Preorder: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III with bonuses and a giveaway

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
^^^ THIS ^^^
When I consider the total group of shooters who spend money on big glass (as in pricey), in the uk at least, it’s dominated by birders, wildlife and then landscape shooters. I’d be surprised if there are more than a hundred sports pros, perhaps the same again fashion show shooters and I’ll guess about that again general journalist photographers. I’m probably over counting. There’s likely thousands of birders alone in the South of England.

just look at the propensity of YouTube videos on wildlife and birding subjects.

Yet here in 2020 I gave to compromise with a 5D V and a 1DX mkIi as a combo when I’d wager many many of use want 30MP 10-12 FPS and war horse build quality
I'm with you on this but I sincerely hope Canon did their homework and have the correct information about their customer base. I also believe that the actual numbers for the "pro" users are inflated and I think that more 1DX's might be actually purchased by wealthy enthusiasts but of course, this is just a hunch, I have no information about it.
I guess time and sales will tell if Canon's decision was right...

Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
Hi Guys!
I got an newsletter from the local professional shop. The camera will cost 7360 Euros in Austria. What an incredible price. This is 1050 Euros more than the Mark 2 version at the time of announcement. Wow.

I was until reading the heavily pricing thinking of buying the Mark III. But as an non-professional this is definitively to much. Professional photographers will need all this new features, but for me price vs. performance is not in relation.

Daniela

7.360€ in Austria ;
6.850€ in Switzerland;
124€ return(!) plane ticket Vienna-Zurich...

Upvote 0
The only people complaining about 20mp vs 24 mp are people who were never going to buy one. For me, all my images are going to be maximum full bleed in a magazine or newspaper - for which 20mpx has always been fine. The rest is consumed online. If I wanted to shoot for a billboard, I'd find a larger sensor and go back to 1995 when that might be relevant. As it is, this release is the second exciting Canon release (the first being the M6 mk2). It's nice to see Canon be (by their standards at least) aggressive. I'll be picking up a 1DX3 this summer when it's upgrade time.
you might just need a rebel XT!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The only people complaining about 20mp vs 24 mp are people who were never going to buy one. For me, all my images are going to be maximum full bleed in a magazine or newspaper - for which 20mpx has always been fine. The rest is consumed online. If I wanted to shoot for a billboard, I'd find a larger sensor and go back to 1995 when that might be relevant. As it is, this release is the second exciting Canon release (the first being the M6 mk2). It's nice to see Canon be (by their standards at least) aggressive. I'll be picking up a 1DX3 this summer when it's upgrade time.
That is sim[ply not true. I print 20" x 30" and 24" x 36", I would very much like 24mp rather than 20mp and I own two 1D X II's. Anybody that holds up the billboard meme doesn't understand printing, many of us output to sizes bigger than a double spread and have viewing distances less than 100 yards.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
That is sim[ply not true. I print 20" x 30" and 24" x 36", I would very much like 24mp rather than 20mp and I own two 1D X II's. Anybody that holds up the billboard meme doesn't understand printing, many of us output to sizes bigger than a double spread and have viewing distances less than 100 yards.

In which case, if that is a frequent issue, why on earth are you shooting on a 1DX II instead of a 5D? you've either decided you don't print A0 or bigger frequently enough to warrant it, so moot point, or you are using the wrong tool for the job. Neither is a solid position for this opinion.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
In which case, if that is a frequent issue, why on earth are you shooting on a 1DX II instead of a 5D? you've either decided you don't print A0 or bigger frequently enough to warrant it, so moot point, or you are using the wrong tool for the job. Neither is a solid position for this opinion.
That is so easy for you to say but you don't walk in my shoes!

I have used 1 series cameras since the 1V, I have nearly 20 years of form factor and muscle memory invested in the 1 series. I owned 1DS MkIII's when they were the best of everything you could get, Canon decided to not give me a 1 series MP upgrade since 2008, that I get by with 20mp (and have done since 2008) doesn't mean I couldn't use 24mp. I have an iPF Pro-2000 in my office so printing to those sizes is very simple for me.

Now should I be using a 5DS/r ? Maybe, but that won't give me the reliability, durability, functionality or speed I am used to, so my trade off is not simply MP's, it is abandon all I know and use solely for MP's, or keep what I have and I am used to for even longer. If I am shooting a session I might take 400 images, only one needs printing to a large size, how do I know which camera to use for that one shot? Often it is in a sequence that requires the fps of a 1 series.

No, your blanket statement falls very flat in my world.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
This isn't about Schengen border control. Switzerland is not part of the EU and hence, you should be paying VAT. Should.

Switzerland is not part of the EU, but is part of Schengen, so :
- there is no customs controls between .CH and EU.
- you can have your Swiss VAT refund because it exceeds 300CHF, if you want:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Had a chance to try out the new 1DX Mark III. The new focus point control system/AF On button is outstanding from what I was able to tell in the few minutes I had to check it out. Otherwise it feels identical in the hand to the 1DX Mark II which, despite the weight, has the best ergonomics of any camera I’ve ever owned. I hope that pointer/AF On button is going to work it’s way down the line because it’s a winner in my opinion.
It’s nice to have something good to say for a change. Canon innovation at its best. Didn’t even know I needed that.

Upvote 0

I have used 1 series cameras since the 1V, I have nearly 20 years of form factor and muscle memory invested in the 1 series. I owned 1DS MkIII's when they were the best of everything you could get, Canon decided to not give me a 1 series MP upgrade since 2008, that I get by with 20mp (and have done since 2008) doesn't mean I couldn't use 24mp. I have an iPF Pro-2000 in my office so printing to those sizes is very simple for me.

Now should I be using a 5DS/r ? Maybe, but that won't give me the reliability, durability, functionality or speed I am used to, so my trade off is not simply MP's, it is abandon all I know and use solely for MP's, or keep what I have and I am used to for even longer. If I am shooting a session I might take 400 images, only one needs printing to a large size, how do I know which camera to use for that one shot? Often it is in a sequence that requires the fps of a 1 series.

I’m also disappointed that there wasn’t a bump to 24MP. If you need to crop a page size vertical out of a horizontal composition those 4 MP would make a noticeable difference even at 8 1/2 x 11.
I was told that 20 MP was a customer driven spec and that the premier sports shooters they target didn’t want a file size ncrease. Don’t know if that’s true or not. I do think we are at the point where 20 MP might not be enough for general purpose use. I edit on a 5k monitor so I’m basically at 100% display as soon as I open the file.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016

I have used 1 series cameras since the 1V, I have nearly 20 years of form factor and muscle memory invested in the 1 series.

Ah! So you're lazy. I understand. Same ecosystem, same menu system... but no. "20 years of muscle memory" indeed!

Now should I be using a 5DS/r ? maybe, but that won't give me the reliability, durability, functionality or speed I am used to, so my trade off is not simply MP's,

Yes, and yes they will. The weather sealing is excellent, the functionality as discussed is what you actually need, and as you've yet to define what you need high speed large megapixel images of, no-one can help you there.
[/QUOTE]

The irony is incredible. Your arguments for not moving to a more useful camera are non-existent, meaning you likely just want to feel important with your 1 Series, or are making much of this up to sound big online. Either way, it's ridiculous. Good luck.

Upvote 0