A high-megapixel EOS R camera is still on the roadmap [CR2]

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Ugh starting to think I need to reset some expectations here so that I don't get disappointed. Like you, when I first read these specs I though "total bullcrap—no way"

...because fine print is never on a rumored spec list.

Never seen on any SLR rumored spec sheet:

"Spot metering at any AF point is still just for the 1-series, because Canon still hates you. Cheapskates."

- A

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I doubt we see a high MP camera this year and the R5 specs are wrong. Unless of course you believe Canon is just going to change decades long behavior and throw all kinds of high end specs into their cameras. Yea, not happening.
Going from manual to auto focus was changing decades of behavior.
Going from film to digital was changing decades of behavior.
Adding video to DSLR's was changing decades of behavior.
Adding a mirrorless camera line in FF was changing decades of behavior.
DPAF was changing decades of behavior.
Changing from EF to RF mount was changing decades of behavior.

Canon is never the leader. Canon always follows. Canon doesn't innovate. Canon never adjusts to the market. Canon is doomed. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
M6II scaled up is barely 82MP
About right for the hi-res full frame - with DPAF (164 sub pixels). They can do it all right - esp with their new smaller sensor fab pitch. Stacked / BSI patents they have shown up also. Those 250MP FF & 120MP APS-H sensors have been around since the birth of DPAF on the 60D. It does look like there will be a bunch of new sensors - esp given the amazing read speeds from the new 1Dx III.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2014
I'm still curious how the naming will work. I thought the R5 / R6 products' names being confirmed meant that:

1DX --> R1
5DS --> R2, R3, R4 or R5S
5D --> R5
R --> :poop: (RIP)​
6D --> R6
RP --> :poop: (RIP)​
7D --> R7 (might never happen, but at least it has a name collared for future assignment)

But CR Guy has implied that R6 isn't corresponding to the 6D slot -- it is likely more of an A7S sort of competitor. So I'm as interested as anyone on the hierarchy/nomenclature/pricing/positioning for all these new FF bodies.

- A
So now maybe those who need the high MP can stop complaining on the R5! :) Good that Canon looks to everyone and tries to make cameras that benefit everyone.

My bet would be around 70mp but they could use the 83MP sensor that we´ve heard. For me....too much, but it´s a great number to who need resolution!

From the naming...Your "table" kinda makes sense, but im not sure Canon will follow that...I do Believe the R1 is saved to the sports type EOS R (the 1dxIII mirrorless)...and...I could see the R5 as a new mirrorless 5dmkV...Besides that....To the 6D line Canon alredy have the EOS R and I dont believe they will make another camera for now. We could see in 1 or 2 years the EOS R mkII.

I believe R6 is a new kind of Camera to Canon, directed to video and with great High sensitivity. Like A7S or something. Or....It could be a less MP and more cheap version of the EOS R but....where it fits between the R and RP? I think we all agree that this new R6 camera is making us scratch our heads! :D

For me I don´t personally believe Canon will do a APS-C mirrorless camera. Why? It just doesn´t make sense! The EOS R5 i am sure it will have something like the A7r3 and you can toggle between FF and APS-C. So Why make a camera with an APS-C sensor only?

We need more info on the R6 to discover a bit more about this camera! And let´s wait for more news about the HIGH MP camera. For me....I am only looking for the EOS R5! Can´t wait!!!! :D :D

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I do rant about FPS, but more from a positioning standpoint. I have long thought the 5D throughput versus other bodies in unexplainable other than via nerf hammer reasons)
I remember seeing somewhere that the 5DIV (and maybe the 5DS ) mirror assembly traded off cycling speed to get better vibration dampening and less noise.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
5Ds does not have IBIS
I'm sure IBIS will be a usefull to have feature, but not having it is not exactly the end of the world.
Current meaning not that old as that camera. i have the camera. the shake is more noticable when you zoom in than my other cameras I own. only when you zoom alll the waaayyy innn.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I believe R6 is a new kind of Camera to Canon, directed to video and with great High sensitivity. Like A7S or something. Or....It could be a less MP and more cheap version of the EOS R but....where it fits between the R and RP? I think we all agree that this new R6 camera is making us scratch our heads! :D

All they had to do was make it 26 MP and everyone would immediately know what it is -- a mirrorless 6D3 (which is what I think it is anyway).

