Major Canon announcements in February and May of this year [CR2]

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I have already bought RF 15-35 amd RF 24-70 to keep company to my RF 24-105 and RF 35 bought with an R body during Black Friday offers. I am almost done for 2020 (but I am not 100% sure for this! Its just January :ROFLMAO:)

EDIT: The two 2.8 L zooms negate somehow the small size and weight of EOS R though. I guess physics cannot be bypassed :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
I want a Canon body to blow away Sony A7RIV.
What a silly fanboy comment. Canon certainly need to bring out a decent camera to match the high quality, expensive lenses they have. One thing is for sure, Canon need to get their pricing right. The EOS R is currently (here in the UK) £395 more expensive than the A7III, which has had a price drop (and there’s a cashback offer until the end of this month) and offers less for your money (also including lens choices). The A7RIV competitor needs to be better than it in terms of specs plus should be around the same price. If they release another camera that offers less for more money, Canon will surely lose out on vital sales. As it is, the current lens lineup, limited to expensive L lenses will put plenty off for now. Let’s hope they deliver a decent camera, at least. We can all speculate but only time will tell though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It was released. It's called the 1DX mk iii. A workhorse so durable that I don't think Sony has anything comparable to. Although, even the pro grade construction of the 1DX mk ii we much better too for actual total build. The 1DX mk iii has reams of features I'd never need, but it's understandable why so many photographers stick with the 1DX line. The weight is reasonable too. I've heard some make rediculous comments like "arms falling off" at the end of the day, but I use a chainsaw often, and the 1DX bodies are "light as a feather" by comparison.

This woman seems to have no problem using a 1DX mk iii in the field.

I like weight to a camera to be honest.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
I like weight to a camera to be honest.

That's something that many people online miss. A huge amount of wildlife and sports photography uses nothing shorter than 300mm 2.8 lenses and usually much longer. I've tried using the Sonys with adapted great whites - it is incredibly unbalanced. Even the 5D can feel a bit unbalanced.

Of course for "vloggers", hikers and travel photography then small and light is an advantage but for many serious applications the larger size and weight of the 1D line makes perfect sense.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
Tony Northrup seemed partly dubious, autumn 2018. Recently he released a video about transition to EOS R for video. Interesting how entanglement in specs got so many people to lose track of some simple practices. Unfortunately, content posters like Polin and Northrup have put themselves in a position where they can't wait a half year to utter a more well rounded opinion.

PS .. in the video, I think Northrup set things up intentionally for demo purpose. Later into the video it changes as the narrative continues.

At 2:51 is where he reveals the camera being used.

You're right that people got too swayed by the specs. What threw me at first was that I was expecting something with the same controls as the SLR line up and I was surprised, dismayed even, that Canon had gone a different route. But whatever one might otherwise criticise Canon for, they know ergonomics. And I found the touch screen is so good that it really does work as a pretty effective replacement for the joystick. Also I hadn't realised how useful having the control ring would be, effectively adding another dial to the body. The camera feels lovely to hold and I think once we get some less "extreme" lenses, some more f/1.8 primes and f/4 zooms, it will offer a very balanced package.

I know many criticise him but Northrup isn't too bad as "internet reviewers" go and I am not surprised that he came round to understand the R system. Moreover he grasps that lenses are important and Canon has been hitting home run after home run on that score with the RF lenses. Polin, while I kind of admire the way he has carved a career out of a zany persona, I don't really pay attention to as the whole "you're not a pro without a 2.8 zoom" line just gets tedious. He can be funny at times but is too abrasive. He was in the last generation of photographers who could graduate with film, get regular work for average output and I believe he got lucky with being hired to photograph some bands - hence his obsession with fast lenses and extreme wide angles - zoom out to 12mm, put the end of the guitar in focus, make it black and white and you have your "art". As I said, I sincerely admire the fact he has managed to transition to another career but I wouldn't lend any weight to his reviews - it doesn't shock me one bit if he doesn't like the R.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
What a silly fanboy comment. Canon certainly need to bring out a decent camera to match the high quality, expensive lenses they have. One thing is for sure, Canon need to get their pricing right. The EOS R is currently £395 (here in the UK) more expensive than the A7III, which has had a price drop (and there’s a cashback offer until the end of this month) and offers less for your money (also including lens choices). The A7RIV competitor needs to be better it in terms of specs plus should be around the same price. If they release another camera that offers less for more money, Canon will surely lose out on vital sales. As it is, the current lens lineup, limited to expensive L lenses will put plenty off for now. Let’s hope they deliver a decent camera, at least. We can all speculate but only time will tell though.
And one gets the built in buffalo skin tones with the Sony. Canon can't hope to ever top that. :p

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
It was released. It's called the 1DX mk iii. A workhorse so durable that I don't think Sony has anything comparable to. Although, even the pro grade construction of the 1DX mk ii we much better too for actual total build. The 1DX mk iii has reams of features I'd never need, but it's understandable why so many photographers stick with the 1DX line. The weight is reasonable too. I've heard some make rediculous comments like "arms falling off" at the end of the day, but I use a chainsaw often, and the 1DX bodies are "light as a feather" by comparison.

This woman seems to have no problem using a 1DX mk iii in the field.

