Canon will release four new full-frame cameras in 2020 [CR2]

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
Hi all, I know we are here under speculation BUT let's see if my thinking is correct. I currently have couple of EF canon lenses that I have been using in the past years along my old EOS 5D Mark II. Now that camera is broken and I am looking for a good substitute!

2 options but do not know which one will be real and release sooner:

1. to buy a dsrl 5D Mark IV update (ie. 5D mark V? or whatever will be named.

or

1b. to buy a mirrorless eos RS (or whenever is called).

The RF lenses looks quite superior to the previous EF series and since I have just couple of EF left I could sell them and move only to RF lenses.... Or stay on the safe side, do not go for RF, keep the EF, buy a 5D Mark IV now and.... do not care about near coming/rumors?

I can wait 6 months. If anyome is in my situation and prefer to shoot as semi-pro mainly landscape, event and picture while I go travel/tourist trips, what solution you would suggest to go?

TIA.
Puffo
I am in a bit of same situation. I have a well functioning but also well used 6D, two top-of-line EF (L) Zooms and a handfull of good EF primes. My photography is a bit of everything - so I am glad for the size of the 6D. However - should i by a new camera now, I would go for the 5D mkIV. It will serve me for the next 5-7+ years, and by that time, the landscape for RF lenses and bodies would be clear and mature. I know that the reselling price for my old EF gear at that time will be lower - but I am not a "buy and sell" person. I buy my gear, an use it as long as i last.
For travel however - I see and idea for the future of R and RF - a bigger high-end pro body with large zooms and a smaller RP size body that can be used with an RF 24-105 f/4 and a 35mm for travel or street photography.

But for now, and for the next 10 years i think - I stay with EF cameras and lenses

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oh I am a pretty active camera club member, it's how I get to play with all the latest gear (only enthusiasts can justify most of it), I have recovered many corrupted cards from members and I have never failed to recover 'lost' images from corrupted, formatted, etc etc cards.

I use PhotoRec, it is free and as powerful as it gets, it takes a few minutes, an hour at most. I have never had an in use/camera card that has been corrupted to the point that recovery is impossible, I have seen cards so badly damaged from external causes that internal connections are damaged but that really is beyond almost any 'normal' use.

I had my very first instance of an unrecoverable card just earlier this week. I was working in my office and I heard a crunching noise behind me. When I turned to look I saw my six month old Brittany puppy had gotten a hold of an SD card I had lying on the coffee table. It was no longer a flat SD card, but rather looked more like a small black plastic flower in bloom.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
... yet they refuse to provide a 5D RF alternative even for 2020?

I'm impressed by your ability to see in the future with certainty. can you PM me? i have a TON of questions to ask you ;)

In all seriousness. No one knows at this point in time, anything this far out you should know is highly variable.

Everything takes time and everything has a priority, the RF mount is less than 18 months old.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have been out birding a lot in the good weather this last weekend and seen hordes of photographers. They were mainly with 7Ds and a few FF with the 100-400mm I and II, some big whites and 1Ds and tripods, probably 70% of the total, and then about 20% Nikons with the 200-500mm, and some Sigma 150-600mm across both makes, with a smattering of bridge camera. The only mirrorless was a Z7. What is it telling us? Well, despite the documented popularity of Sony amongst keen birders with Art Morris cheering on, they haven’t trickled down to the average person. And mirrorless is not popular in this pursuit at the mass level. Nikon has definitely increased significantly in popularity in my observations since the D500 and new Nikkor telephoto lenses. I think the 90D with 100-400mm II will sustain Canon at the lower end of the market in the meanwhile as it is good for perched birds. But it is not a 7DII successor as its focus for birds in flight is just OK and is not up to what is possible in terms of speed and tracking.

One caveat, Sony only recently started putting out really long lenses, the 600 just came out late last year for instance. They weren't going after that demo. I've noticed what you have as far as numbers. I'm curious how things look in a year's time.

Upvote 0
I'm impressed by your ability to see in the future with certainty. can you PM me? i have a TON of questions to ask you ;)

In all seriousness. No one knows at this point in time, anything this far out you should know is highly variable.

Everything takes time and everything has a priority, the RF mount is less than 18 months old.

Feel free to PM me. I've got good insight into the photo industry, based upon the Canon rumours sites, mixed with the @HarryFilm insights. One Canon manager told me, that their marketing/sales team is using rumour sites too, to plan future releases, so beware what you post here :)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
If Canon can bring an Rm well under the price of the Rp I suspect it would be a great success. On forums like this we all debate dynamic range and resolution, needing a joystick, why we don't like this button here etc etc but that simply isn't the way most people are. Price is the single biggest factor for something like 95% of camera sales I am sure. Canon has always fought hard on this, making sure to have attractive bundles ready to go in department stores before christmas etc.

If they can keep pushing down the cost of full frame cameras I am all for it as it will build up the base of the Rf mount.

I start to get the feeling they are really going all in now on full frame and assuming that digital full frame will come to dominate in the way full frame film did. I have an M5 and love it but maybe the Ef-m mount is going to be only for very very small cameras. After all the Rp is already compact. Add on the 35mm 1.8 and you have a nice little system. If they can do the same again 100 or 200 dollars cheaper it should sell like hot cakes.

