Canon EOS R5 Specifications

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
You are correct - there could be other reasons not to develop a 5D5.

The primary alternative reason I can think of is very simple: collapsing demand for DSLRs in the market place. According to CIPA, there was a 32% decline in DSLR sales in 2019.

I’m with those who believe that the ubiquity of the smartphone camera is the reason for this. We who are posting on DSLR forums are a niche. The iPhone is by far the world’s most popular camera, statista.com says, with more than 750 million in use. I don’t see that number going anywhere but upward. At the same time, the market will settle down and I feel certain that there will be a continuing demand for interchangeable-lens digital cameras.

Hopefully we get some further information when the R5 is introduced.

Right again. As always, the proof of the pudding is in the tasting!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Reading this thread is driving me nuts. For god’s sake, people, learn the difference between loose and lose! Crappy usage ruins your credibility. Here’s a hint. Loose means not tight. So What have they got to loose... is nonsensical.
All of us for whom english is not the mother tongue or who were not fortunate enough to learn it properly are contrite for being inferior humans without decent credibility.
Sorry for our crappy use of such a beautiful language.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Nor is comically pompous writing, "Sir."

As for "discrimination," I am guilty of no such thing in the negative sense that you use the word. Everyone discriminates; the word means to choose, to evaluate, to decide. You discriminated by choosing to take me to task, for example. We all employ various means in deciding whose writing we will give weight to and whose we will be dubious of. Given two choices, a literate person and a semi-literate person, all else being equal, I will likely opt for the literate person. I reiterate that I am not talking about simple spelling errors or unnoticed auto-correction. Not knowing about advice/advise, its/it's, loose/lose, then/than, there/their, your/you're, et al., is not a spelling error. It is a sign of poor literacy, which interrupts the discourse for careful readers and causes one to wonder what else the writer does not know. I now gift you with the last word on this topic.

I see nothing comical in calling a person Sir or Madam. Your point of View on essence of discrimination may require a quick refresh. Your personal preferences in this case are not very well aligned with modern age cultural values and hopefully CR community. Discrimination not to be tolerated. Thank you.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
...then a couple months until they start taking orders, then a couple months until delivery! ;-)

Absolutely not a problem since July is the rumoured release period. Gives me time to put the cash aside. Until then, I just keep shooting with the old rigs. :)

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

The primary alternative reason I can think of is very simple: collapsing demand for DSLRs in the market place. According to CIPA, there was a 32% decline in DSLR sales in 2019. Obviously Canon is much more attuned to the market than any customer is, and they may decide that there is just not enough demand to warrant developing a 5D5. They may have even been working on a 5D5 but cancelled the project given what has been happening in the market. We simply don't know and may never know.

While your numbers are correct, the problem is that it's a catch-all figure. Every DSLR from $400 to $6000 is included. The vast majority of total sales is in the lower end. Not evenly spread across the board. While I'm not suggesting the sales of upper level DSLRs hasn't come down, they have not anywhere near the extent the lower range has. The lower end casual users dont rebuy every few years, many are just using phones, and others are buying replacements in smaller more compact MILCS. Those upper end users (daily professionals) still widely use what they know and love and are far more likely to want to stay in what is a familiar feel that will mount natively to big glass libraries they already have.. I'm still betting we see at least one more 5D body before retirement. The 1DX and 5D lines will be the last DSLRs to go.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
All of us for whom english is not the mother tongue or who were not fortunate enough to learn it properly are contrite for being inferior humans without decent credibility.
Sorry for our crappy use of such a beautiful language.

My comment. I think everyone should strive for their best but many don't, and I accept that. I would never look down on anyone who is handicapped by ESL no matter how challenged they might be. What matters is that they contribute positively as best they can. To fall back on, everyone is using crappy grammar etc., is a cop out to justify laziness or indifference and is not admirable to me, but that's just me. Never the less, within respectable norms each of us has a right to project whatever image we wish for the world to see. Freedom is precious.

Jack

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
My comment. I think everyone should strive for their best but many don't, and I accept that. I would never look down on anyone who is handicapped by ESL no matter how challenged they might be. What matters is that they contribute positively as best they can. To fall back on, everyone is using crappy grammar etc., is a cop out to justify laziness or indifference and is not admirable to me, but that's just me. Never the less, within respectable norms each of us has a right to project whatever image we wish for the world to see. Freedom is precious.

Jack

I can generally tell those who had to learn English from those who were born with it but don't know how to spell. In the first case the sentence structure often reflects their first language. It comes across as odd to me but makes sense, ultimately, when I think about it. I actually enjoy reading that sort of thing. Bad spelllers, if I imagine someone actually repeating their sentences to me verbally, sound perfectly normal.

Of course, everyone makes typos. When I see a consistent occurrence of the same error, over and over...that's when I figure someone is ignorant. Even then, though, I don't assume they're ignorant of their topic just because they're ignorant of a fine point of written English. That only comes about when it's clear they really are ignorant. I try to look past the English mistakes (difficult as that can sometimes be).

Sometimes when I get the sense someone is generally careful, but is making some mistake, I figure he (or she) might actually appreciate the correction and will offer it.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I can generally tell those who had to learn English from those who were born with it but don't know how to spell. In the first case the sentence structure often reflects their first language. It comes across as odd to me but makes sense, ultimately, when I think about it. I actually enjoy reading that sort of thing. Bad spelllers, if I imagine someone actually repeating their sentences to me verbally, sound perfectly normal.

