Canon EOS R6 specifications [CR3]

epic.one

EOS M5 | Sony A7
Jan 26, 2019
Johannesburg
Wow. So this is obviously not the EOS RS. It's not the EOS R ii. Exactly what is it?? Same sensor as the 1D X III?
Its basically the Sony-killer for combo (video and photo) shooters.
Will probably lack the headphone jack, dual card slots, and C-Log, but will cost less than an A7III and have a tilting touchscreen.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

Great piece over at Canon news. I've said on here myself, the 4K120 on the R5 will clearly come with strong caveats (like a pretty huge crop at 120fps 4k or line skipping, etc...). The R6 based on its sensor size should perform equal to the 1DX2 and 1DX3 so far as video goes with the 4K60. (the 1DX2 had 4k60 on this very same sensor with and older/slower processor).

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
Or it is rumoured low light body. Which could be really good. If there are no drawbacks like one cards slot etc, then R5 together with R6 would be perfect kit for wedding photographer. R6 for low light and maybe faster in terms of readout (better silent shutter) and R5 for portraits etc. Sounds really good to me :)
Based on sensor resolution alone it seems like the R5 - R6 team very closely resembles the Nikon Z7 - Z6 combo. I recently bought the Z6 because it has what I want and it uses all my Canon lenses perfectly with an adapter. If the R6 has the low light capabilities of the Z6 it will be a huge success, and I may sell my Z6 which I only bought for the auto focus-stack capabilities. I am prepared to pre-order the R5 right now because I sold my 5D3 and I am now stuck with only the 5DSR, 7D2, Pentax K-1, and a Nikon Z6.

Upvote 0
Based on sensor resolution alone it seems like the R5 - R6 team very closely resembles the Nikon Z7 - Z6 combo. I recently bought the Z6 because it has what I want and it uses all my Canon lenses perfectly with an adapter. If the R6 has the low light capabilities of the Z6 it will be a huge success, and I may sell my Z6 which I only bought for the auto focus-stack capabilities. I am prepared to pre-order the R5 right now because I sold my 5D3 and I am now stuck with only the 5DSR, 7D2, Pentax K-1, and a Nikon Z6.
As I already wrote in different thread, I was told by canon marketing guy, that this year we will see high mpx body and low light body. Based on the R5 and R6 specs I m startung to trust more what he said. But he might be wrong, I admit that. But I really widh, he was telling truth. Would be really great wedding combo...

Upvote 0
Of what "that"? Of decreased DR at base ISO?

Because physics. Global shutter is not some sort of LCD filter in front of the sensor. It's a set of gates that allow photoelectrons to flow from the potential well in the photoelectron-collecting part of a pixel to the potential well of the same (or greater) capacity in the non-photoelectron-collecting part of the same pixel.
Because physics? What a snide BS response.
Your camera has always had a global shutter for photos.
"Global shutter" merely means that the sensor is read for an exposure of the entire sensor such that the top of the frame is exposed at the same time as the bottom of the frame. Rolling shutter, and the resulting jello effect, is due to exposure and readout occurring line by line from top to bottom. Any given pixel is NOT exposed to more or less light regardless of whether it is a global shutter or a rolling shutter. In fact if that was the case then setting exposure would be different for rolling vs global shutters, and it is not.
And it does not affect dynamic range.
My reference to the electronic ND was a solution to your claim that there would be too much light in the case of the global shutter, which is false anyway.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Because physics? What a snide BS response.
Have you read what was written after, or did mentioning of physics just shut your brain?

Sorry, but in order to understand the limitations of global shutter, you need to know some physics.

Your camera has always had a global shutter for photos.
No, it has a mechanical rolling shutter (why do you think there is X-sync shutter speed)? It's just that the mechanical shutter is much faster than the electronic one.

"Global shutter" merely means that the sensor is read for an exposure of the entire sensor such that the top of the frame is exposed at the same time as the bottom of the frame.
Do you have any idea how it physically happens, given the limited data bandwidth between the sensor and the rest of the camera? Or... because magic?

