Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
NO mention here of dual card slots! should we just assume that it will have them?
To take a guess, I would say one CFExpress slot and one SD UHSII slot. That satisfies the need for speed and keeps the penurious from whining about card cost. It also saves space and probably power relative to two CFE slots and consistent with 5D tradition.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Assuming the DIGIC X can do 45MP x 20fps, or 900MPs, is this what the R lineup will look like by the end of the year:

ModelPriceMPFPSVideoNotes
RP$7002654k/24Cost reduced
R (& Ra + $1,000)$1,4003084k/60EOL?
RII (w/smart controller)$2,40032124k/60 (or 120?)No Crop, 2 SD slots
R5$3,70045208k/30DR & high ISO, 2 x CF Express
RS? (same as R5 body)$3,70075128k/30DR, 2 x CF Express
R1 (1d battery)$5,00024/3237/284k/120Best AF, Very high ISO, 2 x CF Express

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
There will be a lot of embarrassed people if this is wrong.
DPR wouldn't have put it up if it wasn't mostly true (and they had permission or direction from Canon to do so because they are no doubt under NDA). This is called marketing at its finest. The whole camera crowd is going to be talking about nothing but this until the announcement date. The surprise bonus will be if availability is April instead of July, which is quite likely.

Upvote 0
I think it's interesting that all those start with nothing, except photography. Photography starts with some sort of scene. If you create the scene, that's art. If you don't, it's not, at least to me.

All due respect, what did so many of (especially) the classic artists create from nothing? Not landscapes, or portraits, or still lifes. They 'selected' those subjects from what they saw in the world. Nobody 'creates' a landscape in that sense. And I don't think anybody would argue that all those landscapes hanging in museums are art. You see it, experience it, and interpret in some medium with whatever tools you like. Brushes, chisels, cameras, etc.

It wasn't until relatively recently that anybody created from nothing. I'm getting in over my head here, but it could be argued from nothing only happens with abstracts and like that. I'm not an art historian, but you know what I mean.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
DPR wouldn't have put it up if it wasn't mostly true (and they had permission or direction from Canon to do so because they are no doubt under NDA). This is called marketing at its finest. The whole camera crowd is going to be talking about nothing but this until the announcement date. The surprise bonus will be if availability is April instead of July, which is quite likely.
Maybe not permission from Canon, but I could see a clause on re-reporting on rumours if another site presents it first. Then again, maybe it's the other way around and DPReview received a tester copy and they're the source for the rumour... I'm going to need a tin foil hat.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Assuming the DIGIC X can do 45MP x 20fps, or 900MPs, is this what the R lineup will look like by the end of the year:

ModelPriceMPFPSVideoNotes
RP$7002654k/24Cost reduced
R (& Ra + $1,000)$1,4003084k/60EOL?
RII (w/smart controller)$2,40032124k/60 (or 120?)No Crop, 2 SD slots
R5$3,70045208k/30DR & high ISO, 2 x CF Express
RS? (same as R5 body)$3,70075128k/30DR, 2 x CF Express
R1 (1d battery)$5,00024/3237/284k/120Best AF, Very high ISO, 2 x CF Express
Only a few quibbles. I think the R5 and RS will have one CFE and one UHS II slot conceptually consistent with the 5D line. Also, good likelihood that the RII will be 40MP to allow for straight 2:1 pixel binning for full width video. R1 may well roll into 2021 as not really needed any sooner. RP follow-on should do at least 4k/30 to be in the game.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Maybe not permission from Canon, but I could see a clause on re-reporting on rumours if another site presents it first. Then again, maybe it's the other way around and DPReview received a tester copy and they're the source for the rumour... I'm going to need a tin foil hat.
Or the rumor came straight from Canon through a couple of layers of misdirection. The only Item I question is the delivery date. The 1DX III was in DPR's hands weeks before the announcement and the availability date was very quick, particularly for a 1 series. It makes no sense that they would put a 6 month delay in a 5 series camera unless they have a hell of a lot of inventory to flush at bargain prices in the meantime.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017

both sites quoting and reinforcing each other... like a resonance ;-)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Me: CR3, wow. The chatter will be interesting.

