Why aren’t there more Canon EOS R5 leaks?

Jul 28, 2015
There should be little to no issue there. Two completely different cameras for two different jobs. I dont see how a 1DX3 buyer would get thrown off by the R5 or R6 whatsoever

I agree. I have said for some time that it not long until the main differentiator for product lines is build/ruggedness or form factor rather than out and out functionality (rather like it was in film days). Someone who needs the build of 1Dx line will not settle for an R5 or 5DIV simply because it is 'as good' in image quality. If that were not the case, then Sony would not have released the A9 at 24MP or CaNikon with the iDx/D6 with 20 MP.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
There should be little to no issue there. Two completely different cameras for two different jobs. I dont see how a 1DX3 buyer would get thrown off by the R5 or R6 whatsoever

I think stills photographers may be, as the jump from the ii to the iii in image quality is tiny. At least that's what got me. If the R5 delivers superior image quality, dynamic range, etc. AND gets me native access to the R series lenses then I'm in, and this is after I passed on the 1DX3

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
The Canon 60D was a great camera... but it pales in comparison to the R. Curious why you didn't go that route? I have two of them, and could not be happier. Sure, you could adapt your lenses to the Nikon or Sony... but why when you could stay native?
The current EOS R imo is unimpressive as compared to the existing players in its space like the A7III or even the Z6. Also the range of native lenses at this time pales in comparison to the E mount. So to compromise on both body and limited lense range was a bit to much of an ask.

In my mind if I bought into the first version of EOS R, I would have wasted money and have to upgrade within a short time. Fingers crossed for the EOS R6

Upvote 0
d5d80d14f4296f91d39e93c6fda1c.jpg

sure looks like the real deal!!! :giggle:

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Honestly, video hype aside, as a photographer I didn't find the 1DX iii to be all that compelling vs the 1DX ii. I was contemplating jumping to Sony's A9 until I heard about this R5. Canon should be thankful for rumors sites like this that keep current owners invested a little bit more.
My thoughts exactly. How many sales get SAVED by early leaks that make buyers go "Whoa! I'm gonna wait now til I see what this new Canon thing is"

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I think stills photographers may be, as the jump from the ii to the iii in image quality is tiny. At least that's what got me. If the R5 delivers superior image quality, dynamic range, etc. AND gets me native access to the R series lenses then I'm in, and this is after I passed on the 1DX3
If all you see is pure resolution and IQ, then you are missing exactly what 1DX buyers are buying that camera for. I'm not planning on upgrading my DX2 to a DX3, but if I had a 1DX original model, I probably would.

Upvote 0
d5d80d14f4296f91d39e93c6fda1c.jpg

sure looks like the real deal!!! :giggle:

Alright, I'll bite.

What in the world is that bottom right connection. Is it a Canon UN-5 Cable connection for a LM-V1 display found on their Cinema cameras?

Also, I if this image is real, I hate the fact that they kept the mode button in the rotating dial. It's so hard to change from video to photo modes :(

64c2f40528b7509405f495052e308.jpg

Upvote 0

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
I need to upgrade from Canon 60D. Saved up for a Z6 or A7III, but halted those plans when I heard of the R6, but July seems so far away

I need to upgrade from Canon 60D. Saved up for a Z6 or A7III, but halted those plans when I heard of the R6, but July seems so far away

I tired waiting on Canon, like you. I saved for the Z6 and bought it months ago. Glad I did because Fringer adapter lets me use my Canon lenses. I will buy an R5 or R6 in time.

Upvote 0
The current EOS R imo is unimpressive as compared to the existing players in its space like the A7III or even the Z6. Also the range of native lenses at this time pales in comparison to the E mount. So to compromise on both body and limited lense range was a bit to much of an ask.

In my mind if I bought into the first version of EOS R, I would have wasted money and have to upgrade within a short time. Fingers crossed for the EOS R6

Opinions vary. I've used them all. I'd take the R over both of the models you've mentioned above.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
If all you see is pure resolution and IQ, then you are missing exactly what 1DX buyers are buying that camera for. I'm not planning on upgrading my DX2 to a DX3, but if I had a 1DX original model, I probably would.

That's what I'm saying, there's not much to entice a stills photographer there. If I was shooting video often I'd be all over it.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
That's what I'm saying, there's not much to entice a stills photographer there. If I was shooting video often I'd be all over it.
For stills shooters shooting sports and wildlife and fast action, and photo journalism... absolutely it's entirely enticing. They need cameras that can get run over by tanks and keep going. If you're doing Landscapes and Portraiture, then no.

Upvote 0
Alright, I'll bite.

What in the world is that bottom right connection. Is it a Canon UN-5 Cable connection for a LM-V1 display found on their Cinema cameras?

Also, I if this image is real, I hate the fact that they kept the mode button in the rotating dial. It's so hard to change from video to photo modes :(

View attachment 188627

the mode button (and video record) doesn't necessarily mean the stills/video toggle switch isn't behind.

i really hope the toggle switch is there as rumored, and even more importantly the thumb wheel.. but then again since apparently the leaked info isn't 100% correct..

as for the port on the bottom right, i think its just the remote terminal like on the 5D IV at the same spot..

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
For stills shooters shooting sports and wildlife and fast action, and photo journalism... absolutely it's entirely enticing. They need cameras that can get run over by tanks and keep going. If you're doing Landscapes and Portraiture, then no.

The 1DX ii already matched that though. It's not like this thing is 30% MORE sturdy or something.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• Canon announces the development of the ...pdf
    735.4 KB · Views: 244
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The 1DX ii already matched that though. It's not like this thing is 30% MORE sturdy or something.
The AF system is faster and accuracy notably improved over an already good system. The buffer is now virtually unlimited for bursts. Those are things that matter most to the audience this camera is built for along with its unmatched reliability. As I said before, you'll see a lot of original 1DX cameras get retired for this thing. Not as much DX2 cameras short of them having been completely used up.

Upvote 0