My reference to the electronic ND was a solution to your claim that there would be too much light in the case of the global shutter,
There were no such claim. There is no problem to make a sensor with an intentionally decreased quantum efficiency if needed.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
What do you think on the idea by Tony Northrup that eos R6 will be like the Panasonics S1H camera with similar of price range , around 5000$?
I do hope It will not be the case.

I had to (BARF) watch the first few mins of that video to see if he really said that.... YUP. He did.

Nuttier than a squirrel turd.

No way on earth Canon is pricing that 1) MORE than the R5. and 2) at $5000. The Sony A7s is under $3k and Canon considers that FAR more a competitor than the S1H.

It really depends how deeply video centric the R6 is. Canon has a lot of what most people want right now in the EOS R for video, short of FF readout and 4k60, and throw IBIS in there for good measure. The EOS R is now at $1799. in other words, its priced to match the Sony A7.

IF the R6 has a bunch of truly dedicated video features like maybe C-Log 2 or zebras and false color or maybe even ProRes RAW output etc...(things they would not put in the R5) then I could see it sitting along side the R5 at the $3500 range. If Canon intends to be competitive with the A7s however, we're talking $2500. If it intends to be competitive with the A7, then expect $1500-$1800 where the EOS R is now. But $5000??? Hell no. The Panny S1H is $3999

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Seems like there's two price camps.Although kind of 70/30. I cannot believe that the 5/6 naming and correlating price structure will be any different with mirror or without. Seems it's the A7Ss killer people that think that somehow it will be more expensive. Hmmmm....Everyone else (the 70%) reads the R6 as lower everything. A mirrorless 6D2 to it's 5D4 compadre.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Seems like there's two price camps.Although kind of 70/30. I cannot believe that the 5/6 naming and correlating price structure will be any different with mirror or without. Seems it's the A7Ss killer people that think that somehow it will be more expensive. Hmmmm....Everyone else (the 70%) reads the R6 as lower everything. A mirrorless 6D2 to it's 5D4 compadre.
Obviously the R6 name suggests a 6D level camera, but at the same time the specs don't yell 6D to me.

My speculation is:

R5 will be the 5D level mirrorless camera. I'm a little surprised it will jump all the way to 45 MP, but if it has a C-RAW mode at about 30 MP that should satisfy anyone who doesn't want larger files. I think (similar to what others have said), there will be caveats to a number of the specs we have seen, eg 12 FPS mechanical shutter / 20 FPS electronic shutter will have focus and quite probably exposure locked at the first frame. Wiith AF and AE, I reckon the FPS will drop to something around the 7 FPS which the 5D IV does now (which will be a step up the 4.3 FPS the 5D IV does in live view, even before accounting for the increased resolution), maybe closer to 10 FPS if we are lucky. I don't do video so I am not across details but my guess is it will do very good video but there will be compromises there somewhere, eg 8K will be timelapse, 4K120 will be for a short burst only, and there may be limitations even on the other 4K modes (eg no DPAF - that might be trade off against having full frame 4K on a 45 MP sensor). It will probably have a tilt/flip screen (although maybe not) and will be an excellent allrounder, with plenty of resolution, but it won't be anything like as fast as the 1Dx III and it won't track fast, erratically moving subjects as well as the 1Dx III. It will offer something to attract 5D IV and R owners, as well as competing with the Nikon Z7, Nikon D850 and to some extent the Sony A7R IV.

R6 will be aimed at video on a budget (compared to cinema cameras, etc), eg for vloggers. It will definitely have a tilt/flip screen, and even though it won't boast 8K in its specs, it will have better video capabilities somehow than the R5 (eg DPAF even in 4K - although perhaps not 4K60 since I don't think the 1Dx III will have that?), perhaps better codecs, perhaps better ability to connect to external recorders. So far as stills go, it will be very similar to the R5 (eg same FPS limitations as the R5) but with the much lower resolution. The lower res sensor will be marketed as better for low light - but the extent to which it really is better will have to tested in due course. It will sit a bit below the R5 in price, but if Canon goes high with the video capabilities, and includes things like 2 card slots, I think it will be aimed more at the Sony A7S line (or perhaps just be a new line of its own), rather than a camera meant to sit at the 6D level.

