Canon EOS R5 Specifications

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
So because Ansel Adams didn't create Yosemite, he's not an artist?

Correct.

And people who paint landscapes - even interpreted, or with techniques like pointillism - aren't either?

They are - because of the interpretation. They are adding their own creativity to what is there.

I've seen many artists paint landscapes in a studio - landscapes they came up with entirely from their mind based on past experiences and their own imagination. That's art. Shooting a picture of a landscape, no matter how expertly done, isn't art to me, it's skill.

It's funny how many photographers defend photography as an art. I think it's insecurity - they are unwilling as a group to admit they do photography because they aren't very artistic. I just happen to be a photographer that's willing to admit that fact, and that's uncomfortable to many people. I think most people who call themselves "fine art photographers" would be painters if they had the talent and skill to do so. They don't, so they took up photography. Some then became greatly skilled in photography, and there's nothing at all wrong with that. In fact, I think it takes a lot of skill to become good at at least some types of photography, probably most types.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Regarding Craig's latest update to the specs (removing RAW from 8K30), isn't the sensor pixels (8192x5460=~44.7MP) already being read at least 30 times a second to feed the EVF?

Unlikely.

The EVF is probably 1600x1200 or something similar (there are a lot of possible options including different aspect ratios), so it's entirely possible (and highly likely) that tons of rows and columns are being skipped during read out to feed that EVF (which is one reason EVFs have such bad video artifacts). And I'd certainly hope that the EVF is being updated way, way faster than 30fps. I consider under 200 to be unusable but most people are happy with 60-120fps. Few would be happy with 30fps.

Upvote 0
guys guys.. this is ridiculous. You know how canon tries to keep the cinema line separate.. t
actually they do not. that's an internet myth.
canon as specifically stated. empathically and clearly that they do not separate and worry about competition with the CINI line. People that buy CINI cameras aren't going to decide not to buy a CINI camera and turn around and purchase a 4K mirrorless or DSLR.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
[

Sounds too good to be true but it may simply show that Canon didn't plan for high video specs until a few years ago and didn't have the processor (and maybe sensor) to do it. Now it all depends on AF performance...
I think a major canon decision in the video/mirrorless world was to develop dual pixel technology and that goes back quite a ways now. After that, it was about where they wanted to go and when they could get there.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Correct.

They are - because of the interpretation. They are adding their own creativity to what is there.

I've seen many artists paint landscapes in a studio - landscapes they came up with entirely from their mind based on past experiences and their own imagination. That's art. Shooting a picture of a landscape, no matter how expertly done, isn't art to me, it's skill.

It's funny how many photographers defend photography as an art. I think it's insecurity - they are unwilling as a group to admit they do photography because they aren't very artistic. I just happen to be a photographer that's willing to admit that fact, and that's uncomfortable to many people. I think most people who call themselves "fine art photographers" would be painters if they had the talent and skill to do so. They don't, so they took up photography. Some then became greatly skilled in photography, and there's nothing at all wrong with that. In fact, I think it takes a lot of skill to become good at at least some types of photography, probably most types.
You've certainly generated an interesting sub-thread here, Lee Jay. I'm not sure why, but, you have, and photographers and critics have been debating this point for well over a century.

However, your earlier definition of art stops at the 17th Century, basically nullifying any works that don't fall within its 400 year old perspectives.

Not all photographs are art. Not all lumps of clay poked and pinched by a toddler are art. (Or are they?)

Some buildings are just buildings. But some are architectural art masterpieces.

Without art, how could there be art critics? But without art critics, who defines art?

It's my opinion that if we reject the critics entirely, all and nothing is art.

But some photographs cause the viewer's soul to sing, and I would call that art. And I say this is independent of the type of subject, whether it is a child, an especially beautiful person captured in exquisite light, a landscape, etc.

Here are two more questions: If somebody uses found objects to create a still-life, is that art? And would the photograph of that still-life be part of the creation, or merely documentation?

Surely you would understand that many people reading your post quoted above would wonder if you are simply projecting your feelings about your photography onto all other photographers.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Here are two more questions: If somebody uses found objects to create a still-life, is that art? And would the photograph of that still-life be part of the creation, or merely documentation?

Probably documentation, but it depends on how much of the scene they created.

Surely you would understand that many people reading your post quoted above would wonder if you are simply projecting your feelings about your photography onto all other photographers.

I've been to many art museums in many cities and I've been to many art shows, and I've never seen any photography I'd call art, from any photographer. Some people who have seen some of my photography think it's art, even though I don't.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
actually they do not. that's an internet myth.
canon as specifically stated. empathically and clearly that they do not separate and worry about competition with the CINI line. People that buy CINI cameras aren't going to decide not to buy a CINI camera and turn around and purchase a 4K mirrorless or DSLR.

Correct! And of course also depends on the type of movie you are making, the budgets, etc...etc....not everyone needs a cine camera, nor everyone can do their jobs with mirrorless. Cine cameras have other specific things different from mirrorless.

About the update:

Well, that was the major thing in the rumor that i was doubting! 8k raw sounded really "too much". Maybe this is a timelapse feature for 8k timelapse videos. That would be quite good!
Praying that most of the rumors are correct, I really want to buy this one! :D

Upvote 0
Correct.

We should call up the academy and tell them to get rid of awards for cinematography.

I understand your point, but think you will find yourself in the minority. A plain picture of something without any thought is not very artistic, but a photographer who looks for the perfect angle and the perfect lighting for what he is trying to capture is clearly an artist. I think of Nigel Danson as one current example of a photographer that would be extremely difficult to argue is not an artist. Of course there are degrees between someone like him and Adams and the point and shoot person.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Sounds too good to be true but it may simply show that Canon didn't plan for high video specs until a few years ago and didn't have the processor (and maybe sensor) to do it. Now it all depends on AF performance...

Hopefully these cameras will sport the new quad pixel autofocus that is supposed to be the successor to the current dual pixel AF.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Just because all art forms accepted (except photography) can start from nothing doesn't mean that everything that is started from nothing is art. Assuming so would be a logical fallacy. Art also has to have a creative element and be aesthetically pleasing to at least some people (most art is aesthetically pleasing to a small fraction of the population).
Lee Jay, you do know the definition of art you posted included film... which is a form of photography.

Art also has to have a creative element and be aesthetically pleasing to at least some people (most art is aesthetically pleasing to a small fraction of the population).

Of course, I accept you individual definition for yourself. Playing devil's advocate.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Well... the 1DXIII is (via www) 6500$ in US - and 7300€ in Germany... :eek:
Ordered the 5D IV back in 2016 at 4099€... so 4500 should be possible. I do hope for cheaper prices too.

I do believe, Canon will milk the cow an much as possible.
Yes I remember that 4000+€ price. But I had gotten it for about 3300something (grey import UK/hence my worries for Brexit next year). Waiting will soften the deal. But 7300!!!!!!! for 1DxIII Too much!

And yes Canon will continue milking no questions about it!

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
did i read the eos r had no ai servo? Hoping this has it. But it would probably be ayear after release that i even think of buying it.
The EOS R has AI Servo, and for what it's worth I've had better luck with it at wide apertures than I ever did with the AI Servo in the 5D4.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Regarding Craig's latest update to the specs (removing RAW from 8K30), isn't the sensor pixels (8192x5460=~44.7MP) already being read at least 30 times a second to feed the EVF? Why do some people assume the 8K is a time-lapse, which involves more processing?
To feed the EVF, you don't have to read all the lines from the sensor. For 8K video, you do.

Upvote 0