By not doing this, it could be misread as a mirrorless 1DX3-lite.

But it might be neither.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
For me I don´t personally believe Canon will do a APS-C mirrorless camera. Why? It just doesn´t make sense! The EOS R5 i am sure it will have something like the A7r3 and you can toggle between FF and APS-C. So Why make a camera with an APS-C sensor only?

Because 7D users don't want a tiny EF-M body.

Because 7D and 90D users don't want to pony up for a much more expensive FF shutter and sensor only to use the middle of it.

Because Canon might want one mount to rule them all -- have Rebels join RF as well. (This path would mandate inexpensive crop image circle RF-S lenses, though, so it's a bit out there.)

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
  1. EOS Rn - expensive models
  2. EOS RPn - budget FF models
Because... why not?

That works, other than the R and RP not having any numbers today. How does a future EOS R II and EOS R1 II coexist? That's confusing as hell. Olympus's naming always lost me like this.

R and RP coexisting with a shiny clean slate of R1 / R5 / R6 doesn't make much sense to me.

If you are going to go full Audi simple (letter + number), commit to it. Don't launch a great new system and start from a cluttered, inconsistent design nomenclature.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Going from manual to auto focus was changing decades of behavior.
Going from film to digital was changing decades of behavior.
Adding video to DSLR's was changing decades of behavior.
Adding a mirrorless camera line in FF was changing decades of behavior.
DPAF was changing decades of behavior.
Changing from EF to RF mount was changing decades of behavior.

Canon is never the leader. Canon always follows. Canon doesn't innovate. Canon never adjusts to the market. Canon is doomed. :rolleyes:

so you are saying Canon has not intentionally crippled their cameras for decades in order to protect other lines? You must be new to Canon. If you think that behavior is all the sudden going to stop and they are going to pack all the features from their $7k camera and $15k video line and put it into a $3500 camera , I have a bridge to sell you lol.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
so you are saying Canon has not intentionally crippled their cameras for decades in order to protect other lines? You must be new to Canon. If you think that behavior is all the sudden going to stop and they are going to pack all the features from their $7k camera and $15k video line and put it into a $3500 camera , I have a bridge to sell you lol.
If you think a $15k video camera would ever have the same feature set and market as a $3,500 camera then you already bought the bridge from somebody.

"Intentionally crippled" I get it now. Every camera at every price point should all have the same feature set, otherwise they are "intentionally crippled". I guess Canon is the only manufacturer to do this. Now you've bought two bridges. Care to buy more? o_O :poop:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
... why immediately snap to the presumed R1 / R5 / R6 familiar structure? Why go with familiar names that parallel existing FF lines if you plan to subdivide / redefine them in the new system?
The cynical answer: staying with the familiar structure will result in more sales simply because of that familiarity whether or not they are shifting the target markets.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
If you think a $15k video camera would ever have the same feature set and market as a $3,500 camera then you already bought the bridge from somebody.

"Intentionally crippled" I get it now. Every camera at every price point should all have the same feature set, otherwise they are "intentionally crippled". I guess Canon is the only manufacturer to do this. Now you've bought two bridges. Care to buy more? o_O :poop:

While a lot of the 'crippled' talk is people not understanding technology, there are bits where Canon did cut functionality just for the sake of segmentation. An obvious example is that the RP silent shutter mode doesn't allow you to set shutterspeed nor aperture, it's a 'scene mode'.
I'm not sure what to make of the M6II forcing a full mechanical or full electronic shutter, I would love to have EFCS as an option.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
This year's Bugatti only does 235 MPH. But I endure this hardship nonetheless.

Bugatti is doomed, because I never need to go anywhere CLOSE to 235mph. They're not going to sell any cars that way. I just need a nice solid commuter car that gets good gas mileage and does maybe 90mph. I'm buying my next car from Sony, and everyone else already is too!

Upvote 0
I know they have been doing well on the RF lenses but until I see it for myself and the reviews validate it, I simply do not care if Canon does a high res camera. I simply don't trust them. The 5DS has 50 megapixels and when it first came out people were excited. But the ISO on that camera is what, 6400? And you don't even want to go near that max for noise. To me they could do 70 megapixels they could do 80. Doesn't matter. The real question is how does the sensor handle noise? How is the dynamic range? Because megapixels alone as a criteria is absolutely foolish.

Upvote 0