Round-up: All of the rumored Canon gear to appear over the last week

What do you mean less dilation? Models sure love it when you shine those LED lights directly into their eyes.

Not sure if models love it or hate it, but dilation means pupils are open, normally it happens in low light, abnormally - under drugs. I suspect navastronia wasn't referring to any drugs though, but the fact that pupils shrink under the constant LED light.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Not sure if models love it or hate it, but dilation means pupils are open, normally it happens in low light, abnormally - under drugs. I suspect navastronia wasn't referring to any drugs though, but the fact that pupils shrink under the constant LED light.

Yeah, I took it to mean, with a flash your eyes are adapted to the lower light, so when the flash hits and the picture is taken, your pupils don't have time to react and so are larger (dilated) in the image, whereas with constant lighting they'd be more constricted, as you say. I'm not sure which people generally prefer in images.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2015

And why would closed pupils and squinting be preferred?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
And why would closed pupils and squinting be preferred?
I dunno. Maybe that way people look smarter as if they were thinking about some complex issues, like future Canon releases.

In practice dilated pupils hide eye colour and also cause red eye effect, although the latter shouldn't be a problem with a proper light setup.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Yeah, I took it to mean, with a flash your eyes are adapted to the lower light, so when the flash hits and the picture is taken, your pupils don't have time to react and so are larger (dilated) in the image, whereas with constant lighting they'd be more constricted, as you say. I'm not sure which people generally prefer in images.

AFAIK, people prefer dilated pupils, same as they prefer catch light in the eyes. It is sufficiently well known for one of my photography teachers to warn us that pre-flash for focusing might cause pupils to close down, and describe some techniques he used in film days to make pupils appear larger and add catch lights.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Though Sony does it with converters half the size - so right now they are actually probably the best (putting aside all the usual Sony quality control and build quality questions). Indeed actually if you take size into consideration, Sony has the best teleconverters bar none. If you haven't held them in your hand do so if you get a chance, you'll be shocked - their 1.4x feels not much bigger than lens cap when on the camera. It makes them nice to handle too, avoiding putting the centre of gravity even further forward with long lenses.

See how the Sony 2x is comparable in size to the canon 1.4x. I really think Canon will bring out some amazing RF teleconverters. It does appear to be an area, like wide angle lenses, where mirrorless designs pay dividends.

Take the rear caps off and most of the difference goes up in smoke, especially if you look at the furthest forward extension.

Upvote 0
People need to accept the
As a professional landscape photographer I've been waiting for over 2 years through hundreds of rumours of the upcoming Canon High Megapixel Camera:
CANON-RS
touted to be 75 to 100 Megapixels

This would be a huge benefit for me as I print 40x60 inches and larger

If Canon doesn't announce a high megapixel camera body in February 2020 I will be reluctantly jumping ship to Sony and buying the A7r4 or the rumoured Nikon D900 (with the Sony 64 Megapixel Sensor) or even possibly the upcoming 100 megapixel Fuji GFX Lite Body

I would much rather stick with Canon

I love their hardware and have been a Canon Aficionado since 1980 when I got my Canon A1 film camera.

The new RF lenses look simply amazing and will only continue to expand their offerings

I think Sony can be consistently relied upon to upgrade their camera bodies every 24 months and they have more resources in their sensor fabrication and electronics to stay on the cutting edge

I don't give a Rat's Ass about video although and 8K time lapse function would be great.
A 45 megapixel catch-all generalist body is not what I'm looking for.

However painful selling off my Canon 5D4 / 5DSr and 6 L series lenses is : I am almost ready.

PLEASE Canon if you're listening give the studio and landscape photographers a reason to stay.
As a professional landscape photographer I've been waiting for over 2 years through hundreds of rumours of the upcoming Canon High Megapixel Camera:
CANON-RS
touted to be 75 to 100 Megapixels

This would be a huge benefit for me as I print 40x60 inches and larger

If Canon doesn't announce a high megapixel camera body in February 2020 I will be reluctantly jumping ship to Sony and buying the A7r4 or the rumoured Nikon D900 (with the Sony 64 Megapixel Sensor) or even possibly the upcoming 100 megapixel Fuji GFX Lite Body

I would much rather stick with Canon

I love their hardware and have been a Canon Aficionado since 1980 when I got my Canon A1 film camera.

The new RF lenses look simply amazing and will only continue to expand their offerings

I think Sony can be consistently relied upon to upgrade their camera bodies every 24 months and they have more resources in their sensor fabrication and electronics to stay on the cutting edge

I don't give a Rat's Ass about video although and 8K time lapse function would be great.
A 45 megapixel catch-all generalist body is not what I'm looking for.

However painful selling off my Canon 5D4 / 5DSr and 6 L series lenses is : I am almost ready.

