Lenses and Cooking Grease

Jun 23, 2014
This may be a stupid question but I'm always paranoid about damaging my equipment so this has me worrying...

So yesterday on an assignment for work, I was photographing people cooking chicken wings. My cameras now have a slight oily feel and the rubber reeks of cooking grease. This is all just from being in the room where the food was being cooked.

My question -- is it likely the cooking grease from the air got inside the body and lenses? I'm now worrying that there is an oil buildup inside the lenses from being in this environment yesterday. I was using 1DX II + 70-200 2.8 III and 1DX + 16-35 2.8 III, both lenses with filters, if that even makes a difference.

Mar 25, 2011
This may be a stupid question but I'm always paranoid about damaging my equipment so this has me worrying...

So yesterday on an assignment for work, I was photographing people cooking chicken wings. My cameras now have a slight oily feel and the rubber reeks of cooking grease. This is all just from being in the room where the food was being cooked.

My question -- is it likely the cooking grease from the air got inside the body and lenses? I'm now worrying that there is an oil buildup inside the lenses from being in this environment yesterday. I was using 1DX II + 70-200 2.8 III and 1DX + 16-35 2.8 III, both lenses with filters, if that even makes a difference.
Its not likely to get inside, just clean the outside as normal.

Upvote 0