Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
For body design, to me it's all about the prospect of a chunkier grip + 5D-like feature set (most notably a thumbwheel) while retaining the tilty-flippy.

Do you really care (for this class of camera) if the body gets an 20-25mm wider for all those controls? I argue you shouldn't care about a compact body getting a little bigger if it is going to take up a ton of bag space due to lens choice anyway:

Compact FF bodies are nice, and Canon should still offer them. But at this price point, for these users, please give me back my damn 5D creature comforts and chunky grip.

- A

I agree the body is hopefully chunkier. The R is simply too petite for the big RF lenses (I have three of them, RF 50, 85, 28-70)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
8K is twice the pixels of 5.5K. I’m fairly sure there doesn’t exist a memory card technology that could handle
1DX III does 5.5K 60p, that's basically the same data rate as 8K 30p. Which is why the rumor seams very plausible and I'm sure it will also be RAW in the R5.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Can't blame the guy really. Just look at canon's track record. Do you ACTUALLY believe that they'd push out a 8K camera before Sony AND the most recent EOS C500, a $16,000 dollar cinema camera, doesn't even have 8K or IBIS?

I can believe that after 3 years of meh releases, canon can leapfrog the competition. Sony doesn't have some magic wand that makes them be instantly at the front of costs and performance always and forever. Sony is pushing out a few meh updates right now, so maybe they also hit the limit of what they could do, are being conservative for a bit and then in 2021 will wow everyone with an even better 8K (more bits! better codec!).

The leaders in this particular race have changed a lot since digital DSLRs have been mainstream.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
1DX III does 5.5K 60p, that's basically the Sama data rate as 8K 30p. Which is why the rumor seams very plausible and I'm sure it will also be RAW in the R5.

Yeah, I thought I had discarded that reply before posting it as the same thing occurred to me as I was writing it. Apparently accidentally posted it anyway :p

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around these new rumored models. Is the R5 a $5,000 camera or a $1,500 camera? Is this an A9 competitor or an A73 competitor? Either way damn this looks good.

I still want an RP replacement. An RP Mark II whatever that may be called. Make it a tiny bit smaller, with a better sensor. And I'll pony up. I favor lightness and compactness instead of stupid crap like IBIS or two card slots or whatever.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I can believe that after 3 years of meh releases, canon can leapfrog the competition. Sony doesn't have some magic wand that makes them be instantly at the front of costs and performance always and forever. Sony is pushing out a few meh updates right now, so maybe they also hit the limit of what they could do, are being conservative for a bit and then in 2021 will wow everyone with an even better 8K (more bits! better codec!).

The leaders in this particular race have changed a lot since digital DSLRs have been mainstream.

Leapfrog on paper, yes. But Sony might be about to drop an A7IV with nutters specs for $2k. You never know.

But yes, the 8K + stills throughput is really strong news (if true), and IBIS is arguably long overdue.

- A

Upvote 0

Look, I'm totally hoping for canon to pull a rabbit out of the hat and wow us with specs that's better than their top of the line cinema cameras but I'm also understanding where people are coming from when they say they just don't believe the specs or that the specs have huge caveats like major crops or timelpase.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around these new rumored models. Is the R5 a $5,000 camera or a $1,500 camera? Is this an A9 competitor or an A73 competitor? Either way damn this looks good.

I still want an RP replacement. An RP Mark II whatever that may be called. Make it a tiny bit smaller, with a better sensor. And I'll pony up. I favor lightness and compactness instead of stupid crap like IBIS or two card slots or whatever.
Let me reassure you on one point: The R5 will not be a $1,500 camera. It will be at least, at least, double that.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
It has to be expected that the R5 would be much smaller than the 5D IV. However, since the flange distance is longer on the 5D IV, it changes the perspective. The sensor on the 5d IV will appear slightly smaller than on the R5 at the same distance. Therefore, if you make the sensor size the same on superimposed images of both bodies, you slightly exaggerate the difference in sizes...

Who expected this?
And smaller and slimmer are two different things: While the latter relates to the absence of mirror box compared to 5DIV, the width&height would be nice to keep (nicely phrased by another poster saying that our hands did not get smaller with the entrance in the mirrorless world)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I’ve never had a problem with Sigma AF. Their newer lenses are stellar for the prices they charge. I also said native, as in not needing an adapter.

Think of it as a spacer, not an adapter. Both ends are EOS. The RF protocol is an expanded version of the EF protocol. No EF lens loses any functionality it has on an EF camera when it is mounted on an RF camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
CR Guy on Twitter just stuck his neck out with his guess: $3299.

That's a [CRSwag] and not a rumor.

My money's on $3499.

- A
The 1DX3 is sitting at $6,500. If this thing can really do 20 FPS just like the 1DX and first 8K video camera from canon AND first IBIS? I'd be willing to guess $3999.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
If this thing can really do 20 FPS just like the 1DX* and first 8K video camera from canon? I'd be willing to guess $3999.

*That's the entire catch, right?

What happens if 12 bit RAW or a very stripped down AE/AF mode is required to hit 20 fps?

What happens if 8K video lacks DPAF or lacks every conceivable codec you usually use?

There will be strings attached. How big/bad/nasty they are we shall see.

- A

Upvote 0
CR Guy on Twitter just stuck his neck out with his guess: $3299.

That's a [CRSwag] and not a rumor.

My money's on $3499.

- A
I'm going $3,799 - $4,200 USD. The 5DsR came in higher than past 5D models, and accounting for inflation since the release of the 5D IV and considering some of the capacity listed here, I think that's pretty reasonable

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Think of it as a spacer, not an adapter. Both ends are EOS. The RF protocol is an expanded version of the EF protocol. No EF lens loses any functionality it has on an EF camera when it is mounted on an RF camera.

For some folks, it's not about 'adaptors might not work well with my EF glass' -- it's more about 'I do not like adaptors in general'. Or that Sigma glass is often sharper-per-dollar than EF glass, and that trumps any AF reservations they have.

I get why people insist on native physical mounts. I disagree, but I understand how that is a cleaner / more hassle-free way to live.

- A

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
No word on stills resolution. A 1-1 8k image is around 33 megapixels, which would be a little underwhelming for is effectively the 5DmkIV successor

You've got to account for the difference in aspect ratios. 8K is not 3:2 so it won't use all of the sensor, just the full (or almost full) width while cropping the height.

Upvote 0