Two new EOS R bodies coming in the first half of 2020 [CR3]

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Is anyone using the R even if it uncomfortable to them? My 5D3 with L plate and handstrap are like a 2nd skin to me. That's the feeling I'm looking towards. I get the same feeling from the EOS 3 and the 7D series. Sony's felt like a toy, Oly's felt like a toy with a worse EVF. Fuji's are alright, I could see having an X100F for kicks. (3rd body)

I'm not one of those 'you'll get used to it' people. I know from the getgo. It's like car shopping and when you sit in the drivers seat it jus t clicks and there's no blind spots.
I’m using the EOS-R but I’m sorry, it’s not uncomfortable to me:)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I think that the R is a surprisngly good camera - this realisation comes after a couple of months of ownership. And a reasonable price now. Who knows what the new versions will deliver and what they will cost.
As good as it is, Canon seems to have spent a lot of time getting their technology to the next level. The advancements we see in the M6 II and 1DX II likely took them some good effort and investment cost. We've also see them chasing IBIS for what feels like an eternity. Once all these achievements materialize in a new mirrorless camera, we'll know for certain. But I believe it will be quite a significant upgrade over the R, which is after all just a first iteration.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Question to canon rumors, so does this mean better specs coming than those of the CR1 post?

Canon Rumors probably doesn't know that for sure. He's just forwarding what he have been told by his source.
But personally, I don't think it should be thought as a comparison to the other rumor. My interpretation of such a comment, is that Canon in general will be stepping up compared to its earlier releases with new technology and targeted more demanding users.
1DXIII (and 90D and M6II) has already demonstrated that Canon has developed new sensor technology improved in several ways, including much faster readout, which will be an advantage to mirrorless cameras in many ways.
1DXIII also introduced a new lowpass filter promising more sharpness and details, and a lot of other updated technology that we for sure will also be seen in some of the upcoming new mirrorless cameras.
Maybe Canon also have their IBIS technology ready now.

I don't know where the idea of an "EOS R Mark II" is on its way, is coming from? I think it is to early for a new version of that. I believe we are getting new models to supplement the R and RP. The RII rumors seems to me to be based only on questionable CR1 rumors and some peoples wishlist spec-lists. And they doesn't make much sense to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I would contend it was the first time someone really landed a glove on Canon strictly from the strength of a spec list.

Sony always had these Ferrari like specs, but the various A7/A9 cameras were easy to dismiss:
  • Few lenses
  • AF was a mess
  • Build quality issues, poor sealing
  • Limited third party ecosystem of stuff you could bolt on / interface with
  • Ergonomics as war crimes
  • Specs bristling with asterisks of nasty fine print, especially on compression of RAW files and true working fps
But they systematically attacked each limitation and worked it down to a point where the A7 III -- a comically loaded spec per dollar offering -- was worth trying. There was a mechanical shutter and uncompressed RAW at top fps. The lens portfolio is stronger now. The AF does not suck like it used to. (The grip is still a war crime, but maybe that's just me.)

So the question is, does Canon 'stoop to their level' and get into a spec-per-dollar war, or do they continue to lean on brand, argue 'a better-thought-through less is more' sales pitch, and innovate in the more nuanced (and potentially useful) areas that don't pop on a spec sheet: BR optics, adaptors as rear filtering opportunties, motorized auto positioning speedlite head, clever ergonomic integration of using all those DPAF points, etc.

I'm guessing it will be a bit of both.

- A
Not just you. The grip IS a crime against humanity. But they are even addressing that so cudos to them. As for the 'spec war'. They will probably have to offer the specs. Even if they are half assed but I hope they don't go down that path and just keep offering good quality, reliable and functional cameras. I want to take photos in all conditions and situations. I have no interest is getting into a spec war with Sony shooters in order to compensate for certain......deficiencies.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The RII rumors seems to me to be based only on questionable CR1 rumors and some peoples wishlist spec-lists. And they doesn't make much sense to me.
There are a bunch of times we heard about an R replacement coming soon. If the CR1 makes you doubtful, here's a CR2 rumors about it:

It just makes a ton of sense to update the R ASAP. Technology wise the R is at the same level as the 5D IV, and it is just a bad representation of what Canon can do now with their latest tech. After having spent what has to be a lot of time and money to develop that, why would they not want to harvest the fruits of those efforts as soon as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
And this is your first post? I call BS.
Not the first post. I dunno. That is what I was told. It was photographer doing also marketing for our country. He was shooting with 5d mk iv. We had discussion about eos R and he was unhappy about one card slot. Than he share, that 2020 will be bug. There will be two bodies - hight res and great low light camera. It is not reliable - just sharing what he said...

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
except existing R users will not take Canon very seriously and maybe future buyers too if the gap between releases is very small. Why the R II and not the R III ? ohh wait the R IV will be fantastic!

Sort of like Sony? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
As good as it is, Canon seems to have spent a lot of time getting their technology to the next level. The advancements we see in the M6 II and 1DX II likely took them some good effort and investment cost. We've also see them chasing IBIS for what feels like an eternity. Once all these achievements materialize in a new mirrorless camera, we'll know for certain. But I believe it will be quite a significant upgrade over the R, which is after all just a first iteration.
As far as I know, Canon has never referred to an upcoming R Mark II. The next medium res camera may be more of a 5D mirrorless than a R Mark II (with a price to match). They do seem to have the technology to make that kind of jump, but I don't think it will happen at the R price point.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
As far as I know, Canon has never referred to an upcoming R Mark II. The next medium res camera may be more of a 5D mirrorless than a R Mark II (with a price to match). They do seem to have the technology to make that kind of jump, but I don't think it will happen at the R price point.
Obviously Canon won't talk about any upcoming bodies before the actual announcement.

But if you read the rumors on this site, there is a lot of talk about an upcoming high resolution RF mount camera that replaces the 5DS line, and there also is talk of a replacement for the R. And to me that makes a lot of sense.

They literally have the technology to improve every single aspect of the R. Throughput, image quality, AF performance, battery life, you name it. If the R is what they intend most people to use, it should be their most attractive body.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Stop with this nonsense that IBS is unnecessary.
People have been making great photos without IBIS for more than 130 years. I have been making great photos without IBIS for more than 50 years. I take that to be proof that it is not necessary, though I recognize that it could be useful for some people—and gratifying for those who fall for every new gimmick that comes along.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
People have been making great photos without IBIS for more than 130 years. I have been making great photos without IBIS for more than 50 years. I take that to be proof that it is not necessary, though I recognize that it could be useful for some people—and gratifying for those who fall for every new gimmick that comes along.
People have been making great photos for more than 130 years, but a lot of the photos made today couldn't have been made 130 years ago. Every further advancement in photographic technology raises the bar of what is possible to capture. If there's technology out there that will allow me to capture something in a way I wouldn't have physically been able to before, then I want it.

If IBIS is such a gimmick, then why has lens IS stuck around and been an in-demand feature for decades?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
People have been making great photos for more than 130 years, but a lot of the photos made today couldn't have been made 130 years ago. Every further advancement in photographic technology raises the bar of what is possible to capture. If there's technology out there that will allow me to capture something in a way I wouldn't have physically been able to before, then I want it.

If IBIS is such a gimmick, then why has lens IS stuck around and been an in-demand feature for decades?
Walk past his house and he'll scream, "GET OFF MY LAWN!" ;) He's probably still stuck on film what with digital being such a gimmick and all.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

It is all possible. Also possible to live without internet. Also possible to walk and not drive. Etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0