Canon EOS R6 IBIS in action

Anyone shooting the Snow Moon tonight? Maybe with an Ra? (Gotta stay sort of on topic) Last night the clouds parted for a few minutes and I got a couple but not with my usual moon settings as I was rushed + from a deck in the backyard of the the suburbs with light pollution.

I have a Meade ETX 125 I did some shots 2 days ago, plus with my 70-200 2.8 on my M50. Did some video a few days before that.

Snow moon (and blue moon) is really no big event to photograph. With the naked eye it may look a little noticeably bigger. But when you photograph, it makes no difference because you can always enlarge it or use a longer focal length.

Besides, full moons are not fun to look at. They look so flat. It's more fun to look at shadows of craters during the moon phases. Or watching/photographing an eclipse.

I'm sure most of you guys already know this.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
You actually think Canon is going to pack all that into the R6 and sell it only a few hundred more than the RP? Lol. R6 is going to be close to $3k and the R5 close to $5k. This is Canon we are talking about here...

The RP is getting phased out. And yes. You will have a $1500-$1800 Canon MILC with IBIS because of this:

And that certainly is not the R5. The R5 is a 5D body line equivalent. It will be be priced like a 5D body. That's about $3500-$3800. The HIGH MP model might be $5000ish, but I still see that one under $4000 as well. Just like the 5DS and 5DSR

You need to go and read more up on what Canon has been hinting at for the last couple years.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Actually, I quite like that - much more atmospheric with the cloud. Nice shot.
No go here - been out and there is 100% cloud cover - should have expected it with the Storm coming in, I suppose :(

Yeah, I was going to add in my last post that having some clouds in there is much better than just looking at a plain boring shot of a full moon with a totally black background.

A couple of days ago the moon was just coming over the houses across the street just before the sun set. I got shots with the houses and the change in sky color (red to blue to kinda gray) with the moon. And while taking the shots, I thought: "the moon will be in this same spot 110 mins later on Snow moon day, and it'll just be a boring black sky".

Upvote 0
Except I think IBIS is about to become a standard feature, at least in new R series bodies.

We'll see. There was a rumour a way back about an ultra-budget R body, even cheaper than the RP. I can't see that getting IBIS. Canon is very good at making stripped-down budget models for the most price-sensitive segment of the market. Even if the bottom is falling out of camera sales in general, they could still take that approach.

Upvote 0
Anyone shooting the Snow Moon tonight? Maybe with an Ra? (Gotta stay sort of on topic) Last night the clouds parted for a few minutes and I got a couple but not with my usual moon settings as I was rushed + from a deck in the backyard of the the suburbs with light pollution.

What's special about the moon tonight? Light pollution shouldn't make a difference, unless you're shooting wide/landscape shots with the moon. And the Ra wouldn't produce a better result fwiw (if I'm missing some humour, forgive me).

Upvote 0
Would be neat to play with IBIS and my 180 macro. Dont always use a tripod

I'm sure IBIS will help, but it's worth remembering that it's less effective with longer focal lengths. Ideally Canon would release an IS 180 (or 200) macro lens, but I won't hold my breath...

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
I have a Meade ETX 125 I did some shots 2 days ago, plus with my 70-200 2.8 on my M50. Did some video a few days before that.

Snow moon (and blue moon) is really no big event to photograph. With the naked eye it may look a little noticeably bigger. But when you photograph, it makes no difference because you can always enlarge it or use a longer focal length.

Besides, full moons are not fun to look at. They look so flat. It's more fun to look at shadows of craters during the moon phases. Or watching/photographing an eclipse.

I'm sure most of you guys already know this.

Amen. These moon nicknames have been invented in the last 10 years as Internet Clickbait. Ultra super mega blood Moon

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
What's special about the moon tonight? Light pollution shouldn't make a difference, unless you're shooting wide/landscape shots with the moon. And the Ra wouldn't produce a better result fwiw (if I'm missing some humour, forgive me).
I don't know, I'm very new at this moon thing, being a CR member doesn't mean I'm a lunar shooter. I just looked up a list of Super Moons and this was listed as an also ran. I also have a 1.4 tc now so trying my luck with 560mm. It's a good target for that sort of thing. I enjoy it, despite the ridicule by 'better and more informed' photographers you'll read about on certain photo forums.

Upvote 0
I don't know, I'm very new at this moon thing, being a CR member doesn't mean I'm a lunar shooter. I just looked up a list of Super Moons and this was listed as an also ran. I also have a 1.4 tc now so trying my luck with 560mm. It's a good target for that sort of thing. I enjoy it, despite the ridicule by 'better and more informed' photographers you'll read about on certain photo forums.

Nobody is ridiculing you. If I came off that way, I wasn't trying to. If anything, I thought you knew something I didn't (since you mentioned possibly using the Ra). Sorry.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for the heads up. Rushed outside and did a qucik snap. Actually about 20 and I must learn how to stack them.
DSC_4383-DxO_snow_moon_mc.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Thanks for the heads up. Rushed outside and did a qucik snap. Actually about 20 and I must learn how to stack them.
View attachment 188589
Nice shot!
I randomly decided to take some shots of the full moon last night too. I used the telescope I have and an EF adapter. Not completely sure why, but I couldn't get a completely steady shot. Not sure if it was because of my tripod, or that my balcony isn't sturdy, or because it was close to a whirring outside AC unit, but the image would hardly quit shaking.

It just reminded me how much of a pain it is to use the 5D4 for certain shots because there is no flip screen. Really looking forward to finally having a flip screen and IBIS for these kind of shots.

Upvote 0