Canon will release four new full-frame cameras in 2020 [CR2]

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
EOS R sensor is very close to EOS 5DmKiv IQ which is a very capable camera. I guess pros could wait using this camera a little longer. It is certain that Canon will respond with a two slot mirrorless camera.

To calm down and laugh a little here is a video for Nikon Z cameras:

:D

EDIT: Even statistically out of the 4 new FF cameras some (and not only 1DxIII) will be dual-slot ones :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

photographer

CR Pro
Jan 17, 2020
If anyome is in my situation and prefer to shoot as semi-pro mainly landscape, event and picture while I go travel/tourist trips, what solution you would suggest to go?

TIA.
Puffo

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Four full frame cameras sounds impressive, but is it?

1) 1Dx III
2) EOS Rp (High megapixel
3) EOS R bargain
4) 5DV

That doesn't leave room for another higher end R model. So maybe no 5DV this year. Maybe the number should actually be five. Maybe there is no bargain R on the horizon. Or maybe Canon is not ready to offer another model slotted above the R. Since it's all speculation right now, go ahead and take your pick and then start drafting your outraged posts for when you don't get your way.

Upvote 0
Elaborate please. Why does a ARRI have one slot, or a red, or a C200 or so many other cameras have only one? Could it be that there isn’t always a need for two? Or that media and writing data become more reliable, or that card have come down in price and contain more storage? One card slot is not going to slow you down or hinder you. Is having two slots nice? Sure but it is not going to hinder you. Was only one role of film sufficient for alllllll those film cameras?

You know these Canon cameras take still photos too, right?

Let me give you two examples:

1) I'm shooting a sports event and I want raw images for post processing, but also want JPEGs for immediate posting on social media; AND
2) I'm shooting portraits at an event, and we want to print quick JPEGs for immediate use, by transferring from a memory card, and also save raw files for better post processing and providing online.

I have had both those happen in the last two months and #2 used my R, but ran into problems when my assistant accidentally deleted the photos of the card that were supposed to have been kept.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I have absolutely no problem with people wanting them, I do have a big problem with people professing that anybody that doesn't use them can't be a professional. It's just a bullshit marketing meme pushed by 'influencers' that gullible fools have latched onto.
Yeah I get that, you and others here in the single slot camp have made that clear. What isn't clear is the vitriol being spewed when someone professes their 2 slot want/need/desire/reasoning. The replies in dissent have just been so demeaning and frankly, pathetic. It's taking the low road for certain.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I've completely lost interest in the two-card debate, but I really wish people would quit polluting these threads with the same talking points over and over again. No one is going to win the argument or convince anyone that they are right.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Think outside the box. Think .... yet another lens line for a cheaper camera. The RF-s line, analogous to the EF-s line. And a crop sensor more or less "RP" type of camera. I would not put that past Canon one bit. Why bring out a bargain basement body when almost all you have are $2k+ lenses? Makes no sense whatsoever.
I will admit, wondering if it could be a crop body is certainly thinking outside the box for a full frame thread. This could segue into the possible mirrorless 7Dll replacement wailing and caterwauling thread so many of us are missing from this past Fall.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The only hole I have for a light travel kit is the telephoto zoom. More than likely I will opt for an EF or EFS 55-200 or 250. I haven't evaluated either yet from a quality standpoint but I think they are supposed to be better than the 18-150 (hard to find direct comparisons). Outside of that it will be the 11-22, the Sigma 30, and whatever I decide on the telephoto zoom. That will be a tidy kit for work travel, or extended backpacking.

Why not the tamron 18-200? They do make it natively for the EF-M mount.

Upvote 0
EOS R sensor is very close to EOS 5DmKiv IQ which is a very capable camera. I guess pros could wait using this camera a little longer. It is certain that Canon will respond with a two slot mirrorless camera.

To calm down and laugh a little here is a video for Nikon Z cameras:

:D

EDIT: Even statistically out of the 4 new FF cameras some (and not only 1DxIII) will be dual-slot ones :)

The video is actually quite funny.

Wish Northrup and Polin could stage some stuff like this !!!

Upvote 0
My landscape trips sometimes take a lot of time and long driving, sometimes take a big deal of effort to organise, and fuel alone may cost more than an SD card. On the location there may be unique conditions that I'd never see again.

I simply can't afford to save on my media storage, use cheap cards or not use the second slot.
I totally agree. I'm not professional race car driver but I've never driven without having car insurance. It only takes one time.

• Haha
Upvote 0
There will be no EOS R mark II ...
I think Canon will announce a sports mirrorless and a high-resolution mirrorless camera.

I doubt it will be a sports camera.

why on earth would canon release a sports camera in late 2020 only to turn around and announce a 1 series sports camera in 2021.

Upvote 0
1) I'm shooting a sports event and I want raw images for post processing, but also want JPEGs for immediate posting on social media; AND

this isn't handled at all by a second card slot but handled by background wifi image transfer directly to your smartphone as you shoot.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

And that's the problem - EOS R basically uses a 5DIV sensor, which we've already got with the 5DIV itself, naturally. We (as in our studio) don't need/want another 5DIV, what we need after thoser 4 years is a completly new upgraded camera, moving our used 5DIV to the backup.

It seems no such upgrade is coming in 2020, while 5DV possibility is mentioned in the article. That's interesting, because we've already decided 5DIV was probably our last pro DSLR ever. So Canon releasing a 5DV has no buy in our book. I have a gut feeling our aproach is going to be followed by many others.

Well, for the time being, if there is a need, we could reverse the situation by buying some cheaper R variant (R, Rp, Rm) to be the secondary body, while waiting for the 5DV in an R form. There is also one possibility - if the high mpx body has still better sensor characteristics than 5DIV, we might consider it as well.

Upvote 0