Review: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III real world sports review

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Longtime professional sports photographer Peter Read Miller had a chance to photograph some NFL playoff action recently with the brand new Canon EOS-1 D X Mark III.
Peter breaks down everything about the camera and shows us a ton of images from a couple of NFL playoff games. I am quite impressed with how the autofocus performs.
What you get when you preorder from us.

Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Body
64gb CFexpress card and reader
$100 gift certificate from Lensrentals.com (Exclusive, USA Only)
A chance to have your entire purchase refunded by Adorama! (Refund occurs once the return period has ended)

Preorder the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Now!

Continue reading...

Had a chance to demo one a Mark III. Can’t speak to the IQ or focus accuracy but if you are a BBF point focuser, and I think a lot of Canon shooters still are, that optical AF ON button is a game changer. It’s not a toggle it’s more like an optical mouse it senses your thumb move around but only focuses when you press it. Of course you can do both at once too which is currently impossible unless you have two thumbs on your right hand. very nice
Was back shooting with my Mark II this afternoon and all I could think about was how annoyed I was that I had to take my thumb off the AF On button to move the focus point.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Had a chance to demo one a Mark III. Can’t speak to the IQ or focus accuracy but if you are a BBF point focuser, and I think a lot of Canon shooters still are, that optical AF ON button is a game changer. It’s not a toggle it’s more like an optical mouse it senses your thumb move around but only focuses when you press it. Of course you can do both at once too which is currently impossible unless you have two thumbs on your right hand. very nice
Was back shooting with my Mark II this afternoon and all I could think about was how annoyed I was that I had to take my thumb off the AF On button to move the focus point.
I am living vicariously through you... even with the Mark II. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I am living vicariously through you... even with the Mark II. ;)
And I was living vicariously through the demo unit. The Mark II was a one-off for me. It’s very nice but I don’t have any practical reason To justify owning it. I’ll likely sell it at some point to get one of the new R’s. But, It’s good to know that if I keep the Mark II it will never wear out.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
I can't imagine it would be any less compatible than the 1DXii was.
Well, that´s the point.....it must be MUCH BETTER than the 1dx II. The 1dx II didn´t even allow you to record externally in 4k, only 1080p. I read in white paper this new one support external 4k, witch is a big thing! Now i hope we can use external monitors to have zebras and to allow direct video timelapse recording in 4k. (this last one is a wish, but don´t think it will be true.) Well, despite that, can´t wait to have the camera! :)

Upvote 0
Well, that´s the point.....it must be MUCH BETTER than the 1dx II. The 1dx II didn´t even allow you to record externally in 4k, only 1080p. I read in white paper this new one support external 4k, witch is a big thing! Now i hope we can use external monitors to have zebras and to allow direct video timelapse recording in 4k. (this last one is a wish, but don´t think it will be true.) Well, despite that, can´t wait to have the camera! :)

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to shoot 4k video external on a 1DX body, when you could do it on an R body more conveniently and much cheaper?

Upvote 0
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to shoot 4k video external on a 1DX body, when you could do it on an R body more conveniently and much cheaper?
Well, completely different cameras. I want the camera no only for video, I also shoot photography. I own a 1dx mkII and I want to keep the EOS 1d series. Love it for photo. Regarding video, EOS R makes good video but again, not up the match of this beast its coming. Different bitrate, different frame rates, different codec. HEVC (H265) in 1dx mkIII is a new game. Overall cameras can´t compare. EOS R was a great revolution! It´s a great camera and finally Canon have open the gate for 4k externally. But doesn´t compare to this new 1dx. This new 1dx almost kill the need of external recording, because camera can record everything internally (unless atomos could make some magic and unlock some 4k 120fps!! :D ) But the mais reason of using an external monitor is to have another features...False color, zebras, focus peaking (wich now have the 1d) histogram, etc...and also with the plus that you can record to SSD cards if you need. So, it would be good if 1dx is fully compatible and have all the FPS unlocked, but i guess we will have only 25fps (im in Pal region).

Upvote 0

KKCFamilyman

Capturing moments in time...
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando
www.allofamily.net
This review is exactly why I love Canon as this model gets compared to Sony on other sites. These bodies and lenses are used by professionals who make a living on capturing that decisive moment. I am sure it will still be picked apart but I think it looks to be the best Camera on the market as it can do all. That AF tracking was amazing. Maybe I am just a Canon fanboy but I want this camera.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
And I was living vicariously through the demo unit. The Mark II was a one-off for me. It’s very nice but I don’t have any practical reason To justify owning it. I’ll likely sell it at some point to get one of the new R’s. But, It’s good to know that if I keep the Mark II it will never wear out.
I really would like being able to justify having to buy a EOS 1 Mk.III, but, sadly, I can't... :cry:

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
This review is exactly why I love Canon as this model gets compared to Sony on other sites. These bodies and lenses are used by professionals who make a living on capturing that decisive moment. I am sure it will still be picked apart but I think it looks to be the best Camera on the market as it can do all. That AF tracking was amazing. Maybe I am just a Canon fanboy but I want this camera.
Sure it’s an amazing camera but it is far too expensive for most photographers. It’s also a huge camera so not great for a lot of people wanting a smaller, lighter camera. Also far from ideal ergonomics (esp with the in built in battery grip) for video camera rigs.

Upvote 0

domo_p1000

EOS-1D X MkIII | EOS-1D X MkII
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2013
Sure it’s an amazing camera but it is far too expensive for most photographers. It’s also a huge camera so not great for a lot of people wanting a smaller, lighter camera. Also far from ideal ergonomics (esp with the in built in battery grip) for video camera rigs.
… it is not designed for 'most photographers' - that 's what the rest of the range is for.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Fran Decatta

EOS R6
Mar 6, 2019
Canon already improved AF, AF in low light situations, got awesome lenses (great lenses on EF, and personally love the RF). 1DXmk3 is a monster. Only wish to know if the Dynamic range is also improved over the 1dxmk2. Honestly, with the DR of 1dxmk2, 5Dmk4, eos R, is more than enough for my work, pure joy to work with eos R, (you have to be really bad exposing the photo or really need a huge DR, like some landscapes, if is not enough) but all the improvements are welcome!

Upvote 0