Here is the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Macro

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Good eye! Macro mag not listed, but 0.2m MFD would be a dramatic upgrade over other 24-105s. The RF and EF L 24-105s have a MFD of 0.45m.

Very good news for 24-105 fans. Possibly bad news if you love your EF 24-70 f/4L IS and its 0.7x max mag (like I do), as putting this feature into the non-L 24-105 might mean an RF 24-70 f/4L may not be coming.

- A

So entry level buyers even know what macro
means?

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
There's also a significant market of people who can easily afford the more expensive lenses, but buy the 'entry level' ones because they are small and light. I could buy all of the exotic new RF L lenses tomorrow and not notice the difference in my bank account, but my back would feel it when I'm hiking, and international travel with hand-luggage only would be completely impossible. I've picked up an RP and 24-240 as a compact travel kit to dip my toes in the water and am hoping at some point a 50/1.4 comes along that has good rendering and is no bigger than the old 50/1.4 USM. If some RF lenses come along that equal the EF 16-35/4 and 70-300L in optical performance but are noticeably more compact or lighter I'll probably pick those up, but I have no use for anything bigger than my existing lenses.

I totally agree. I may keep the RP after getting an R5 just for lightweight day to day shooting, always on the kitchen counter to grab with a light RF 35mm.

Still waiting to love the 24-240.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I totally agree. I may keep the RP after getting an R5 just for lightweight day to day shooting, always on the kitchen counter to grab with a light RF 35mm.

Still waiting to love the 24-240.
That 24-240 love won’t come. However this one here is mighty tempting.

Much smaller and lighter than 24-105/4 and is a perfect travel companion to your RP.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Just make a sticker that puts "AF" over the "control", and "MF" over focus. Fixed!

Are you really a consumer of entry level consumer lenses when the same zoom range is available in a similar aperture in an L lens for $700 open box? Often, enthusiasts and pros "don't like" the design shoices that are ideally made for entry-level consumers.
Capture 24-240.PNG
Its a stupid complicated simplification of system that didn't need fixing.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Actually it makes a better sense in RF world where you can have a Control option not just AF/MF. In EF world this wouldn’t be needed though
Still users need to dive into menu system to set options for that switch and as some one pointed out its apparently for better usability of beginers. Dont see how beginers who rarely change default settings or dive into manuals are going wrap their heads around this.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Still users need to dive into menu system to set options for that switch and as some one pointed out its apparently for better usability of beginers. Dont see how beginers who rarely change default settings or dive into manuals are going wrap their heads around this.
Yeah, lest we forget that Canon is now engaging themselves in a specs sheet wars with S. ;)
They are going to smash it at the R5 R6 features announcement. Bloggers are going to have a feast from that very moment and for months to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Beginners just won't use that ring.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I am also curious about the focus/control switch and if it uses the control ring.

But my curiosity is more about the fact that the control rings I have used so far click and aren't decidable. Think it would be annoying and not exactly precise to have a clickable focus ring.

The RF24-240 uses the same system, so you could give that a try in a shop that has it in stock.

Upvote 0
The RF24-240 uses the same system, so you could give that a try in a shop that has it in stock.

Well I am just curious. Not curious enough to go and test it since I will likely never own this lens nor the 24-240, so I can wait to read from someone with some experience with it. I currently have the RF24-105 L f4 (so no stm for me), and will buy the RF 70-200 f2.8 sooner or later. If I didn't have the 24-105 f4, then maybe one of the other two would be in consideration.

Upvote 0

trulandphoto

Upstate NY photographer and retired atorney
CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
trulandphotography.com
The other thing worth pointing out. Just because the control ring is set to ISO, doesn’t mean that’s the only way to set ISO. The RP still has the M-Fn button next to the shutter that allows you to change what the dials control on the fly. And it can all be seen within the EVF.

For reprogramming buttons on the RP, I've chosen depth of field preview for the multi function button, centering the focus point for the movie button and ISO with turning the wheel for the * button. AE lock when holding the shutter half way takes care of that function.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020

As a beginner, that ring is what made me want to understand ISO better and when to adjust it. Now I actually use it. The EVF lets me see exactly what’s changing, which is great as a beginner. Prior to the new year, when we purchased the RP system, I never took the ISO off Auto on my old Rebel.

Beginners who buy this system may be rather novice, but they are people who want to learn more and improve their photography.

What I don’t do a lot of is manual focus. I’ve tried, but with the new touch drag auto focus, I don’t trust my eyes as much as this cameras. I used it more on the Rebel if there were foreground objects with my subject standing back. Now I just move my focus point to my subjects face, back button focus, and shoot. My miss rate has gone way down.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Interesting. But I guess this means that these lenses do not have full-time manual focus override when using AF, correct? If this switch is set to Focus, does that turn off AF? Or is there a way to have autofocus enabled, and still set this to Focus to have manual override while using autofocus?

Ask canon, I have never seen or used the lens. Just looked at the switches. Who knows, the control ring can be anything the camera wants it to be and that might be a menu item in the camera.
Thus the brilliance of the Canon RF system and flexibility through software vs hardware.
And if that option is not there then Canon obviously does what CR readers say so they will add that option. :LOL: :LOL:

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
That 24-240 love won’t come. However this one here is mighty tempting.

Much smaller and lighter than 24-105/4 and is a perfect travel companion to your RP.

Upvote 0