Canon will release four new full-frame cameras in 2020 [CR2]

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Oh my ... 4 Canon cameras wedding photogs have no need for and no 5DV equivalent. If Canon thinks, that we want to move to the high megapixel nonsense, then they are pretty much wrong. And btw - high speed sports body with low megapixels has absolutly no sense. There is already 1DX III with low-enough resolution, and lower than 20mpx will surely not make 7D II followers happy.

What I also wonder is - if there is any truth to the EOS Rm, which would cost cca 800 USD, is there really still a future for the EOS-M cameras, apart from its relatively smaller bodies and lens?
I do hope one of these is THE 5DV.

You are quite correct regarding the fact there is already 1DXIII with low-enough resolution but it costs a lot so maybe Canon would make a cheaper body - Which I do not think as a must assuming we can always downscale from a 30mpixel camera and improve low light performance.

Upvote 0
I take it you have never photographed a wedding or had a card failure?
Since you all are missing the point I’ll reiterate. Tech is better than ever and canon knows this. You all want light weight, this pixel amount or that amount of pixels or 4K or no k or two slots or the other long list of complaints. Canon and other company’s are not dumb. They know more than most of us. They try to deliver a product that meets most of the needs. If you get only one slot it’s because they know something you don’t. Writing data and cards are so good now that company’s are taking that into consideration to give all of you who complain about everything all that you can want and dream of in a small little package. And too answer your questions I have never had a card failure. I used to do weddings but I would rather get kicked in junk than photograph a wedding.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Gonna say it again: The ASP-c Rebels are dead. M an FF will be it.
You mIght well believe that looking from your perspective of being a keen enthusiast with a very nice collection of new L glass, the bean counters at Canon might well disagree with you though. The numbers they look at tell a very different story as for many years the Rebel line has been the cash cow that keeps giving, don’t forget the USA market is accounting for a smaller and smaller percentage of world wide sales and emerging markets like China and India are not so quick to dismiss DSLR’s and those markets are particularly price sensitive. Canon can make DSLR Rebels surprisingly cheaply and still make money.

Rebels cost very little to develop and they have a remarkable world wide reputation/brand recognition.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Hoping for good news! I am waiting to go into the market to get the High MP EOS R. It would be perfect to "marry" my 1dxmkII! Really don´t care too much about a replacement of the EOS R (EOS RII) and I don´t think it would happen soon...But well.....market is changing and so is Canon.

I think is very clear that we will have the High resolution camera in the February and for me couldn´t be more perfect! From my point of view, it is also very unlikely that we have an "entry, entry" below the EOS RP....Unless Canon want to kill the M6 II sales....It just doesn´t make sense at all! Specially because that would also kill RP sales! I dont believe that! My prediction is that Canon will launch in Feb the EOS Rs and in May they will launch a low MP camera for video purposes. Its still a hybrid but directed to video, creators and Vloggers. Just like the 7S line. And after this, maybe only in 2021 (to give time to 1dx mkIII to sell) they will launch the EOS Rx. Only after that they will put in the market the upgrade of the first EOS R, maybe 2022 or end of 2021. It just doesn´t make too much sense to get an upgrade of that camera. They had made the firmware update not long ago and the camera now is much better. They need to give time to that camera.

So for me it´s this:

- EOS Rs (high MP) February
- EOS Rv (or something like that for video and low light performance) May
- EOS Rx (1dx mirrorless for first half of 2021)
- EOS R II (maybe end of 2021)

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Canon and other company’s are not dumb. They know more than most of us. They try to deliver a product that meets most of the needs. If you get only one slot it’s because they know something you don’t.

I disagree. They don't know my needs because they've never asked. But they do know that the can make compromises on their products and still sell them, for now, because of the cost of changing systems.

If the industry had adopted a standard electrofocus mount in the 1980s then competition in the field of bodies would be very different because they'd actually have to address user requirements or suffer defection.

Upvote 0
Really disappointed and hope this isn’t true

If this news is true then canon doesn’t have their mirrorless tech ready yet and is hence stalling. They have high end glass and their is plenty of demand for high end bodies.
It seems that all they can do is get the high megapixel model out. I worry that speed and data throughput with mirrorless has been an issue if this rumor is true.

the Rii or high speed R with decent resolution is important
I don't think it's a throughput issue - the M6ii is already doing 14 fps on a 32MP sensor, and the 1Dxiii has an unlimited buffer at 16 fps recording both RAW and JPG at the same time, and can crank up to 20 fps in live view. Both cases should be a heck of a lot of throughput.

I think if anything, they're slow to release a mirrorless 1Dx style camera because they want the 1Dxiii to get its time in the spotlight, and there are no big whites in the R ecosystem yet. I think if they released their ultra high-speed body on RF the first complaint may be people want 400mm 500mm and 600mm RF lenses to go with it, and I bet those will take some time to develop and release. I'm not saying it's the right choice, but I can understand why Canon would delay if they wanted to preserve the success of other bodies. When Canon releases a true flagship mirrorless, they'll want all the fanfare they can get, so leaving gaps in the RF lens lineup may be the issue they're really concerned about.