So, if R5 and R6 are along the lines of my speculation, there is room at the top for both a seriously high res camera (R3, R5s, whatever) and a 1-series R camera in due course. There may also be room for a 6D level camera below the R6 in due course, say a year or so after the R5 and R6 (similar to how 6D cameras have followed 5D cameras), with resolution between the R6 and R5 but more limited video capabilities than the R6, and perhaps different ergonomics and a single card slot. For the time being though, if you want an R series camera but you don't want to pay for an R5 or R6, your option at about the 6D level will be the current EOS R (which will drop to around 6D II price). Oh, and I think the RP line will continue separately, with the focus being very much on small size - a bit like the 100D/200D line of DSLR cameras.

The other option is the R6 is basically just an R5 with a lower resolution sensor (a bit like what I understand Nikon has done with the Z6 and Z7). That could mean it is meant to be the 6D equivalent in the mirrorless line ... but to me 20 MP seems too low for that, especially when the Nikon Z6 and most recent Sony A7 series camera have 24 MP, I believe, and the 6D II has 26 MP and the 5D IV and R have 30 MP. Yes the R6 would still bring some things to the table, and yes a few MP doesn't really make that much practical difference most of the time, but from a marketing perspective I would have thought they would go higher with the MP. I guess one possible answer might be thatCanon wants to put one of its latest generation sensors in there without having to develop a new one so it has simply re-used the 1Dx III sensor ... so they could do that, perhaps give the R6 one card slot, etc, and place the R6 as the 6D level camera despite it being 20 MP. But, well, I still think 20 MP is too low for that, unless perhaps the R6 is quite a bit cheaper than I expect it to be.

OK, that's my 2 cents :) Will be interesting to see what Canon gives us!!

Upvote 0

hamish

Canon 7D II
CR Pro
Apr 15, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
I find it strange that in all of the discussion about R1, R5S, R5, R6, R, RP, R7, etc, not one person has mentioned that the Ra is an actual camera that you can buy today.

If the R6 specs are to be believed, wouldn't it be a great replacement for everyone who has the Pana GH5? They're video focussed, 20MP, and getting a bit long in the tooth now. Given a few worthwhile upgrades over the GH5, Canon could sell the R6 to YouTubers/vloggers/etc by the pallet load.

And given that the R6 will have IBIS, couldn't Canon enable a high-res pixel shift mode? So for tripod use e.g. landscapes, you'd get much higher resolution than just the 20MP. Nice selling point against the Oly EM1 II, A7R3, Pana G9, etc.

Also a question out of left field: would it be possible for Canon to produce a line (or lines) of cameras with the same bodies and internals and use features in firmware to differentiate them? That would enable large economies of scale for Canon. If a user wanted to upgrade, they could pay for the next level firmware. So if I paid for the R7, but wanted to get the video features of the R6 or R5, I'd upgrade it's firmware and it would be "unlocked". Or maybe pay for an upgrade to unlock some more fps? Or a higher resolution EVF? Probably an idea that has been explored and debunked already, but with MILCs this may be much more doable now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Also a question out of left field: would it be possible for Canon to produce a line (or lines) of cameras with the same bodies and internals and use features in firmware to differentiate them? That would enable large economies of scale for Canon. If a user wanted to upgrade, they could pay for the next level firmware. So if I paid for the R7, but wanted to get the video features of the R6 or R5, I'd upgrade it's firmware and it would be "unlocked". Or maybe pay for an upgrade to unlock some more fps? Or a higher resolution EVF? Probably an idea that has been explored and debunked already, but with MILCs this may be much more doable now.

We'd never, ever, EVER hear the end of "cripple hammer" puling if Canon did this.

Also, it could be hacked, and Canon would be out huge money, since self-righteous people thinking Canon has no right to "cripple" their cameras would just get them hacked.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Obviously the R6 name suggests a 6D level camera, but at the same time the specs don't yell 6D to me.

