Major Canon announcements in February and May of this year [CR2]

interesting, twitter where?
Personally I'd be interested in IBIS but I'm more interested in good sensor and DR.

Hmm, there is a new Twitter post stating, that IBIS is not going to be available on all 2020 R camera bodies. That would be weird. IBIS + new AF-ON button should become a common standard from now on. They are going to be smashed badly for that, as even Canon users are expecting IBIS nowadays.

Upvote 0
Hmm, there is a new Twitter post stating, that IBIS is not going to be available on all 2020 R camera bodies. That would be weird. IBIS + new AF-ON button should become a common standard from now on. They are going to be smashed badly for that, as even Canon users are expecting IBIS nowadays.
depends entirely on the camera. not even Sony puts IBIS in every camera they make and neither does Fuji or Nikon.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
these cameras have zero to do with the olympics. Canon will do an announcement in May for PhotoKina.

The main Olympic camera is already released and Canon will be pumping that camera a ton during the Olympics.
Sure they do. Its marketing. The Summer Olympics is THE marketing showcase for cameras. Always has been. Much respect for Photokina but its not even in the league as the Summer Olympics

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Sure they do. Its marketing. The Summer Olympics is THE marketing showcase for cameras. Always has been. Much respect for Photokina but its not even in the league as the Summer Olympics
In May, nobody will give a hoot about a new Canon camera. As nobody cared when Sony released its new camera late summer of the last summer Olympics.

Upvote 0

come on with the ibis puhleeeeez canon I cant take the freaking whining anymore and 4k? please give the "content creators" 4k!

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
In the EF mount, does anyone know if Canon actually cooperated with Zeiss for the ZE lenses and Voigtlander for their EF mount glass? I remain a bit jealous of the amazing glass that Voigtlander is putting out for Sony's FE mount and would love to have some of those options for RF. Unless Canon is planning to make a manual focus 40mm 1.2 (haha)) why not let Voigtlander produce it for RF?
Pretty sure that Canon will not directly cooperate with Zeiss or Voigtlander, they never did before (as far as I know). I think they are too proud of their proven ability to make very good lenses by themselves. Plus, there were always offerings from other manufacturers for the EF mount, Sigma, Tampon, Tonika... Zeiss without direct cooperation. So they can rely on the other manufacturers to come up with lenses for the RF mount, including manual focusing lenses, - IF Canon manages to get a big enough share of the FF ML market. (I am pretty sure they will.)

Sony had to be more open in terms of cooperation when they started with their A7 series, since a fast growth of a decent, attractive lens selection for their E mount was vital for establishing their new camera line. Plus, the first FF lenses from Sony were mostly quite mediocre quality, what has changed in the past years, now they really do serious business. Btw I always have to silently giggle when I see their shiny, much too white lenses. Sony behaves like a hip hopper who managed to successfully overcome his poor roots, made a lot of fresh money, and who now tries to look like old money :devilish:

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
these cameras have zero to do with the olympics. Canon will do an announcement in May for PhotoKina.

The main Olympic camera is already released and Canon will be pumping that camera a ton during the Olympics.
People have no clue about what goes on at the Olympics. They believe thar photogs carry their "main" event camera around everywhere for two weeks

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Your last part is always worth remembering - the best photographer I know uses a 5D III and lots of quite beaten up ZE lenses. You could give me a 1000 mp RSX Mark 12 and I still wouldn't make as good photos.
I agree. For instance, Sebastião Salgado shoots with Canon gear. We can be sure that he exactly knows why. And, as an outstanding photographer, well, one of the greatest of our time, he gets stunning results (he would with any gear, he did with manual film gear for many decades). As a fan, I always have his photography in mind, when I read all this hate on DPR and other photo forums, if any Canon announcement comes up.

Here is a quote from Salgado that I found on the German Canon site:

"Photography is about much more than just taking pictures - it is a way of life."

Today, all cameras are so good, so sophisticated, that you can't blame your gear if your images don't satisfy you (and others). I - just a humble amateur but long-term experienced - think, that the two most important features of your gear should be: it should not interfere with your way of shooting (ergonomics should help you), and particularly if you frequently do photo walks (climbings, crawlings ;)) in rugged areas, it should be as reliable as possible. That's why I personally stick with Canon.

Upvote 0
interesting, twitter where?
Personally I'd be interested in IBIS but I'm more interested in good sensor and DR.

The original article had been posted yesterday, and the last sentence said "More to come a bit later today "... But nothing came or did I miss something?

It's under the Canon Rumours Twitter feed ... There's other one there :)

1579597995284.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
"Another source has said it won’t be the EOS R Mark II in the first half, but a lower megapixel body to “rival the A7 S line”."

If this is true, I'll have to drain a bit my bank account. I'd LOVE to have a low MP low light beast from Canon. They should also make the high MP fans happy, of course, but hello, Canon, there are also people like me waiting for a new low-light wonder from your brand!

Upvote 0