Awesome video.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I think everyone needs to realize that Canon and Sony both make excellent equipment for photography. I have used Canon 1Dx Mk2 with their 400 mm f2.8 III lenses as well as Sony A9 II with a vertical grip along with their 400 mm f2.8 lens. Both take excellent pictures and for me both balance well in the hand. Without a vertical grip the Sony alpha cameras are uncomfortable for me to use, but adding the vertical grip solves that issue at least for me. Personally, I like the fact that the a9II with vertical grip weighs 1+ lb less than 1Dx Mk2. At least for me as I get older any loss of mass is appreciated.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
What a silly fanboy comment. Canon certainly need to bring out a decent camera to match the high quality, expensive lenses they have. One thing is for sure, Canon need to get their pricing right. The EOS R is currently £395 (here in the UK) more expensive than the A7III, which has had a price drop (and there’s a cashback offer until the end of this month) and offers less for your money (also including lens choices). The A7RIV competitor needs to be better it in terms of specs plus should be around the same price. If they release another camera that offers less for more money, Canon will surely lose out on vital sales. As it is, the current lens lineup, limited to expensive L lenses will put plenty off for now. Let’s hope they deliver a decent camera, at least. We can all speculate but only time will tell though.
I think you left out the '1' before the 395

• Wow
Upvote 0
Honestly, I'm a bit surprised by a7s note - I have a hard time believing that one.

I feel like if Canon did decide to create such a body, it may not touch on the needs of those clamouring for it for one reason or another. I mean, Canon does have a very well rounded video platform in their cinema cameras but they may not suit the needs of many asking for improved video features in mirrorless bodies due to ether price/size/weight/need for hybrid use etc. The best example of a product that could fit this niche previously made by Canon would be the 1DC, but even there the price was well above and beyond that of all other Canon DSLRs in the lineup. Wasn't it $15,000 USD on release in 2012?

This isn't to say it's not going to happen, but if Canon creates a mirrorless body with incredible low-light video performance in a hybrid shooting form factor, I can't see it being a low-price body and I wonder how many potential buyers would remain. I guess between all the rumours proposed in this article, the a7s competitor seems lowest probability on my betting list. But then again, I've been wrong before and I will be wrong again!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
What would a 32 MP crop translate to in a FF sensor with the same size and density of pixels?
Thank you.
Crop sensor = 22.30mm X 14.90mm = 332mm ²
FF sensor = 35.8mm x 23.9mm = 856 mm²

856/332 = 2.58

32 X 2.58 = 82.56

A FF sensor with the same pixel size/density as a 32mp crop sensor would be 82.56mp.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It was released. It's called the 1DX mk iii.

I don't see a single crossover point for the two cameras. It's like saying the Nikon D6 is Nikons answer to the 5Dsr (or more relevantly the high megapixel R mount camera rumor).

Compare the A9 II and the 1DX III, but be honest, Canon do not sell a modern camera in the A7R IV market segment yet. That would be the rumored high MP R, or the 5DSr replacement.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I hope you enjoy it. I was dubious about the R but having bought one I love it and the lenses are wonderful.

My advice would be to take a bit of time to set it up. The Touch Bar can be customised a great deal and I've come to enjoy using it. Most buttons can be remapped. Assuming you're coming from an SLR it might take a bit of time to get your mind dialled in to it but once set up I find it as easy to use and as intuitive as the 5D. Remember you can use the touchscreen as a replacement for the joystick and the control ring on the lens to replace the back main dial (or anything else).

If you find a good deal on it and you like grips I strongly recommend the battery grip - it really makes it a pleasure to use, especially if adapting any larger EF glass.

Oh and perhaps obvious but make sure you're on the latest firmware - Canon has really improved the camera enormously from the earlier firmware. I never thought I would have that to say about Canon! :)
Anyone want to speculate whether or not the new R bodies will use the BG-E22 grip, or a new grip model? I've gotten to the point of wanting a grip, but reluctant to order from the USA at $250 (order from USA because it's $600 in Canada), only to have it worth less than $100 when the R is replaced in the lineup later this year maybe.

Upvote 0

Laslen

5D Mark III
Oct 18, 2014
We need a competitor for the A9 series. Considering the A9/A9II specs, and being $2000 less than the 1DX, it is extremely tempting for wildlife and sports. I must admit I was tempted until I tested out some of Sony's G and GM lenses, and frankly they're awful.

A low-light RF would be interesting, but I feel there's a stronger need right now for one that is designed for sports and wildlife.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Anyone want to speculate whether or not the new R bodies will use the BG-E22 grip, or a new grip model? I've gotten to the point of wanting a grip, but reluctant to order from the USA at $250 (order from USA because it's $600 in Canada), only to have it worth less than $100 when the R is replaced in the lineup later this year maybe.
An L Plate is my dual purpose small body enlarger!

Upvote 0
yes and no
Birders who have rigs setup wont complain about the 1dx and big whites

But most birders don’t like weight
They have to fly to their destination with it and sometimes you don’t have porters and hence have to carry your gear long distances
size is also a negative
I do a lot of scuba photography and that entire field is going mirrorless because the housing for a 1dx is massive because the camera is already large

I think the best word is balance with nature photography. Sony is a bit too small but the 1dx is a bit too large. The 7d was very popular for many reasons

That's something that many people online miss. A huge amount of wildlife and sports photography uses nothing shorter than 300mm 2.8 lenses and usually much longer. I've tried using the Sonys with adapted great whites - it is incredibly unbalanced. Even the 5D can feel a bit unbalanced.

Of course for "vloggers", hikers and travel photography then small and light is an advantage but for many serious applications the larger size and weight of the 1D line makes perfect sense.

Upvote 0