A high-megapixel EOS R camera is still on the roadmap [CR2]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
About right for the hi-res full frame - with DPAF (164 sub pixels). They can do it all right - esp with their new smaller sensor fab pitch. Stacked / BSI patents they have shown up also. Those 250MP FF & 120MP APS-H sensors have been around since the birth of DPAF on the 60D. It does look like there will be a bunch of new sensors - esp given the amazing read speeds from the new 1Dx III.

I thought Dual pixel CMOS AF debuted on the 70D?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
If you think a $15k video camera would ever have the same feature set and market as a $3,500 camera then you already bought the bridge from somebody.

"Intentionally crippled" I get it now. Every camera at every price point should all have the same feature set, otherwise they are "intentionally crippled". I guess Canon is the only manufacturer to do this. Now you've bought two bridges. Care to buy more? o_O :poop:
I think the old saying, “You get what you pay for,” still holds true for most purchase decisions. Also, “There's no such thing as a free lunch.” But some people still believe they are entitled to a free lunch. Most of us know free lunch=crippled lunch.

Upvote 0
I think R5s makes more sense than R3. R3 implies it is somehow a better camera...

I think the entire numbering thing implies a ranking of cameras. I was really liking the R, Rp, Rs, Rx convention that was floating around. I wish it was going to be an R II instead of an R5. Or Rt even. They used to make an FTb........

I'll suppose I'll survive whatever naming they end up with.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The 1DX was the 5th in the 1D line, which didn't denote the 5th model but a new line within a line. Crazy! We need a white board and a bunch of dry erase markers to keep up!

1D X was the ninth digital 1-series body.

1D
1Ds
1D Mark II
1Ds Mark II
1D Mark IIn
1D Mark III
1Ds Mark III
1D Mark IV
1D X
1D X Mark II
(1D X Mark III)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Not sure what you mean by "junk ISO". The 5DS only has "native" ISO to 6400, but extends to 12800 and if you want 25600, simply turn the EV down one stop and the camera will happily oblige. If you are talking dynamic range, then note that from ISO 800 to ISO 12800, the 5DS, the 5D IV, the Nikon 850D, and the Sony A7R4 are all within a quarter stop and at ISO 6400, the 5DS is still the best. Look for yourself http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 5D Mark IV,Canon EOS 5DS,Nikon D850,Sony ILCE-7RM4

Don't confuse them with facts! There's no way the reason for their poor results is them choosing the wrong tool for a specific job and not the camera's fault!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I thought Dual pixel CMOS AF debuted on the 70D?
Yup. I can remember debating with myself as to what to get. At the time, the 60D looked like it was still a great camera to me. In the end, I went for the 70D due to dual pixel AF and the articulating screen because I was doing youtube videos at the time for my Google+ page. It was a nice camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
I personally don’t see the high res body happening any time soon and the info in this article is the usual carrot dangling nonsense that Is purely based on a hunch. If we are to believe the info fed to this site over the last twelve months about the high res R and Canon had a 100MP chip ready to go, I’m 100% sure we’d be seeing it this month along side the R5. But for whatever reason the high res sensor was either not up to scratch, too costly to make or the market conditions not right so Canon has shelved it for future development (2021-2022?). Maybe we won’t see it until the R1 is released and they resurrect the R1s designation.

Upvote 0
Going from manual to auto focus was changing decades of behavior.
Going from film to digital was changing decades of behavior.

Adding video to DSLR's was changing decades of behavior.
Adding a mirrorless camera line in FF was changing decades of behavior.
DPAF was changing decades of behavior.
Changing from EF to RF mount was changing decades of behavior.

Canon is never the leader. Canon always follows. Canon doesn't innovate. Canon never adjusts to the market. Canon is doomed. :rolleyes:

That's a bold statement so I highlighted in bold the points where Canon wasn't the leader and actually followed someone else's innovations or trends.
Adding video to a DSLR was something new, but DPAF is something very specific to Canon and it didn't change the 'decades of behaviour', and changing mounts isn't something Canon did first.

Your obviously sarcastic statement may in fact be (mostly) true. Only that I don't think Canon is really doomed.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Yup. I can remember debating with myself as to what to get. At the time, the 60D looked like it was still a great camera to me. In the end, I went for the 70D due to dual pixel AF and the articulating screen because I was doing youtube videos at the time for my Google+ page. It was a nice camera.
Ah the poor 60D, it was rough following the amazing for the time 50D. The 60 didn't do it justice as an upgrade.

Upvote 0
No, I'm arguing Canon jammed a sensor full of pixels full-well knowing it wouldn't be a star from a noise perspective. They sell other sensors for that need.

They felt the high detail camp (presumably studio and tripod landscape shooters) needed more resolution, so they gave it to them. That's all.
Tripod landscape shooters still want low noise and good dynamic range. The more pixels Canon puts into this beast, the more I worry about the noise and overall performance. Time will tell but the 45Mp one may happen to be a sweeter spot for landscapes, especially low light/astroscapes.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
That's a bold statement so I highlighted in bold the points where Canon wasn't the leader and actually followed someone else's innovations or trends.
Adding video to a DSLR was something new, but DPAF is something very specific to Canon and it didn't change the 'decades of behaviour', and changing mounts isn't something Canon did first.

Your obviously sarcastic statement may in fact be (mostly) true. Only that I don't think Canon is really doomed.
I never said Canon was the leader with those things. The conversation has to do with Canon not changing things after doing them for a long period of time.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I know they have been doing well on the RF lenses but until I see it for myself and the reviews validate it, I simply do not care if Canon does a high res camera. I simply don't trust them. The 5DS has 50 megapixels and when it first came out people were excited. But the ISO on that camera is what, 6400? And you don't even want to go near that max for noise.

This was a myth pushed by people going cross eyed staring at 100% and 200% magnifications in Photoshop. And comparing them to lower resolution files which are naturally magnified less at 100%. At the same view size 5Ds noise is comparable to other FF cameras from 2015, but it's a heck of a lot sharper and more detailed. Even 5 years later it still has good high ISO.

Better reviewers made note of this at the time, that the 5Ds lost nothing at high ISO compared to a 5D3. Imaging Resource had probably the best assessment because they actually print files as part of their testing, and they noted their surprise at just how good the high ISO prints were.

I have ISO 3200 files from my 5Ds that I would not hesitate to print 24x36". They are tack sharp and full of detail across the tonal range with only a bit of noise in deep shadows. By 12,800 you may only be looking at an 11x14, but that's true of just about every 35mm sensor out there.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0