[Life happens for a bit]

Me: Okay, let's see what people are talking ab---

So a musician isn't a musician unless he builds his own piano, right?
A musician is always a musician. They aren't an artist unless they compose their own music or improvise during performance.

So I'm not sure if this camera is indeed real, but I'm mos def believing that you guys are starting a band.

- A

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Or the rumor came straight from Canon through a couple of layers of misdirection. The only Item I question is the delivery date. The 1DX III was in DPR's hands weeks before the announcement and the availability date was very quick, particularly for a 1 series. It makes no sense that they would put a 6 month delay in a 5 series camera unless they have a hell of a lot of inventory to flush at bargain prices in the meantime.
Maybe they're staggering the release date to take account of the 1D X iii release? Not that they'll be producing squillions of the 1D X iii, but two major releases is still something to be managed.

We're also assuming this is the first EOS R series camera to be released this year - the latest rumour was there would be 3 of them. I think we had been assuming the RS would be the first. Could that still come first?

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Only a few quibbles. I think the R5 and RS will have one CFE and one UHS II slot conceptually consistent with the 5D line. Also, good likelihood that the RII will be 40MP to allow for straight 2:1 pixel binning for full width video. R1 may well roll into 2021 as not really needed any sooner. RP follow-on should do at least 4k/30 to be in the game.
I went back and forth on that. If you have more throughput than the 1DX3, would you throttle down when you switch to the SD slot? If you are asking consumers to buy new glass (as an investment) then I think you can do that for storage on $3,700 bodies. Maybe the RII has one of each as an intro to CFE.

The RII will be in an interesting spot. It can't encroach on the R5, but has to offer something over the R. I thought +2MP and 2 slots was not enough, but what more can you do without devaluing the R5. The R5 differentiator can't only be 8k...

With the 1DX3 just out, one would expect the R1 would be at least a year if not more. Need some big RF glass to drive the need. Also, as a former sports shooter, EVF lag is not acceptable, so that is a challenge.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Wouldn't including a UHS II card have an effect on the FPS - the headline speeds would seem to assume using a CFE? I know using both cards at once reduces speeds generally anyway.
And using a slow SD card slows down a 5DII/5DIII/5DS/5DIV. Nothing new there. Not everybody needs the speed at all, and most don't need it all the time. SD cards are WAY cheaper, even the UHSII variety.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That's incorrect and things are more complicated. There's well capacity factor and it contributes to the DR. And well capacity depends on the pixel size, although there are methods to improve it on smaller pixels. More on this you can find in this good article https://clarkvision.com/articles/does.pixel.size.matter/#sensorconstant
Leaving aside edge effects, the well capacity per unit area is the same for large and small pixels. DR is defined by enlarging the area of the sensor to a fixed output size in photonstophotos.net, and by theory and experiment is independent of pixel size for sensors of the same size and chacteristics.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
I went back and forth on that. If you have more throughput than the 1DX3, would you throttle down when you switch to the SD slot? If you are asking consumers to buy new glass (as an investment) then I think you can do that for storage on $3,700 bodies. Maybe the RII has one of each as an intro to CFE.

The RII will be in an interesting spot. It can't encroach on the R5, but has to offer something over the R. I thought +2MP and 2 slots was not enough, but what more can you do without devaluing the R5. The R5 differentiator can't only be 8k...

With the 1DX3 just out, one would expect the R1 would be at least a year if not more. Need some big RF glass to drive the need. Also, as a former sports shooter, EVF lag is not acceptable, so that is a challenge.
Throttling with an SD card has been an issue with the 5 series back at least a far as the 5DII, so nothing new there. The RII would lose 8k, 4k /120, 4k cinema format, and some AF features and very likely IBIS. Plenty of differentiation. Sony only offers IBIS on the high end because it is not cheap to build well.

Upvote 0