Of course, everyone makes typos. When I see a consistent occurrence of the same error, over and over...that's when I figure someone is ignorant. Even then, though, I don't assume they're ignorant of their topic just because they're ignorant of a fine point of written English. That only comes about when it's clear they really are ignorant. I try to look past the English mistakes (difficult as that can sometimes be).

Sometimes when I get the sense someone is generally careful, but is making some mistake, I figure he (or she) might actually appreciate the correction and will offer it.
I agree and it all boils down to just doing the best we can and being tolerant and respectful and trying to contribute positively. CR folk generally are great. And I love to hear genuine criticism since it offers me hope of getting better. Unkind/inaccurate criticism I just ignore. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Spelling mistakes commonly occur because of dyslexia rather than ignorance. Some of my smartest students have been dyslexic.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I suppose they care about what their clients think, no?
We're a very particular (and small) sub-section of their audience. Would they keep a general eye on these sort of sites? Yes, but probably mainly to track what 'rumours' are circulating. For particular feedback (especially on technical issues) the advice has always been to go directly to Canon Support and not assume they are monitoring particular threads here. Otherwise, they will have their own ideas on how to gauge the views of the buying public. They know already that everyone would like as many features as possible crammed into as small (and light but heavily weatherproofed and with two card slots) as possible a body, selling for as little as possible. Deciding which of these features to include in particular bodies at different price points, and also long-term strategies such as the RF mount and mirrorless generally, go through very different and very back-room processes.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Spelling mistakes commonly occur because of dyslexia rather than ignorance. Some of my smartest students have been dyslexic.

The instructor of my smartest students had worse spelling than his students. Guess who that was. The white boards didn't have spell check!

But on dyslexia, maybe I have an excuse, I mix up B's and P's. Now, what's the thread about ... oh, Canon R5? What's that got to do with spelling? Where's a newer rumour?!! I want more rumours!!

Jack

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I am keen to find out the size of this, if it is as small as the R I will be disappointed. I would like to get my foot in the door on the R side, but all the super tele's and big cameras are on EF. A physically big R5 and something something 400mm would get me into the mirrorless camp, especially with that wee fatty 70-200 that I can stuff in my backpack.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

The primary alternative reason I can think of is very simple: collapsing demand for DSLRs in the market place. According to CIPA, there was a 32% decline in DSLR sales in 2019. Obviously Canon is much more attuned to the market than any customer is, and they may decide that there is just not enough demand to warrant developing a 5D5. They may have even been working on a 5D5 but cancelled the project given what has been happening in the market. We simply don't know and may never know.

Cameras like the 5D series have typically consisted of much less than 32% of Canon's DSLR sales, which have been dominated by entry level Rebels. The drop in overall DSLR sales may or may not be reflected in the sales numbers of more advanced top end cameras. Since the last 5-series and 1-series were released in 2016, and since sales are generally much higher the first year or so after a model is released than they are for that same model in years two, three, four, etc., even Canon may not fully know how a one or two year trend will affect their lower volume high end bodies to be introduced in the near future.

Based on statements made in the most recent financial report, Canon leadership seems to believe that even as the overall market for ILCs, and entry level DSLRs in particular, contracts, they expect the enthusiast/pro segment of the market to contract less or even remain fairly stable.

Upvote 0
Just my two cents worth. I think the DSLR basically is dead as far as the future of cameras go. Now if for some mythical reason Canon was not able to adapt their EF line of lenses to the R bodies then I would agree that the future would hold a 5DV for it would take some time to rebuild the RF lens line-up. Canon has always been about the glass not the bodies. So with this scenario being erased a 5DV doesn't make much sense. The elephant in the room between mirrorless and DSLR's is EVF refresh rates, shutter speed and for some buffering capacity for tracking fast action photography. The 5D series was never developed with this in mind to begin with so it would not fulfill any of the current limitations that a DSLR has over a mirrorless. There is a big difference between personal preference and performance. The EOS R was basically a mirrorless 5DIV replacement, thou admittedly in a less than stellar configuration for some, (me included). I'm sure when the automobile first appeared many folks saw no reason to replace the horse and buggy. These machines where too expensive, complicated and you now had to take your transportation somewhere else to fuel it instead of be able to feed it yourself. Guess who won.

Upvote 0
Cameras like the 5D series have typically consisted of much less than 32% of Canon's DSLR sales, which have been dominated by entry level Rebels. The drop in overall DSLR sales may or may not be reflected in the sales numbers of more advanced top end cameras. Since the last 5-series and 1-series were released in 2016, and since sales are generally much higher the first year or so after a model is released than they are for that same model in years two, three, four, etc., even Canon may not fully know how a one or two year trend will affect their lower volume high end bodies to be introduced in the near future.

Based on statements made in the most recent financial report, Canon leadership seems to believe that even as the overall market for ILCs, and entry level DSLRs in particular, contracts, they expect the enthusiast/pro segment of the market to contract less or even remain fairly stable.

What is interesting is that Canon appears to be set to introduce the updated 850D/rebel. Maybe they are holding their own at this end of the market.

Upvote 0