PLEASE Canon if you're listening give the studio and landscape photographers a reason to stay.

Nice one you joined yesterday! LOL

The standard Canon 5 series has always been a jack of all trades....why would it suddenly become a ultra high MP camera?

Canon will release a Canon 5Rs soon enough, hold your horses. The landscapes are not going anywhere!

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I don't mean any offense, but this is purely your opinion, unless you have any numbers to back it up.

Only in the last 10 years, with the invention of powerful and portable LED arrays, has constant lighting become truly viable for photographers --- but make no mistake, constant lighting can absolutely replace flash when you're photographing human subjects, as long as you invest in good panels. There are also marked advantages to using constant lighting, including WYSIWYG exposure (which saves time when you're setting up your shots) and less pupil dilation in your models' eyes.

Have you ever actually used studio strobes? You know, those with adjustable modeling lights? If you want your models pupils closed down, you can do that. If you want them larger, you can do that, too. Like I said way above, they're more flexible than constant lighting.

You can also get fuller spectrum and more color consistency at a far lower cost than with LEDs.

Look at most high end fashion magazine work and tell me whether larger or smaller pupils are generally preferred by those who pay for those images.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
There are also marked advantages to using constant lighting, including WYSIWYG exposure (which saves time when you're setting up your shots) and less pupil dilation in your models' eyes.

As I've said before, WYSIWYG is the equivalent of training wheels for those who don't understand light and how a camera sees it.

Beyond that, with proportional modeling lights on studio strobes, you get the same thing without blinding your model at full power for the entire session. You can also avoid the disadvantages of constant lighting. You can turn the modeling lights off once you're through adjusting power ratios.

Upvote 0
Independent reviewers all agree that canon fell behind

here are some examples
mirrorless
Processing speed
Ibis

Canon makes the best lenses but they fell behind on bodies and are now responding nicely this year

I disagree with these statements. There really isn't anything to substantiate that Canon "has been behind tech wise." There are differences between manufacturers, but Canon is not "behind" in any significant way.

People keep saying the R was rushed or somehow incomplete. But, that assessment usually comes from people who don't use the camera.

In order to keep Canon customers within the fold, there would have to be some indication that customers are "on the fence." Looking at the sales figures that are available, it doesn't appear that Canon has been having any problem with customers moving to another brand.

Canon has acknowledged that their entrance into the mirrorless market was late, but a late entrance does not equate with an inferior entrance. Canon has some catching up to do to solidify its market share, but that will be accomplished with a broader range of products and aggressive marketing.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
As I've said before, WYSIWYG is the equivalent of training wheels for those who don't understand light and how a camera sees it.

Got it. It sounds like you’re just philosophically opposed to WYSIWYG. Which is fine, I guess, but I think it’s more useful to be less ideologically minded about photography. If it helps me get the image, I’ll use it.

Upvote 0
R5 specs are a Canon fanboy fantasy and not going to happen. R6 sounds believable but I’m sure Canon will find a way to cripple it as they always do and it’s going to cost at least $3k. Canon needs more affordable RF lenses and like now, not next year after a ton more people have already moved on to systems that don’t charge $2200 for lenses.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Got it. It sounds like you’re just philosophically opposed to WYSIWYG. Which is fine, I guess, but I think it’s more useful to be less ideologically minded about photography. If it helps me get the image, I’ll use it.

It's not that I'm opposed to it, it's great for casual shooters. Just like scene modes are.

I do think it is waaaay overrated by the camera spec wars crowd who've never sold an image to a commercial customer in their life when talking about "pro" level cameras. How many "Scene" modes do the Canon 1-Series and Nikon D5/D4/D3/... series have? There are some things the real pros don't need.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It's not that I'm opposed to it, it's great for casual shooters. Just like scene modes are.

I do think it is waaaay overrated by the camera spec wars crowd who've never sold an image to a commercial customer in their life when talking about "pro" level cameras. How many "Scene" modes do the Canon 1-Series and Nikon D5/D4/D3/... series have? There are some things the real pros don't need.
Well the only useful about scene modes is that by setting the camera to neutral we have a more realistic histogram view and an EVF with less contrast.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Well the only useful about scene modes is that by setting the camera to neutral we have a more realistic histogram view and an EVF with less contrast.

"Neutral" is a 'Picture Style'. Nikon calls it 'Picture Control'.

Scene modes are automatic modes labeled for things like "Beach" and "Kids" and "Night Portrait" and 'Fireworks".

Two totally different things.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
"Neutral" is a 'Picture Style'. Nikon calls it 'Picture Control'.

Scene modes are automatic modes labeled for things like "Beach" and "Kids" and "Night Portrait" and 'Fireworks".

Two totally different things.
OK!!! I haven't used them and I had forgotten about them. Now I remembered they existed on some compact cameras...

Upvote 0