Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Apr 25, 2011
I mean you can define value a lot of ways, but I would define it as the price I can get on the open market. I would absolutely expect if canon released a killer RF body on the heels of an announcement that they will be investing less in new EF models that fair market prices on used glass would drop.
Personally, I am not going to sell my TS-E 17 or 100-400 II any time soon. Still, I don't see how releasing such a body would negatively affect their price on the open market.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Honest question here, I don't know for sure... Is there really that much "processing" that needs to happen in a raw video format? I mean it's not like the camera has to crunch a bunch of numbers to encode what's coming from the sensor into whatever compressed format you're saving to... Just open up the pipeline between the sensor and the memory card, and let the data flow, right? Seems like up to now we have been largely limited by memory card write speed, but with CF express, that limitation is gone.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The pixel density is too low to replace a 7D Mark II for long-reach applications (17MP in APS-c mode) and no information about the usability of the viewfinder (I find all Sony's and both Canon's to be unusable, so whether or not I ever switch away from SLRs depends heavily on this point).
It is close however and I was wandering if it could be better to sacrifice just a little (20->17 or 50->45 if you will) at low light situations to gain in lower noise. And the IQ will be generations better than that of 7DII.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
With respect, I think you're applying a pretty strict definition of 'art' to say that no photographs achieve it. A lot of people who consider themselves artists (and are generally considered to be so by society as a whole) produce what they consider to be art using photography.

I know.

And a lot of people, including every major art gallery and museum in the world, acquires those works on the basis that they are art. And to achieve some of the effects these artists use in producing their works can take a lot of MP, very high ISO, and a variety of fancy techniques/features that most of us would never use.

I don't consider it art unless you start with nothing, like the composer and a blank sheet of music, a sculptor with a block of marble, a painter with a blank canvas, or a sculptor with a lump of clay. Using technology to record what's already there is a skill or craft, not an art. It's the difference between the composer of a piece of music and the audio technician who records the performance in the studio. The audio technician isn't an artist. He has to have skill and that skill matters a lot for the final result, I just wouldn't call it art because it's not being created from nothing, just recorded. Like photography.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Honest question here, I don't know for sure... Is there really that much "processing" that needs to happen in a raw video format?

Compression.

I mean it's not like the camera has to crunch a bunch of numbers to encode what's coming from the sensor into whatever compressed format you're saving to... Just open up the pipeline between the sensor and the memory card, and let the data flow, right? Seems like up to now we have been largely limited by memory card write speed, but with CF express, that limitation is gone.

Compression is a CPU-intensive process. Imagine zipping a 2 gigabyte file every second.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2016
At the risk of being seriously abused, what is about these specs that is making so many people excited?

(Listing only the CR3 specs)

Named the Canon EOS R5
45mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical, 20fps electronic
8K @ 30fps RAW
4K @ 120fps
Built-in 5GHz WiFi
New battery, but the same shape and compatibility as the EOS 5D Mark IV
Launching in July 2020

I guess I'm showing my bias for stills, but unless they have corrected some things I'm not super-excited.

Items that need correction:

Single spot autofocus
Faster autofocusing with less hunting
More accurate autofocus, particularly on eye and face selection (needs to lock on selected subject)
Better ergonomics overall

I'm not saying these things won't happen. I hope they do. But I'm having a hard time reconciling the CR 3 specs with all the excitement.

I think you must remember that Canon cameras are nearly always much better than their specs suggest. So if Canon really brings out a camera with these top level specs then it will be a fair bet we will see an incredible camera. Sony cameras for example often have very good specs but you'll often find many caveats (this or that feature doesn't work if you want high fps etc) then there are all the other downsides. Most were expecting to get maybe a high res camera that didn't have a good frame rate or video specs, as Canon has tended to really try to segment the market. Just look at the 5Ds for example. Having said that Sony and Nikon are now consistently offering high res, high fps, fully featured bodies and sooner or later Canon was going to have to respond to some extent.

You're right though that a lot of it is aimed at video but that becomes ever more popular.

Many are excited about the prospect of IBIS as Canon has never put it in any camera before. In my case I want it for adapting old glass, in particular a lot of EF glass that will allow me to avoid buying too much RF glass while it is priced high over the coming year or two. If there is no IBIS R camera then I am going to bite the bullet some point this year and get the RF 24-70 L 2.8 IS as having a stabilised 2.8 normal zoom is so useful. However if they bring out an IBIS model with these sort of specs it means I can happily keep using my EF 24-70L adapted. Many people have enormous collections of EF mount glasss so it's potentially a big deal.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
It is close however and I was wandering if it could be better to sacrifice just a little (20->17 or 50->45 if you will) at low light situations to gain in lower noise.

You don't get lower noise from going to lower pixel counts, you get lower noise from going to a larger sensor and preserving the same f-stop.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
You don't get lower noise from going to lower pixel counts, you get lower noise from going to a larger sensor and preserving the same f-stop.
I was talking about noise reduction due to the newer generation camera. Since it seems it will be available before the 80 or so mpixel body and your choice will be the new 45 one vs 5DsR.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Never, until they come up with a true upgrade or my needs drastically change from now.

In 2016 I upgraded from a full-frame 5D to the crop 7DII, and that was a great choice for me. My lens kit is now built around that camera, and four of my lenses are crop-lenses.
R series cameras are perfectly happy with EF-s Lenses and have a crop mode to accommodate them. I did detect a bit of qualification in that last "never" :) .

Upvote 0