Upvote 0
I think canon will release an apsc R, the 7d successor, the 5dV and the equivalent ml late this year, the high mpx ml and this low light ml camera.
The question is, which of them will have ibis? If ibis is coming, the combination of is and ibis will be marvelous and force all ibis camera buyers to buy canon again, because ibis + is is better than only ibis or is, because will always want more.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You mIght well believe that looking from your perspective of being a keen enthusiast with a very nice collection of new L glass, the bean counters at Canon might well disagree with you though. The numbers they look at tell a very different story as for many years the Rebel line has been the cash cow that keeps giving, don’t forget the USA market is accounting for a smaller and smaller percentage of world wide sales and emerging markets like China and India are not so quick to dismiss DSLR’s and those markets are particularly price sensitive. Canon can make DSLR Rebels surprisingly cheaply and still make money.

Rebels cost very little to develop and they have a remarkable world wide reputation/brand recognition.
I just assume the M line will take over. I’m not sure, but I think they are in the Rebel price range. With a possible new ultra low dollar FF on the horizon, I just figured the Rebels were doomed.

Upvote 0
With less than 2 seconds of the frame buffer?
Specifically, I am interested in having the latest advancements in Autofocus and metering, like face/head/eye tracking, better predictive AF, and advanced metering, brought into a film camera.
There's no technical reason why 35mm film canisters can't grow in size to accommodate more than 36 frames, to make shooting at higher frame rates more practical.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I see you mention M6II. Why not try 90D then for wildlife. OK not a pro super 7D like body but neither M6II is.
That way you could have M6II's sensor and DSLR's ergonomics for wildlife (enjoying at the same time the benefits of OVF which for wildlife is a plus) ?

I took a 90d to YNP/GTNP last year. I found that the AF would start to “lag“ and was inconsistent on medium bursts. Lack of real weather sealing is also an issue. I like the M6II over the 90d just wish they had done a weather sealed m5 II body. I hate the external EVFon M6II.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I just assume the M line will take over. I’m not sure, but I think they are in the Rebel price range. With a possible new ultra low dollar FF on the horizon, I just figured the Rebels were doomed.
We are all doomed -- eventually. But the Rebels and APS-C generally have a lot of life left in them. Many consumers prefer the "real camera" look and feel of DSLRs and the flexibility of the EF-S and EF lens system cannot be discounted. Unfortunately, Canon sacrificed that flexibility with the R and M systems. Think about the tried and true 70-300 mm kit lenses. Probably one of the most popular focal lengths ever made. There is simply nothing like it that will be available in a lens that fits both the R and M.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I think people need to quit thinking in terms of DSLR equivalents, as in "I want a mirrorless 5D." I suspect Canon does not feel bound by the product segmentation that they developed for DSLRs, but is instead planning to slice and dice the mirrorless market in its own unique ways.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
No 5DV or equivalent?
If a EOS R MK II comes out and it has more features as well as a new name as rumored, it may end up being the replacement for the 5D MK IV. I don't think Canon has internally committed to a 5D MK IV release, but I am sure they are developing one in the event they do decide to release it. I believe it all revolves around sales of mirrorless bodies and lenses. There is more profit in the RF lenses (Canon states that in their financial reports) so they will be going with the profit. Certainly, expect a few EOS camera bodies, but when??

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
I do not know why people dismiss the M series, its perfect run in tandem with full frame, the samyang fish eye, 11 - 22 complement any carry about kit and is the easiest way to practice non lens changing shooting without looking like an Adorama whore
1. As a carry about and travel camera
2. As a second body wide angle with the 11 - 22
3. As a tele enhancing crop body

Upvote 0
Every photographer I know is perched on the fence ready to jump ship to Sony (or Fuji) if Canon doesn't drop an A7RIV equivalent in an R series mirrorless format before spring wedding season kicks off. GEEZ. Whats the dealio Canon? Nobody wants a new DSLR format 5D MKV. Though it would be WONDERFUL if one of the new R bodies was a Sony a7III equivalent (with 2 card slots) and priced accordingly.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I took a 90d to YNP/GTNP last year. I found that the AF would start to “lag“ and was inconsistent on medium bursts. Lack of real weather sealing is also an issue. I like the M6II over the 90d just wish they had done a weather sealed m5 II body. I hate the external EVFon M6II.
Since I have a 7DII (but use mostly 5DsR) for birding but I am thinking about getting 90D sometime in the future can you please clarify a little more? Like: Which kind of lenses did you use? (I use 100-400 but mostly 400DOII and 500II) Was the AF inconsistent in high fps AI servo cases mostly?

Any info would be welcome...

Upvote 0