Canon will release four new full-frame cameras in 2020 [CR2]

Why bring out a bargain basement body when almost all you have are $2k+ lenses? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Because they are trying to get some of those 100 million EF users to migrate over. Even on a 24MP sensor, some of them using EF-S lenses would still have more megapixels than their nominal camera - and one could argue that 10MP off a full frame sensor is probably better than what the 18MP asp-c sensors could do anyways.

Also Canon can think ahead to end of this year, and they know what their lenses will be for the next 3-4 years already.

there's only 3-5 really cheap lenses needed;

24-105 3.5-5.6
16-35 3.5-5.6
70-300 4-6.3
50mm F1.8

if canon wants to the next wave would include the trinity of usual primes

24mm F2, 28mm F2.8, 35mm F2.0

after that.. nothing is really necessary.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
And that's the problem - EOS R basically uses a 5DIV sensor, which we've already got with the 5DIV itself, naturally. We (as in our studio) don't need/want another 5DIV

Canon's already stated many times that they don't' see the EOS R at the 5D level of camera body.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Also Canon can think ahead to end of this year, and they know what their lenses will be for the next 3-4 years already.
there's only 3-5 really cheap lenses needed;

24-105 3.5-5.6
16-35 3.5-5.6
70-300 4-6.3
50mm F1.8

if canon wants to the next wave would include the trinity of usual primes
24mm F2, 28mm F2.8, 35mm F2.0
after that.. nothing is really necessary.

I think a cheap and low weight 24-70 f/4 or f/3.5-5.6 will be more appealing than its 24-105 sibling.

Anyway, give consumers cheap and light-weight systems (both cameras and lenses), and Canon is ready to dominate the FF MILC market.

Upvote 0
I think a cheap and low weight 24-70 f/4 or f/3.5-5.6 will be more appealing than its 24-105 sibling.

Anyway, give consumers cheap and light-weight systems (both cameras and lenses), and Canon is ready to dominate the FF MILC market.

If the cheap one is a reality, I will have a hard time deciding between the M6 II and the eventual Rm. Yesterday I have visited the top CZ photo equipment shop to buy Canon 100 f2.8 Is macro, and was surprised that from Canon MILC, they had only M50 on stock. Well, M can be still smaller than any RF camera, I just wonder how small Rm is going to be. And if the price is almost identical, why to go for an APS-C? I know, the size still can be a deciding factor - but almost alone factor, if the price is on par, plus the advantage of compatible RF mout in the case of Rm.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Yesterday I have visited the top CZ photo equipment shop to buy Canon 100 f2.8 Is macro...
Great lens, I have it since it came out and I love it, not only for macro but also for tack sharp portraits (well, for 40+ ladies I take my more dreamy-creamy 85mm f=1.2 if I want to make them really happy ;) ). You don't always need a 4k+ $ Zeiss prime to get really nice images...

Upvote 0
I know some people here think we're bemoaning the fact that Canon isn't doing exactly what the various parties here want in a camera. But I don't think we're being unreasonable when we ask for a pro-series body that isn't video-focused, since most here are photographers, and for a 7Dii update (whether R series or not). The 1Dx iii is a lovely camera with some interesting video features, but doesn't appear to be much more than a 'side-grade' in photography terms, as opposed to a true upgrade. The 90d is not even in the same league as the 7Dii and is a downgrade in other areas. The 5DV doesn't exist, and apparently is not going to anytime soon. I don't get why Canon wouldn't satisfy bird/sport photographers, with an R series body (or otherwise) and show us what the technology is capable of. Do a 5Dr at the same time for pro-shooters. If they put out a 500 or 600 with a 7Dr I'd buy it tomorrow.

Maybe the A7S equivalent is a sort-of answer to some of that?
Exactly! I just want a pro mirrorless body.. is that too much to ask???
Also I want a Li-Ion Speedlite btw.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have been out birding a lot in the good weather this last weekend and seen hordes of photographers. They were mainly with 7Ds and a few FF with the 100-400mm I and II, some big whites and 1Ds and tripods, probably 70% of the total, and then about 20% Nikons with the 200-500mm, and some Sigma 150-600mm across both makes, with a smattering of bridge camera. The only mirrorless was a Z7. What is it telling us? Well, despite the documented popularity of Sony amongst keen birders with Art Morris cheering on, they haven’t trickled down to the average person. And mirrorless is not popular in this pursuit at the mass level. Nikon has definitely increased significantly in popularity in my observations since the D500 and new Nikkor telephoto lenses. I think the 90D with 100-400mm II will sustain Canon at the lower end of the market in the meanwhile as it is good for perched birds. But it is not a 7DII successor as its focus for birds in flight is just OK and is not up to what is possible in terms of speed and tracking.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Oh I am a pretty active camera club member, it's how I get to play with all the latest gear (only enthusiasts can justify most of it), I have recovered many corrupted cards from members and I have never failed to recover 'lost' images from corrupted, formatted, etc etc cards.

I use PhotoRec, it is free and as powerful as it gets, it takes a few minutes, an hour at most. I have never had an in use/camera card that has been corrupted to the point that recovery is impossible, I have seen cards so badly damaged from external causes that internal connections are damaged but that really is beyond almost any 'normal' use.

I also use photorec, together with ddrescue for things like this. I had my first real failure last month, I could dump the card just fine, but photorec couldn't discover anything and closer inspection showed that the 8GB image was just the same 1MB repeated 8 thousand times.
So sometimes the controller inside the card decides to call it quits. It also confirmed my bias against non-sandisk cards :)

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
What a messy thread :LOL:

So we are basically sure that we'll get:

1DX III
High resolution RF camera
Highly affordable RF camera (< 1000$)

And we may get one camera that we can apparently just speculate about. Of these, a lower MP body to rival the A7S makes the least amount of sense to me if it has to be low end enough to not interfere with the 1DX III.

