Canon EOS Utility (Lens Reg especially) Camera Not Recognized

There are few things more annoying than a lag when one Is shooting. But there's a new, particularly annoying, lag that I'm sure I'm not alone in becoming increasingly frustrated about: Canon's delay in keeping its Canon Utility software updates up with Apple's Catalina recent release. Surely Canon would prefer that we use their native software rather than the alternatives? Canon: do the right thing by your loyal clients. Please.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
As of today Canon Australia Support says they are 'preparing to release versions' to correct the issue. Didn't say exactly when though.

Their advice is to connect via wi-fi, except that I've always struggled to do that too. Thanks heavens for Lightroom, which remarkably can manage to keep up with the newest macOS. Almost like they get betas and prepare their patches pre-release.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks, Jethro. I'll give the Wifi a try. The response to our request for help is all a bit disappointingly slow, though, isn't it?
Look, it is. They are saying that macOS 10.15.2 dropped on 11 December, but it seems like they hadn't tested their software against the beta versions, and the effect on EOS Utility came as a complete surprise to them. I get that they are not a software house as such, but you're right that they are encouraging camera users to use their software. It's not a good look.

Upvote 0
Hi Alan. Thank you for joining in. I am using it for tethering. And the shoot was all moving along as planned. Until the Catalina Update. One can be patient but this is not the first time there's been a delay in responding to an Apple Software Update. Canon are a big player and should be much more proactive than they've been with this. I agree with Jethro's comments and his comparison to Lightroom's quick response. But, again, thank you for your advice Alan.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Excellent news - when I updated to Catalina 10.15.3 (available from today) EOS Utility 3 opens as it should when the camera is attached! Thanks Apple (not so much Canon ...).

I find very funnt this:

Windows breaks application: bad Microsoft, you can't write software!
macOS breaks application': bad application, your developers can't write software!

If Apple fixed the issue it was an Apple one, one of the many Catalina brought, why blame Canon? Maybe they even reported the issue to Apple, and probably not only them,.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I find very funnt this:

Windows breaks application: bad Microsoft, you can't write software!
macOS breaks application': bad application, your developers can't write software!

If Apple fixed the issue it was an Apple one, one of the many Catalina brought, why blame Canon? Maybe they even reported the issue to Apple, and probably not only them,.
If you bothered to read the thread above, you'll understand why Canon deserve criticism here. The EOS Utility stopped working after 10.15.2 was introduced last year - as Apple support admit. They told me (and others only recently) that they were working on fixes, and Apple beat them to it as part of their own latest release. The way software (like the EOS Utility) releases work is that they adhere to operating systems, and apply patches as required (generally by keeping up to date with beta release versions of the operating system software). Canon didn't in this case, got caught out, and admitted their mistake. Now it's fixed, and Apple Catalina users amongst us can get on with our lives. Any problem with that?

Upvote 0