The CFexpress card reader included with the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III may be delayed due to the coronavirus outbreak

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Not too worried if the reader doesn't ship with my 1DX III because I have grown used to using the ethernet ports in my 1DX and 1DX II to avoid dealing with fragile CF card pin connectors...

So...I've had, over the past 15 years, at least 50 CF cards. I changed them out, all together, estimating, 15,000 to 20,000 times in five different bodies. I've belonged ten years to a camera club with 20 other members who have had cameras using CF cards for as long as I have...None of them ever mentioned a bent pin.

Hmmm...

How did WE get so lucky?

Sometimes I wonder if people get confused between problems they read about and problems they have actually had.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
So...I've had, over the past 15 years, at least 50 CF cards. I changed them out, all together, estimating, 15,000 to 20,000 times in five different bodies. I've belonged ten years to a camera club with 20 other members who have had cameras using CF cards for as long as I have...None of them ever mentioned a bent pin.

Hmmm...

How did WE get so lucky?

Sometimes I wonder if people get confused between problems they read about and problems they have actually had.

Was just commenting same.

Rough estimate, I have maybe 400k clicks on my bodies past ~8 years. I always take cards out and use reader on PC. Not too often but sometimes I even have to hussle-swap cards during event. Tough to estimate how many times I've inserted CF cards, but I've never had any bent pins problems.

I have no clue where/who has those bent pins problems.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Not too worried if the reader doesn't ship with my 1DX III because I have grown used to using the ethernet ports in my 1DX and 1DX II to avoid dealing with fragile CF card pin connectors. Speed, especially with the faster gigabit LAN port on the 1DX II, is fine connected to the gigabit LAN port in my HP Z820 workstation.

After shooting a sports event, I can relax with a drink while watching the preview as the images transfer before starting editing :)

At least the CFexpress card avoids the potential bent pin issue with a robust mechanical interface and no fragile pins. I am started to get excited about the new body as the release date approaches and with the even better higher ISO performance than the 1DX II, I hope that the 200-400 F4 1.4X will be very viable for HS football even on lesser illuminated fields.

On most of the (better) high school football fields I shoot, f/4 requires ISO 6400 to get to 1/1000.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Was just commenting same.

Rough estimate, I have maybe 400k clicks on my bodies past ~8 years. I always take cards out and use reader on PC. Not too often but sometimes I even have to hussle-swap cards during event. Tough to estimate how many times I've inserted CF cards, but I've never had any bent pins problems.

Not you but there is such an issue. Your personal experience may wary.

here you are, sir:

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

Hmmm...

How did WE get so lucky?

I’ve bent a pin in a CF camera, it was an old Canon P&S so not the build quality of a 1 series. Actually the pin snapped off but the camera and cards still worked fine in it and I never lost an image even though for most of the life of that camera it had a pin missing.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011

Hmmm...

How did WE get so lucky?
People don't always mention what they've had.

I had a card destroyed by a reader with a bent pin.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

Hmmm...

How did WE get so lucky?

Exactly! I have used CF cards with Canon 40D, 5DMkII, 5DMkIII, 5DMkIV, 7DMkII, 5DsR. Not a single issue.
Only an AKASA card reader exhibited this problem. I bought a LEXAR card reader that workds fast and fine.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Not you but there is such an issue. Your personal experience may wary.

here you are, sir:

hello, I read that article and the fault is obviously with the students.They managed to destroy the usb ports of the cameras when asked to use usb cables to transfer the photos instead of CF cards!

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Exactly! I have used CF cards with Canon 40D, 5DMkII, 5DMkIII, 5DMkIV, 7DMkII, 5DsR. Not a single issue.
Only an AKASA card reader exhibited this problem. I bought a LEXAR card reader that workds fast and fine.
We might be discussing the extremely reliable versus FOOL proof.

Here's my analogy of the day: Decades ago while eating a Caesar salad I bit my fork and chipped my tooth. Now I have fear of forks (and don't get me started on the horrors of Caesar dressing and e. coli in lettuce), and I warn my friends to stay away from them. And I'm waiting for a better technology!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

RBS

Feb 6, 2020
Wow has this thread taken an EXTREMELY goofy turn. My initial post was to suggest an alternative to a card reader if the poster's 1DX III (and mine) are shipped next week without the promised bundled CF Express card reader. For years, I have used the RJ-45 ethernet port built into my EOS 1DX series bodies for fast file transfer and it is a very simple file transfer alternative to removing cards with these bodies.

Are CF cards fatally flawed? Of course not but bent pins certainly can be an issue with this type of connector as a most simple search will reveal: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=cf+card+pin+problem

I often shoot several thousand images a week for sports events and using the simple and robust RJ-45 ethernet port built into the 1DX series bodies drops the risk of damaging a CF pin connector and taking one of my camera bodies out of service from minimal to zero.

Upvote 0
Wow has this thread taken an EXTREMELY goofy turn. My initial post was to suggest an alternative to a card reader if the poster's 1DX III (and mine) are shipped next week without the promised bundled CF Express card reader. For years, I have used the RJ-45 ethernet port built into my EOS 1DX series bodies for fast file transfer and it is a very simple file transfer alternative to removing cards with these bodies.

Are CF cards fatally flawed? Of course not but bent pins certainly can be an issue with this type of connector as a most simple search will reveal: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=cf+card+pin+problem

I often shoot several thousand images a week for sports events and using the simple and robust RJ-45 ethernet port built into the 1DX series bodies drops the risk of damaging a CF pin connector and taking one of my camera bodies out of service from minimal to zero.
Aah, but then what are you doing to increase the risk of damage to your ethernet port? Goes from zero to something a little bit higher..? Only joking :D

Upvote 0

RBS

Feb 6, 2020
Aah, but then what are you doing to increase the risk of damage to your ethernet port? Goes from zero to something a little bit higher..? Only joking :D

I hope that I don't damage the WiFi when my 1DX III arrives if I start using that for file transfer :)

On a more serious note, the RJ-45 jack (typical ethernet connector) is a very robust connector that is very simple and doesn't have to fit a large number of contacts into a tiny space and is great for the sort of duty cycle my DSLR bodies see. Although it would be possible through very clumsy behavior to bend one of the RJ-45 series contacts, it wouldn't require the skill of a surgeon to put it right again.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Yes, and that card reader in the box isn't the only CFexpress card reader manufactured and sold in the world. That card reader and others can be found at Best Buy, Amazon, etc.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I hope that I don't damage the WiFi when my 1DX III arrives if I start using that for file transfer :)

On a more serious note, the RJ-45 jack (typical ethernet connector) is a very robust connector that is very simple and doesn't have to fit a large number of contacts into a tiny space and is great for the sort of duty cycle my DSLR bodies see. Although it would be possible through very clumsy behavior to bend one of the RJ-45 series contacts, it wouldn't require the skill of a surgeon to put it right again.
I've had many RJ-45 contacts bend and become intermittent over the years. I also spent 35 years working with connector designs and factories. Th design of the CF card connection system s beyond horrible. I've had two cameras ruined and two card readers with bad pins.

The RJ 45 is not very good either, but at least, a person who is moderately skilled can usually pull the pins that are bent or pushed out of place back in to place until the device can be fixed. The IDC connection to the wiring is far worse, I see a lot of them break off. I buy bags of replacements by the hundred.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

Yes, google certainly reveals the hidden dangers of everyday life! Here's a chilling example:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2016

I had a bent pin on my camera and on thumb sized card reader. Since then I take out the SD card in order to offload the images.

Upvote 0