The high resolution R has got a lot of talk already. But I'm really curious about the lower cost one. I'm assuming this will still be FF.

Will it share a sensor with another camera to better leverage economies of scale? If so, which camera would that be? Can't be the high resolution R one. I also can't see them putting the 1DX III sensor in anything else, even though it is low res enough to suite a lower end body. What does that leave? Reuse the 5D IV sensor or 6D II sensor AGAIN? Is that actually cheaper than moving everything to the same technology generation? The 80D sensor has tickled all the way down to almost every crop camera Canon made.

And what else will be cut? Obviously, no EVF. Makes some sense, the current external one is a bit aged and if they bring out a newer version it would benefit this camera and the M6 II.

Apart from that, what does the RP have that one doesn't strictly need?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
For people worrying about a missing 5DMkV see

So out of the 4 new FF cameras two will be mirrorless the third is 1DxIII so there is one more non mirrorless DSLR

It has to be 5DMkV. Personally I will upgrade from my 5DMkIV.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Why not the tamron 18-200? They do make it natively for the EF-M mount.

It's a possibility as well, but with the super-zooms my understanding is they give something up to achieve it. I can't remember exactly what I read about the 18-200 but there was something that fell kind of short. I may look at it myself though you can't always believe everything you read :)

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Regarding the rumoured lower MP speed/sports body. I’d really like to see a lower megapixel CROP sensor R camera with really good high iso performance and fast burst rate.

I was SO looking forward to the 90D but I‘m actually put off by the higher megapixels! Wildlife subjects, especially birds, are always moving and I notice motion blur more with the 80D even, compared to older bodies. Also more often than not my iso wants to go to like 1600+ in order to get shutter speeds up.

In my opinion, a roughly 18 megapixel crop sensor, with lightning fast frames per second and really good high iso performance would make an awesome sports/wildlife camera.

Upvote 0
So we are basically sure that we'll get:

1DX III
High resolution RF camera
Highly affordable RF camera (< 1000$)

And we may get one camera that we can apparently just speculate about. Of these, a lower MP body to rival the A7S makes the least amount of sense to me if it has to be low end enough to not interfere with the 1DX III.
Is it that clear? :unsure:

From what I read in the original news story I doesn't actually claim anything other than the existance if the 1DX (as its been released). No disrepect to the site owner as I know sourcing this info must be difficult however this is CR2 info and we are only a matter of weeks away from such a significant Canon mirrorless camera launch, reportedly containing lots of new tech and the rumour sites know obsolutly nothing about it.

Upvote 0
I was SO looking forward to the 90D but I‘m actually put off by the higher megapixels! Wildlife subjects, especially birds, are always moving and I notice motion blur more with the 80D even, compared to older bodies.

Apart from larger file sizes and lower fps, (which isn't that low in 90D) there's no technical reason to be put off by higher megapixels. The more the better quite literally.
You have the same motion blur regardless of the sensor size, but higher resolution allows to see the blur clearer. But if you downsample to the lower resolution, the blur should be reduced, so you actually have more freedom to fight the blur.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Apart from larger file sizes and lower fps, (which isn't that low in 90D) there's no technical reason to be put off by higher megapixels. The more the better quite literally.
You have the same motion blur regardless of the sensor size, but higher resolution allows to see the blur clearer. But if you downsample to the lower resolution, the blur should be reduced, so you actually have more freedom to fight the blur.
Never thought of downsampling to reduce blur to be honest. Either way, I’d still rather have a lower MP count if it meant better high iso performance.

Upvote 0

photographer

CR Pro
Jan 17, 2020
If the cheap one is a reality, I will have a hard time deciding between the M6 II and the eventual Rm. Yesterday I have visited the top CZ photo equipment shop to buy Canon 100 f2.8 Is macro, and was surprised that from Canon MILC, they had only M50 on stock. Well, M can be still smaller than any RF camera, I just wonder how small Rm is going to be. And if the price is almost identical, why to go for an APS-C? I know, the size still can be a deciding factor - but almost alone factor, if the price is on par, plus the advantage of compatible RF mout in the case of Rm.

The size of the cameras will be almost the same, but the size and weight of the lenses will make a big difference.

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
Hi all, I know we are here under speculation BUT let's see if my thinking is correct. I currently have couple of EF canon lenses that I have been using in the past years along my old EOS 5D Mark II. Now that camera is broken and I am looking for a good substitute!

2 options but do not know which one will be real and release sooner:

1. to buy a dsrl 5D Mark IV update (ie. 5D mark V? or whatever will be named.

or

1b. to buy a mirrorless eos RS (or whenever is called).

The RF lenses looks quite superior to the previous EF series and since I have just couple of EF left I could sell them and move only to RF lenses.... Or stay on the safe side, do not go for RF, keep the EF, buy a 5D Mark IV now and.... do not care about near coming/rumors?

I can wait 6 months. If anyome is in my situation and prefer to shoot as semi-pro mainly landscape, event and picture while I go travel/tourist trips, what solution you would suggest to go?

TIA.
Puffo
Rent on the days you need it - unless its every day? Or just buy second hand till canon flood us with choices, then sell your 2nd hand body.

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
Will this supposed EOS Rm be full-frame? A $699 or $799 MSRP for a full-frame camera would be quite impressive, even if Canon recycle the 6D II sensor used in the RP. I would assume such a model would have to forego any EVF and probably replace the articulating screen with a smaller tilt screen. Visions of a slightly enlarged EOS M6 come to mind.
You will always need an evf for mirrorless.

Upvote 0