Canon will release four new full-frame cameras in 2020 [CR2]

Laslen

5D Mark III
Oct 18, 2014
Hahaha it really is. It makes me giggle. They all complain but they will still buy. Sony made a a7s2 a while ago and haven’t replaced it cause it sells canon knows they need to go after that market as well as the high pixel market. People on here bitch about to low of pixels and too many pixels. They complain about one card slot and they complain about cost, it’s like they don’t even go out and play with their toys that are so capable of doing more than they know what to do with but they feel the need to sound like democrats and republicans. If your camera only has one card slot, but a bigger memory card, if files are to big buy a better computer or more storage. Hey now I sound like everyone on this forum.
I don't think you understand the benefit of having 2 card slots, lol. It's not more storage.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Hahaha it really is. It makes me giggle. They all complain but they will still buy. Sony made a a7s2 a while ago and haven’t replaced it cause it sells canon knows they need to go after that market as well as the high pixel market. People on here bitch about to low of pixels and too many pixels. They complain about one card slot and they complain about cost, it’s like they don’t even go out and play with their toys that are so capable of doing more than they know what to do with but they feel the need to sound like democrats and republicans. If your camera only has one card slot, but a bigger memory card, if files are to big buy a better computer or more storage. Hey now I sound like everyone on this forum.
That's ridiculous. There have been many very positive comments here. In this day and age of remarkable cameras offered by multiple brands, the choices and quality levels at various price points make it a wonderful time to be involved in the craft.

Still, in agreement....
new technology never makes your current gear vanish magically. GAS is the single driver of complaints and whines. You have to wonder if these folks ever shoot.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I don't think you understand the benefit of having 2 card slots, lol. It's not more storage.
Elaborate please. Why does a ARRI have one slot, or a red, or a C200 or so many other cameras have only one? Could it be that there isn’t always a need for two? Or that media and writing data become more reliable, or that card have come down in price and contain more storage? One card slot is not going to slow you down or hinder you. Is having two slots nice? Sure but it is not going to hinder you. Was only one role of film sufficient for alllllll those film cameras?

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Elaborate please. Why does a ARRI have one slot, or a red, or a C200 or so many other cameras have only one? Could it be that there isn’t always a need for two? Or that media and writing data become more reliable, or that card have come down in price and contain more storage? One card slot is not going to slow you down or hinder you. Is having two slots nice? Sure but it is not going to hinder you. Was only one role of film sufficient for alllllll those film cameras?
I see both sides of the discussion but after using nothing but a 2 slot body for 7 years, it is a bit hard to go to one. There are a multitude of methods and reasons for two slots and shooting styles/methods and genres drive these reasons. It is unreasonable to tell another they should want or have this or that, especially when the technology is present. If we all shot alike and had the same needs Canon would have gone not much further than the 300D. Arguing about slots? Please....

Upvote 0
Many of us have been waiting a long time for Canon to make a serius attempt at a world class miirrorless body. For me, this is they’re last shot at it. If the new R body is just another stop gap designed by the marketing managers than I’m done waiting. The 1DX Mark III is what a Canon body looks like when they try their best. The EOS R is what they look like when they don’t. This new body had better be a lot closer to a 1DX than an R. Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I read a lot of people bemoaning the higher MP version of an R, but as a 5DIV shooter (landscape) I'm not quite sure what else you would do as a mirroless replacement for that. The R already has the resolution of the 5DIV, and for landscape shooting I suspect the biggest gripe is one card slot (which I didn't have till I got the IV anyway). For me personally higher MP and equal or better dynamic range is what I would be looking for in a landscape body.

I realize perspectives may be different if you're shooting other subjects, but there are a lot of nature/landscape shooters out there, and many of them would opt for more resolution if the performance of the resulting smaller pixels can be up to the level we see in the 5DIV. Judging by the M6 Mark II which I also have and love, I think that possibility is real.

I guess we will know soon.
Yea, I'm keen for the high resolution model, but likely too broke to buy it (until I justify it to myself). My 5D IV is delivering what it needs to, but I sure would love some extra cropping power.

How do you like your M6II? I've been toying with the idea of creating an ultra light camera setup for landscape photography on longer backpacking trips, and the M6II is close to the top of my list. No mater how I tinker with my 5D IV setup, I'm struggling to reduce weight down to a place where I'm really satisfied with both lens range I can carry vs weight. M6II is really appealing because it offloads a lot of stuff I don't really use (including the viewfinder), but I'm a bit hesitant because I'm not sure of the lens quality... How do you like the M6II?

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
If the high MPX R has the following
  • Weather sealing equal / better than the 5dIV
  • 5mpx, high refresh rate EVF
  • 10-12 FPS w/50 shot RAW buffer
  • Good AF tracking
Then I don‘t care about a 5dIV direct replacement

I sold my 5dIV last year at a good price and can go a different direction. I still have my 1dx II and can hold that for wildlife. The only thing holding me to Canon is I love the lenses. With the M6II, Canon finally has sensor tech that will improve image quality but can’t seem to release a competitive body. I would be happy sticking with the 1dx II/III, but I want a robust all-rounder with decent specs And the new sensor tech. I don’t want to carry 3 cameras just because they want to differentiate the market

Upvote 0
Really disappointed and hope this isn’t true

If this news is true then canon doesn’t have their mirrorless tech ready yet and is hence stalling. They have high end glass and their is plenty of demand for high end bodies.
It seems that all they can do is get the high megapixel model out. I worry that speed and data throughput with mirrorless has been an issue if this rumor is true.

the Rii or high speed R with decent resolution is important

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
What has been ignored for all this commentary on specs is the shutter.

I am still waiting for a shutter from Canon on its 5 series cameras and its R series mirrorless to have a flash sync of 1/250 sec and not sound like hedge trimmers when going off.

The current 1/200 sync speed is only just acceptable with 1/160 really the top safe sync sped in studio with radio triggers.
The shutter sound, while not a huge issue, is cheap and noisy compared to the competition. Making it sound like the Fuji X-H1 or the Panasonic S-1 would go a long way to making the body feel more of a quality item.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

I take it you have never photographed a wedding or had a card failure?

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I’m not rush for new R body, just use the R until a more capable body comes out then I will change.
Love my R. No rush for another body in my case. More interested in more glass at this point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
While I'm waiting for my 1DX Mark III preorder to be processed, the next camera I would like is a EOS-1FX Mark III, for film. I would love to have the updated AF (head/eye), increased coverage focus points, metering, etc. into a fast 35mm film camera.
Is there a market for such a thing?
With less than 2 seconds of the frame buffer?

• Haha
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
If the high MPX R has the following
  • Weather sealing equal / better than the 5dIV
  • 5mpx, high refresh rate EVF
  • 10-12 FPS w/50 shot RAW buffer
  • Good AF tracking
Then I don‘t care about a 5dIV direct replacement

I sold my 5dIV last year at a good price and can go a different direction. I still have my 1dx II and can hold that for wildlife. The only thing holding me to Canon is I love the lenses. With the M6II, Canon finally has sensor tech that will improve image quality but can’t seem to release a competitive body. I would be happy sticking with the 1dx II/III, but I want a robust all-rounder with decent specs And the new sensor tech. I don’t want to carry 3 cameras just because they want to differentiate the market
I see you mention M6II. Why not try 90D then for wildlife. OK not a pro super 7D like body but neither M6II is.
That way you could have M6II's sensor and DSLR's ergonomics for wildlife (enjoying at the same time the benefits of OVF which for wildlife is a plus) ?

Upvote 0