There is talk of a Canon RF 20-50mm f/4-5.6 IS STM [CR1]

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
No, actually I should have said 12.5 to 31.25mm equivalent for a 1.6 crop. I adjusted my OP to be clearer as it could have been misinterpreted. I was referring to the crop equivalence of the new lens, not the FF equivalence of the 11-22.
Ok now that is technically clear although I haven't seen the opposite equivalence to be used anywhere in practice.In other words you meant that a FF 20-50 range anyway is a superset of the crop 11-22 (17.5-35).

Correct no matter which direction of transformations we choose :)

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Ok now that is technically clear although I haven't seen the opposite equivalence to be used anywhere in practice.In other words you meant that a FF 20-50 range anyway is a superset of the crop 11-22 (17.5-35).

Correct no matter which direction of transformations we choose :)
Kind of an offset superset, but yes, that is the point I was making. The 11-22 is an excellent lens and this new R lens could likely use a similar collapsible design strategy for an even more useful general purpose range. When you think about the crop opportunities at 45MP, this really covers a 20-70 range quite nicely and this one is (so far at least) f/5.6 minimum, so it will likely be aimed higher than the 7.1 lens and that would also be consistent with the 11-22 which is toward the upper end of the M lens price range.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
No news on any affordable RF primes then.
All in due time. Most folks who are thinking about affordable RF primes already have a collection of affordable EF primes, so not really a crisis and the not-so-affordable RF primes are very cool. At the entry level, affordable zooms are needed to get new buyers onboard and after the glitz and glamor of the early high end lenses, that is priority one. It does look like they are trying to pull the segment of the Rebel market that would consider moving to FF directly to R. I think they also see that there is a big chunk of the Rebel market that will never move beyond APS-c and hence you have the M line here to stay for quite a while.

Upvote 0
I know it's been rumored, but I'd LOVE to see a wide pancake lens option. Preferably a 24mm or wider. Even f2.8 would be fine, as long as it's cheap. I have plenty of other lenses in the toolkit but not a lot of travel-sized options. I already have a 5d4 so there's not a lot of point in having an EOS R if I can't take advantage of the size/weight.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
I know it's been rumored, but I'd LOVE to see a wide pancake lens option. Preferably a 24mm or wider. Even f2.8 would be fine, as long as it's cheap. I have plenty of other lenses in the toolkit but not a lot of travel-sized options. I already have a 5d4 so there's not a lot of point in having an EOS R if I can't take advantage of the size/weight.

Yes please! That would be my perfect compliment to my travel setup.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
What I like about the EF-S and EF pancakes is that they offer f/2.8 as well as being compact. A lens cap with fairly decent optics included.
I cannot say I find the aperture range attractive on this supposed zoom. Sounds like a low end kit-lens. I will skip this breakfast.

sounds perfect for a silent focusing run and gun lens for video work.and don’t forget F4 full frame is the equivalent more or less of a F2.8 on a crop.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
What I like about the EF-S and EF pancakes is that they offer f/2.8 as well as being compact. A lens cap with fairly decent optics included.
I cannot say I find the aperture range attractive on this supposed zoom. Sounds like a low end kit-lens. I will skip this breakfast.
But there are exactly two of them. 24mm for EF-s and 40mm for EF, which is an almost perfect scaling of the 24 (also, the 22mm EF-M). That is about the optimum FL for making a pancake (practical from 35-45). I have a Minolta MD 45 f/2 that is almost a pancake and it is an awesome little razor sharp piece of glass. Works great on an M and now there are MD to R adapters, so should be pretty nice there as well. The lens in this post is actually a very useful range with the 20mm wide end. 20mm FF does not really fit into a pancake design. The EF 20mm has a pretty big chunk of glass at the front and it is not nearly as sharp wide open as the 24, 28, and 35 in the same family. If this new lens has IQ like the 11-22 M lens, it will be delightful.

Upvote 0