Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT $399 (Reg $579), is a new flagship Speedlite coming?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We were told recently that Canon would be announcing a new flagship Speedliite ahead of CP+ next month, and this price drop may be evidence that the information is true.
This is the lowest price we’ve ever seen for this Speedlite from an authorized dealer.
Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT $399 (Reg $579)

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I hope the new flagship will introduce new tech for the mirrorless cameras. Currently on the R using the speedlites in low ligh situations is taking a massive hit for the run and gun game. The fps is down to 3 and there is a tremendous lag for the initial focus because the IR element is not helping the AF, missing crucial moments as a result. Making the AF lock instantly like on a dslr will make a massive difference.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I have been bouncing flashes for years :) , and I have not found it remotely difficult or time consuming to move the flash head, rather it makes you take your time and think out the shot. Add to that the motor that moves that head is going to race through batteries and I will give AI a miss I think. Anyone actually had experience with it on the new Canon Flash ?

Like the idea of reductions on the old one though as it is a great flashgun.

Wedding Photographer North East & Yorkshire Northumberland & Wedding Photographer Cumbria

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I own 2 600 RT version I of those. RT is so extremely easy to use, a charm. (Also, I have some yongnuo RT receivers (YNE3RX) to connect to studio strobes, a wonderful system).

I never liked the idea of that strange AI technology, for I like to provide the necessary intelligence myself... Is AI any good?

I have a bunch of regular speedlites and Godox 360s.

For a wedding last autumn, I bought the basic AI flash refurb, and it was fun to use. I could easily get by without using it. But it also worked good.

One very nice thing was how quiet it operated. Almost silent instead of the rattling clicking and clacking of many speedlites doing bounce flash.

Put in few words, it was quiet, fun and affordable to use.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I hope the new flagship will introduce new tech for the mirrorless cameras. Currently on the R using the speedlites in low ligh situations is taking a massive hit for the run and gun game. The fps is down to 3 and there is a tremendous lag for the initial focus because the IR element is not helping the AF, missing crucial moments as a result. Making the AF lock instantly like on a dslr will make a massive difference.

All of what you've mentioned, plus A BATTERY LEVEL INDICATOR, PLEASE!

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
All of what you've mentioned, plus A BATTERY LEVEL INDICATOR, PLEASE!
Alas, this is unlikely. AA batteries have no self monitoring to report their level or type. Since a device using AA's has no way to know if alkalines, Ni-Cads, Ni-MH, Li have been installed, all with different draw down rates, it's really impossible to have a battery level indicator that can show anything meaningful.

• Sad
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I never liked the idea of that strange AI technology, for I like to provide the necessary intelligence myself... Is AI any good?

It is fantastic, if they moved it into a 600 MkIII I’d get one immediately. It works really well for function type work and is particularly effective if you mix up portrait and landscape orientations, it just deals with that flip automatically.

The 470 EX Ai doesn’t work, well the Ai bit, on the M cameras, which I think is a huge mistake by Canon.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Alas, this is unlikely. AA batteries have no self monitoring to report their level or type. Since a device using AA's has no way to know if alkalines, Ni-Cads, Ni-MH, Li have been installed, all with different draw down rates, it's really impossible to have a battery level indicator that can show anything meaningful.

One of the many, many reasons why it's time to retire AA batteries from Speedlites and move onto lithium batteries. How about a flash that takes LP-E6 batteries? Or better still a system like on the Godox where there's a battery-shaped hole that the battery clicks into without needing a battery compartment door (the first thing that always fails on flashes).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I have been bouncing flashes for years :) , and I have not found it remotely difficult or time consuming to move the flash head, rather it makes you take your time and think out the shot. Add to that the motor that moves that head is going to race through batteries and I will give AI a miss I think. Anyone actually had experience with it on the new Canon Flash ?

Like the idea of reductions on the old one though as it is a great flashgun.

Wedding Photographer North East & Yorkshire Northumberland & Wedding Photographer Cumbria
I have 7 600EX-RT’s, and a wide variety of studio flashes and have been bouncing on camera flash since the 550EX was new. The 470ex Ai is an amazing tool in the right situation and in my opinion the only thing it lacks is the RT so it could be the on camera controller for remotes. The auto bounce functionality is amazing and I find the best use for it is when you are going from portrait to landscape mode continually, it just tracks what you are doing and always ends up where it needs to be. You can even set the bounce angle as normal and then get it to adjust for the different orientations.

For fast moving event style photography, family gatherings, receptions etc etc where I can use a single on camera flash it is my first choice.

Upvote 0
One of the many, many reasons why it's time to retire AA batteries from Speedlites and move onto lithium batteries. How about a flash that takes LP-E6 batteries? Or better still a system like on the Godox where there's a battery-shaped hole that the battery clicks into without needing a battery compartment door (the first thing that always fails on flashes).
Yea, I would also like the idea of LP-E6 batteries for flashes. Charger and battery sharing with the camera and it is a really powerful battery unit, so you wouldn't need that inconvenient external battery case with, again, 8 AA batteries. But a battery door would still be needed for weather sealing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have 7 600EX-RT’s, and a wide variety of studio flashes and have been bouncing on camera flash since the 550EX was new. The 470ex Ai is an amazing tool in the right situation and in my opinion the only thing it lacks is the RT so it could be the on camera controller for remotes. The auto bounce functionality is amazing and I find the best use for it is when you are going from portrait to landscape mode continually, it just tracks what you are doing and always ends up where it needs to be. You can even set the bounce angle as normal and then get it to adjust for the different orientations.

For fast moving event style photography, family gatherings, receptions etc etc where I can use a single on camera flash it is my first choice.

OK, after watching a few demonstration videos, yes, I agree, the semi-automatic AI mode that compensates for orientation changes seems a beneficial function (that is, if the orientation change of the camera is in the right direction such that the flash can compensate for it, obviously.) Might be nice.

I rarely use speedlites on camera, for in most of my setups I only put the transmitter on the camera and place the speedlites somewhere in the room. And in those rare cases when I use the flash on camera I don't use slaves, so I wouldn't miss the RT function on the 470EX-AI too much, but I would still be annoyed not to be able to use the 470-AI as an RT-slave. So, yes, this is a serious lack of feature.

By the way, the MR-14EX II came out shortly after the 600 RT and it also didn't include RT, which I also found a very sad omission, because the ringlite would make an excellent RT master (it is only an optical master). At least the current twinlite MT-26-EX-RT has RT built into it, so that makes it possible to use 600-RT as RT-slaves in macro photography, which is great.
I really find it very weird not to put the RT function into every flash. Even a 90EX speedlite would be an excellent RT-master (it is only an optical master).

Upvote 0