Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!

Former Swiss De Havilland DH 112 Venom now in RNZAF markings
Clearly a successor to DH-100 Vampire.. :p
I read somewhere about the development of the Learjet; it was found that the wingtip tanks should be hanging slightly below the wingtips for optimum aerodynamic performance but they were centered later because it looked more appealing.. So some range was actually thrown away for cosmetic reasons! It was probably unknown when DH-112 was designed :)

Before you invite a Vampire or Venom to your airshow, consider this

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Clearly a successor to DH-100 Vampire.. :p
I read somewhere about the development of the Learjet; it was found that the wingtip tanks should be hanging slightly below the wingtips for optimum aerodynamic performance but they were centered later because it looked more appealing.. So some range was actually thrown away for cosmetic reasons! It was probably unknown when DH-112 was designed :)

Before you invite a Vampire or Venom to your airshow, consider this

:LOL: Sheesh - the Goblin and Ghost jets aren't even that powerful!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Last day at Omaka last Easter and it was cold and wet but humid - perfect for prop tip vortices. I hadn't realised it yet, but the mounts of the camera and lens had been damaged causing some over exposure - CPS and insurance covered it luckily :)

RNZAF NH-90
NZ Day 5 (71).jpg

Yak-3 Full Noise (they have since added a radial engined Yak-3, SteadFast, to their collection
NZ Day 5 (81).jpg

Yak-52
NZ Day 5 (100).jpg

Spitfire XIVe (Griffon powered) stirring up the birds.
NZ Day 5 (41).jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Great shots. Well done, Roo.
d055.gif

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks Click and Graham! Much appreciated.

It was as stupid error Graham - I'd carried it in over my shoulder attached to the collapsed monopod but had to put it down to put a shoulder strap on and attach the second camera. It had been raining and, instead of just resting it on the ground as normal, I stood it up against a bin...seemed stable but big mistake. While I was adjusting the second camera, it the did the slow slide down and landed back corner of camera first. It didn't look like much of an impact with the soft ground but obviously most of the impact went through the lens mount, pulling the top part out slightly. Luckily, I had the raincover on it most of the day. The repair would have been just under $2k but CPS gives 30% off and insurance covered it anyway.

Yak-52s seemed to be having a competition to see who could get their gear up closest to ground
NZ Day 5 (94).jpg

NZ Day 5 (96).jpg

de Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk
NZ Day 5 (64).jpg

Another shot of the Griffon Spitfire
NZ Day 5 (35).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Another shot of the Griffon Spitfire [...]
Another set of great shots! Nice panning on the Yak's and on the Spitfire; perfect balance of shutter speed vs. plane & prop speeds - you can just see the Griffon engined Spitfire must have had the 5 bladed propeller (y)
Sorry to hear about the damage, hope it is all repaired to your satisfaction; lucky you had the insurance coverage...!
W.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
My guess is you are not the first person to lean a camera on a monopod against something and have it slide, I don’t suppose you will be the last, I guess you were just unlucky with the impact angle.
Another nice series, got to love a Spitfire, any Spitfire.
Although the Griffon engined variants were necessary the Merlin engined versions are definitely better proportioned, that long Griffon nose just slightly spoils the look in my opinion.

Cheers, Graham.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks Click, Wiebe and Graham

The camera and lens are good as new but I did have my only CFast fail on the Thursday before the show. Being Easter weekend and a small country town, there was no where to get a CFast or even a CF replacement. Switched all my CF cards to the 1D and picked up a SD for the 5D on the Saturday morning - that caused me to get stuck in traffic to the show and I missed getting shots of the 3 Spitfire formation (MkIX, Tr9 and MkXIV)... looked good from the road though!

Spitfire MkIX
Spitfire MkIX (1 of 1).jpg

Mustang P-51D
NZ Day 4 (1 of 9).jpg

How many Yaks/Nanchangs can you fit in one image?
NZ Day 3 (130 of 252).jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
Excellent series, but the b&w treatment on the Spitfire, very evocative. (y)(y)

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks Click, Wiebe and Graham

The camera and lens are good as new but I did have my only CFast fail on the Thursday before the show. Being Easter weekend and a small country town, there was no where to get a CFast or even a CF replacement. Switched all my CF cards to the 1D and picked up a SD for the 5D on the Saturday morning - that caused me to get stuck in traffic to the show and I missed getting shots of the 3 Spitfire formation (MkIX, Tr9 and MkXIV)... looked good from the road though!

Spitfire MkIX
View attachment 188267

Upvote 0