agree that Canon will be phasing out the EF mount, but it will remain legacy tech supported for years to come? That's what I've been saying for nearly two years. And two years ago I clearly wrote in this forum that I expected a glide path, that we'd see one final 1DX and maybe one more 5D. And was met with howls of derision and hostility.

I did not like feeling that Canon, and the industry as a whole, was using a gentle broom to sweep us towards mirrorless. I was worried, two years ago, about making big EF purchases, as I thought they would not hold their value. But then I tried the R, after it had been out for one year, and liked it so much that, in fact, I've gone all-in on mirrorless (except for the hardy little family-fun standby, my 80D, and a few lenses to use with it).

It's not only the recent news that Canon reps are publicly saying EF is being put on ice. It's the accelerated schedule for new Rf bodies. And it's the realization of how great it is to shoot with a good mirrorless camera and the amazing lenses Canon has made ONLY for Rf. I firmly believe the more photographers who try a good mirrorless will, sooner or later, give up on dSLR's, especially as the EVF tech improves and IBIS finds its way into pro-type bodies. And it's seeing other long time photographers I know personally making the switch or planning for it soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
In what way am I a "naysayer"? By saying, yes, I agree that Canon will be phasing out the EF mount, but it will remain legacy tech supported for years to come? That's what I've been saying for nearly two years. And two years ago I clearly wrote in this forum that I expected a glide path, that we'd see one final 1DX and maybe one more 5D. And was met with howls of derision and hostility.

I did not like feeling that Canon, and the industry as a whole, was using a gentle broom to sweep us towards mirrorless. I was worried, two years ago, about making big EF purchases, as I thought they would not hold their value. But then I tried the R, after it had been out for one year, and liked it so much that, in fact, I've gone all-in on mirrorless (except for the hardy little family-fun standby, my 80D, and a few lenses to use with it).

It's not only the recent news that Canon reps are publicly saying EF is being put on ice. It's the accelerated schedule for new Rf bodies. And it's the realization of how great it is to shoot with a good mirrorless camera and the amazing lenses Canon has made ONLY for Rf. I firmly believe the more photographers who try a good mirrorless will, sooner or later, give up on dSLR's, especially as the EVF tech improves and IBIS finds its way into pro-type bodies. And it's seeing other long time photographers I know personally making the switch or planning for it soon.
Well, you have started two threads this week about the demise of DSLRs, which to the casual observer looks like you are taliking it up. (Here and https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?threads/will-dslrs-be-sustained-only-by-nostalgia.38091/ )

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
But what statement or idea am I contradicting? What have I written that you see as incorrect regarding the future of the EF mount?
I haven't written or implied any of those things - I have just pointed out that you appear to be banging on and others have written that you appear to be crowing. Maybe you have no intention of doing either, but that's the impression you are giving.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I really don't know what Canon has left to do with the EF mount. They have made pretty much every lens under the sun possible for the EF mount, and most of them are almost flawless lenses. Aside from a few somewhat old designs that had the unfortunate timing of being too old to be an absolutely stellar new lens, but too new to be worth updating, I'd say Canon's work on EF is pretty much done. They have graduated to RF and all the possibilities that come with the shorter flange distance, and why wouldn't they at this point?

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I really don't know what Canon has left to do with the EF mount. They have made pretty much every lens under the sun possible for the EF mount, and most of them are almost flawless lenses. Aside from a few somewhat old designs that had the unfortunate timing of being too old to be an absolutely stellar new lens, but too new to be worth updating, I'd say Canon's work on EF is pretty much done. They have graduated to RF and all the possibilities that come with the shorter flange distance, and why wouldn't they at this point?
For me and quite a few others: ultra lightweight 300mm and 500mm telephotos using DO technology, like Nikon has done, plus some more lengths; a superzoom like Sony's 200-600mm, except lighter and extending. And, shorter flange distances don't seem advantageous for long telephotos.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
First, all of the lenses you're asking about are made for some pretty specific use cases, and would have huge price tags and a much smaller customer base compared to more normal lenses like a 24-70.

Whether people want to admit it or not, the EF mount is on its way out. It may not be dead, but you have to admit it's yesterday's mount. So what you're asking for boils down to niche lenses that will have a limited customer base to be designed for an older lens mount, all in the midst of a camera market that, as a whole, is shrinking dramatically.

How does it make any business sense for them to engineer the lenses you're asking for?

Second, aside from the 200-600 (of which Canon has never shown an appetite to make super tele zooms like this), all the lenses you're asking for have already been made, you're just asking for slightly lighter weight versions. Again for a lens that has a high price tag, a niche market, on an older lens mount, I can't see it being a very big priority for Canon to engineer a whole new lens to replace a model that works just fine just to save some weight.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
First, all of the lenses you're asking about are made for some pretty specific use cases, and would have huge price tags and a much smaller customer base compared to more normal lenses like a 24-70.

Whether people want to admit it or not, the EF mount is on its way out. It may not be dead, but you have to admit it's yesterday's mount. So what you're asking for boils down to niche lenses that will have a limited customer base to be designed for an older lens mount, all in the midst of a camera market that, as a whole, is shrinking dramatically.

How does it make any business sense for them to engineer the lenses you're asking for?

Second, aside from the 200-600 (of which Canon has never shown an appetite to make super tele zooms like this), all the lenses you're asking for have already been made, you're just asking for slightly lighter weight versions. Again for a lens that has a high price tag, a niche market, on an older lens mount, I can't see it being a very big priority for Canon to engineer a whole new lens to replace a model that works just fine just to save some weight.
I replied to your sweeping statement "They have made pretty much every lens under the sun possible for the EF mount" to show that they haven't. As for your new comments: Canon's 300mm f/4 was made 23 years ago, and is an antique; Canon has never made a lightweight 500mm. The Nikon prices are cheap compared with Canons - the 500mm f/5.6 PF is $3600, close to half the price of a 400mm DO II. It is in such demand that it is back-ordered with months of waiting lists in general, which isn't the hallmark of a niche product. I have used both the 400mm Canon and the Nikon 500mm telephotos. And, believe me, the 1.46 kg of the 500mm is a darn sight lighter to hold and hike with than the 2.15 kg + large hood of the 400mm (it's even lighter than the 100-400mm). Canon reengineered the relatively new 400mm f/4 II and 600mm f/4 II to version III just to save weight.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]the 500mm f/5.6 PF is $3600, close to half the price of a 400mm DO II. It is in such demand that it is back-ordered with months of waiting lists in general, which isn't the hallmark of a niche product.[..]

Being backordered only tells you that demand outstrips supply. Nikon could have produced just 2 of those lenses and have 5 on backorder. Judging from social media, there are a lot more in the field than just 2, though :)

Upvote 0