My speculation is:

R5 will be the 5D level mirrorless camera. I'm a little surprised it will jump all the way to 45 MP, but if it has a C-RAW mode at about 30 MP that should satisfy anyone who doesn't want larger files. I think (similar to what others have said), there will be caveats to a number of the specs we have seen, eg 12 FPS mechanical shutter / 20 FPS electronic shutter will have focus and quite probably exposure locked at the first frame. Wiith AF and AE, I reckon the FPS will drop to something around the 7 FPS which the 5D IV does now (which will be a step up the 4.3 FPS the 5D IV does in live view, even before accounting for the increased resolution), maybe closer to 10 FPS if we are lucky. I don't do video so I am not across details but my guess is it will do very good video but there will be compromises there somewhere, eg 8K will be timelapse, 4K120 will be for a short burst only, and there may be limitations even on the other 4K modes (eg no DPAF - that might be trade off against having full frame 4K on a 45 MP sensor). It will probably have a tilt/flip screen (although maybe not) and will be an excellent allrounder, with plenty of resolution, but it won't be anything like as fast as the 1Dx III and it won't track fast, erratically moving subjects as well as the 1Dx III. It will offer something to attract 5D IV and R owners, as well as competing with the Nikon Z7, Nikon D850 and to some extent the Sony A7R IV.

R6 will be aimed at video on a budget (compared to cinema cameras, etc), eg for vloggers. It will definitely have a tilt/flip screen, and even though it won't boast 8K in its specs, it will have better video capabilities somehow than the R5 (eg DPAF even in 4K - although perhaps not 4K60 since I don't think the 1Dx III will have that?), perhaps better codecs, perhaps better ability to connect to external recorders. So far as stills go, it will be very similar to the R5 (eg same FPS limitations as the R5) but with the much lower resolution. The lower res sensor will be marketed as better for low light - but the extent to which it really is better will have to tested in due course. It will sit a bit below the R5 in price, but if Canon goes high with the video capabilities, and includes things like 2 card slots, I think it will be aimed more at the Sony A7S line (or perhaps just be a new line of its own), rather than a camera meant to sit at the 6D level.

So, if R5 and R6 are along the lines of my speculation, there is room at the top for both a seriously high res camera (R3, R5s, whatever) and a 1-series R camera in due course. There may also be room for a 6D level camera below the R6 in due course, say a year or so after the R5 and R6 (similar to how 6D cameras have followed 5D cameras), with resolution between the R6 and R5 but more limited video capabilities than the R6, and perhaps different ergonomics and a single card slot. For the time being though, if you want an R series camera but you don't want to pay for an R5 or R6, your option at about the 6D level will be the current EOS R (which will drop to around 6D II price). Oh, and I think the RP line will continue separately, with the focus being very much on small size - a bit like the 100D/200D line of DSLR cameras.

The other option is the R6 is basically just an R5 with a lower resolution sensor (a bit like what I understand Nikon has done with the Z6 and Z7). That could mean it is meant to be the 6D equivalent in the mirrorless line ... but to me 20 MP seems too low for that, especially when the Nikon Z6 and most recent Sony A7 series camera have 24 MP, I believe, and the 6D II has 26 MP and the 5D IV and R have 30 MP. Yes the R6 would still bring some things to the table, and yes a few MP doesn't really make that much practical difference most of the time, but from a marketing perspective I would have thought they would go higher with the MP. I guess one possible answer might be thatCanon wants to put one of its latest generation sensors in there without having to develop a new one so it has simply re-used the 1Dx III sensor ... so they could do that, perhaps give the R6 one card slot, etc, and place the R6 as the 6D level camera despite it being 20 MP. But, well, I still think 20 MP is too low for that, unless perhaps the R6 is quite a bit cheaper than I expect it to be.

OK, that's my 2 cents :) Will be interesting to see what Canon gives us!!