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
I am in a bit of same situation. I have a well functioning but also well used 6D, two top-of-line EF (L) Zooms and a handfull of good EF primes. My photography is a bit of everything - so I am glad for the size of the 6D. However - should i by a new camera now, I would go for the 5D mkIV. It will serve me for the next 5-7+ years, and by that time, the landscape for RF lenses and bodies would be clear and mature. I know that the reselling price for my old EF gear at that time will be lower - but I am not a "buy and sell" person. I buy my gear, an use it as long as i last.
For travel however - I see and idea for the future of R and RF - a bigger high-end pro body with large zooms and a smaller RP size body that can be used with an RF 24-105 f/4 and a 35mm for travel or street photography.

But for now, and for the next 10 years i think - I stay with EF cameras and lenses
Thanks Martin. Only wondering if indeed RF lenses are now indeed sharper and after AF than EF. If that very true, than RF and R camera body looks as the natural choice.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
... yet they refuse to provide a 5D RF alternative even for 2020?
Feel free to PM me. I've got good insight into the photo industry, based upon the Canon rumours sites, mixed with the @HarryFilm insights. One Canon manager told me, that their marketing/sales team is using rumour sites too, to plan future releases, so beware what you post here :)
By far the most entertaining post on the Internet today, and that's with all the shenanigans in DC as well!

Upvote 0

You just sent chills down my spine with the mention of our good friend Harry.

Btw, where has Harry gone these days?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
One caveat, Sony only recently started putting out really long lenses, the 600 just came out late last year for instance. They weren't going after that demo. I've noticed what you have as far as numbers. I'm curious how things look in a year's time.
The Sony 100-400mm has been out for some time, but hasn't caught on over here. The Sony 200-600mm could be the game changer. It really is a stellar lens but it needs the A9 for BIF. However, I can see enthusiasts with deep pockets buying in to it with the A7RIV. The Canon shooters I see are not new buyers but tend to be mature individuals, many seniors, who have been upgrading their Canon gear over the years.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
What has been ignored for all this commentary on specs is the shutter.

I am still waiting for a shutter from Canon on its 5 series cameras and its R series mirrorless to have a flash sync of 1/250 sec and not sound like hedge trimmers when going off.

The current 1/200 sync speed is only just acceptable with 1/160 really the top safe sync sped in studio with radio triggers.
The shutter sound, while not a huge issue, is cheap and noisy compared to the competition. Making it sound like the Fuji X-H1 or the Panasonic S-1 would go a long way to making the body feel more of a quality item.

Thank you. I’m glad I switched to Canon but the sound of the RP shutter compared to any Nikon I’ve owned is like fingernails on a blackboard. Like broken plastic.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
You know these Canon cameras take still photos too, right?

Let me give you two examples:

1) I'm shooting a sports event and I want raw images for post processing, but also want JPEGs for immediate posting on social media; AND
2) I'm shooting portraits at an event, and we want to print quick JPEGs for immediate use, by transferring from a memory card, and also save raw files for better post processing and providing online.

I have had both those happen in the last two months and #2 used my R, but ran into problems when my assistant accidentally deleted the photos of the card that were supposed to have been kept.
[/QUOT

I am a wildlife photographer and it is not always easy to add a laptop to my gear because of bulk or weight restrictions. I carry enough cards for my trips and use the second card slot as a backup. Once I finish each set of cards, I store a full set in different bags as a backup. If traveling with my wife, she carries the second set. I never delete images or format a card until I am home on my computer.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
What a messy thread :LOL:

So we are basically sure that we'll get:

1DX III
High resolution RF camera
Highly affordable RF camera (< 1000$)

And we may get one camera that we can apparently just speculate about. Of these, a lower MP body to rival the A7S makes the least amount of sense to me if it has to be low end enough to not interfere with the 1DX III.

The high resolution R has got a lot of talk already. But I'm really curious about the lower cost one. I'm assuming this will still be FF.

Will it share a sensor with another camera to better leverage economies of scale? If so, which camera would that be? Can't be the high resolution R one. I also can't see them putting the 1DX III sensor in anything else, even though it is low res enough to suite a lower end body. What does that leave? Reuse the 5D IV sensor or 6D II sensor AGAIN? Is that actually cheaper than moving everything to the same technology generation? The 80D sensor has tickled all the way down to almost every crop camera Canon made.

And what else will be cut? Obviously, no EVF. Makes some sense, the current external one is a bit aged and if they bring out a newer version it would benefit this camera and the M6 II.

Apart from that, what does the RP have that one doesn't strictly need?

They may not have enough fab capacity for the new sensor yet, which might motivate them to repurpose the older sensor technology in a lower end camera.

Upvote 0
this isn't handled at all by a second card slot but handled by background wifi image transfer directly to your smartphone as you shoot.

That is another way to do it, and I use that also when I post directly. But, I often need to get quick images to someone else and appreciate having it on a card and not having to futz with my phone.

Upvote 0