None of the .cr3 cameras have a reduced resolution raw mode. C-RAW is full resolution but uses slightly lossy compression to reduce file size (like options Nikon and Sony have been offering for a while). If they offer a reduced resolution raw output for the R5, it will be the first of the .cr3 cameras to have any such thing.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
None of the .cr3 cameras have a reduced resolution raw mode. C-RAW is full resolution but uses slightly lossy compression to reduce file size (like options Nikon and Sony have been offering for a while). If they offer a reduced resolution raw output for the R5, it will be the first of the .cr3 cameras to have any such thing.
Ah OK, well, either (A) I didn't appreciate C-RAW was necessarily full resolution and what I wrote about that didn't make a lot of sense, or (B) I meant Canon should introduce a reduced resolution C-RAW in the R5 (even though if they were going to introduce a reduced resolution mode you would think being able to save it the full RAW file would make more sense!). Hhhmmm, I think I'll say I meant (B) ... and you're all going to believe me, right? :)

Upvote 0

hamish

Canon 7D II
CR Pro
Apr 15, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
We'd never, ever, EVER hear the end of "cripple hammer" puling if Canon did this.

Also, it could be hacked, and Canon would be out huge money, since self-righteous people thinking Canon has no right to "cripple" their cameras would just get them hacked.

While I agree that there'd be a small subset of people who'd be "outraged" and would attempt to hack their cameras to unlock all of the features, I'd point to the number of people who have - or rather haven't - downloaded and installed Magic Lantern. If it's not particularly easy and results in a voided warranty, I think that the vast majority of people would pay for the upgrades, and that would be enough to make it worthwhile. Especially if Canon made it really easy e.g. connect the camera directly to WiFi, and pay for and install the upgrades directly. Think as easy as installing a new app on Android/iOS, and people would do it. A kind of Canon app store. This is the reason Netflix exists, they made it easy enough for people to get content, and so torrenting is much less prevalent now than a few years ago (stats from Aus backs this up, we used to be the worst!).

You could also do smart things like time based upgrades. Want to unlock an extra 5 fps but only need it for a week, well only pay $3.99 for that. Want it forever, then pay $129.99.

MILCs make this possible. We see it now with new firmwares providing new features, I'd like to see it applied across familes of cameras. It seems kind of inevitable to me and I wonder who is going to do it first?

If they really wanted to go full on, they could make it so you could upgrade the hardware too. Want to upgrade from DIGIC 8 to X (and yes before you all go "that's not possible!", I know with current cameras it would require underlying hardware architecture changes to support this, I'm using this as an example to illustrate a point)? Take it to the support centre, send it off, get it back a few days/weeks later and hey presto, new processor! Want a bigger buffer, get a memory upgrade. And so on.

Canon could also laud their green credentials too, as your camera could effectively "grow" with you as your photography skills, and needs, develop. You no longer have to upgrade bodies. There's little to no e-waste being produced, and it makes the camera useful for a bunch more years. There'd be far less packaging trash, as you simply upgrade the feature set of the camera and you're good to go. I can genuinely see this happening at some stage, and reasonably soon too.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
MILCs make this possible. We see it now with new firmwares providing new features, I'd like to see it applied across familes of cameras. It seems kind of inevitable to me and I wonder who is going to do it first?
I could see whoever doing this shooting themselves in the foot.

With how saturated the market is, there is only so much hassle people are willing to go through in order to upgrade. Most get what they need out of their current bodies.

The prospect of using an adapter or a different kind of viewfinder, or purchasing new lenses in order to take full advantage of your body is already enough to put off people from the RF system.

If you are now also forced to have Canon account with an associated payment method just in order to use any but the most basic configuration of your hardware, that adds another layer of annoyance to changing gear. And how else would you handle your proposed product? If you create multiple SKUs for the different configurations, that seems to add more overhead to sales then it may be worth.

It may make sense from a business point of view in terms of the cost. But if it were a solution that could easily be deployed, wouldn't there be examples of this in other markets? Especially the saturation is what hurts such an approach for many parts of the Canon lineup I think.

Upvote 0