Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
no traditional mode dial?? that was one of my gripes about the eos r. even the rp has one.

The mechanical mode dial has limits as it only lets you choose from as many modes as fit on the dial. My hope with the electronic is that we get more modes i.e. more custom modes than the three would be really appreciated (Canon, please, its just a bit copy and paste of existing firmware code ...)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The mechanical mode dial has limits as it only lets you choose from as many modes as fit on the dial. My hope with the electronic is that we get more modes i.e. more custom modes than the three would be really appreciated (Canon, please, its just a bit copy and paste of existing firmware code ...)

I really love the mechanical mode dial, but honestly, I agree with you. I would prefer, like . . . about 5 custom modes for the photos I take.

1 - objects
2 - people
3 - action
4 - head shots
5 - ??? (If I actually had 5 custom modes, rest assured, I would think of something)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The mechanical mode dial is useful because you can switch through the C321BMAvTv P using muscle memory with saved settings.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
that's the only advantage of an electronic dial. mechanical is much faster to change modes in one swift action. electronic requires extra button press (button on top), then need to concentrate and look at lcd/evf to select the right mode.

if im in a M or C1 mode (for shooting environment then suddenly need to switch to shooting a person walking past with servo (C3 on my 5d3) i will miss the shot unless i can change modes in 1 second).

Sony and nikon mirrorless have mechanical mode dials. I really hope the r5 has one

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
Absolutely. Looks like I'll be starting a new savings account for memory cards. These new ones don't appear to be cheap.

Therd will be two card slots and they are different: The CFEpress is only needed for video
I would rather have 2 expensive card slots than mixed ones.....

For those of us who a) Dont need backup AND b) Dont shoot movies, mixed ones are the better option.

Upvote 0
Therd will be two card slots and they are different: The CFEpress is only needed for video

For those of us who a) Dont need backup AND b) Dont shoot movies, mixed ones are the better option.

With those rumoured burst rates, wouldn't you think it would be advantageous to have (2) CF Express cards instead of (1) SD and (1) CF Express?

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
Respectfully disagree. I do appreciate your writeup, though.

Human hands didn't get smaller with the removal of the mirror. So while it's absolutely easier to carry a body -- broken down without a lens on it -- it is less enjoyable, less comfortable, less real estate for controls and dedicated buttons when actually using it.

So shrinking down every FF body because everyone it doing it is the behavior of lemmings. It implies a lack of insight on Canon's part to see that folks are headed to Sony for a dozen reasons other than size.

If Canon will have 4 or 5 lines of RF mount bodies, they would be foolish to not consider the unique ergonomic needs of each target user base.
There is no one body footprint to unite them all, and Canon playing that there might be surely seems like a cost containment / shared inventory move. And I honestly hope I'm wrong about that.

- A

In line with your comments the last launch of Panasonic, all the S series, are HUGE bodies with a mirrorless FF sensor.
Bigger and heavier than 5D MarkIII and IV.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
that's the only advantage of an electronic dial. mechanical is much faster to change modes in one swift action. electronic requires extra button press (button on top), then need to concentrate and look at lcd/evf to select the right mode.

if im in a M or C1 mode (for shooting environment then suddenly need to switch to shooting a person walking past with servo (C3 on my 5d3) i will miss the shot unless i can change modes in 1 second).

Sony and nikon mirrorless have mechanical mode dials. I really hope the r5 has one

I love that my 1DX2 doesn't have one. My set-up is that the M-FN button by the shutter instantly switches from my selected mode to a C1 custom shutter priority mode where the shutterspeed defaults to 1/1000 and the ISO defaults to Auto, so that the instant I need to freeze action I'm barely a click away to immediately begin shooting at 1/1000th. The second click of the M-Fn button switches to a C2 shutter priority at 1/60th, for panning action and video shooting, and then a third click of M-Fn reverts to whatever mode I had before I hit the button, most of the time manual. That's easily one of my favorite and most useful custom functions on my 1DX2, and it has saved sooo many shots when I've had really sudden action happen in front of me, like a few weeks ago when a fox darted out in front of me while I'm doing landscape 30 second exposures. It also has really made shooting panning action at sports easier, since I can quickly switch to 1/60th and then if I see action I need to freeze I'm a click away from 1/1000th.

This set-up isn't possible with a normal mode dial, and I hope they allow the R5 the custom functions of the 1DX2 to be able to do that as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
I can live without the mode dial I like on the RP. The Fv mode gives an analogy: using the finder view to display and adjust the setting with the two wheels.

Similarly, it would be simple to have a single button invoke a mode-changing mode in which a wheel would cyucle through one's selected array of modes.

Upvote 0
Anything you say, buttercup.

Here's a tip, for the internet and for life generally: when you're wrong, just own up and move on. Don't get defensive, don't try to slink away from it. You were wrong, that's okay - nobody's perfect! But you do yourself no favours by responding with this attitude.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I would rather have 2 expensive card slots than mixed ones.....
Well, in 7+ years of shooting far above the specced shutter life, using two mixed cards has not once let me down. Now true, I wasn't shooting videos for my NYU class to be submitted to Sundance on the 5D3. Add an RRS L plate, a few of these 'don't blink' CF Espresso cards and then we will be into the $4k range for sure. Joy.

Upvote 0
Respectfully disagree. I do appreciate your writeup, though.

Human hands didn't get smaller with the removal of the mirror. So while it's absolutely easier to carry a body -- broken down without a lens on it -- it is less enjoyable, less comfortable, less real estate for controls and dedicated buttons when actually using it.

So shrinking down every FF body because everyone it doing it is the behavior of lemmings. It implies a lack of insight on Canon's part to see that folks are headed to Sony for a dozen reasons other than size.

If Canon will have 4 or 5 lines of RF mount bodies, they would be foolish to not consider the unique ergonomic needs of each target user base.
There is no one body footprint to unite them all, and Canon playing that there might be surely seems like a cost containment / shared inventory move. And I honestly hope I'm wrong about that.

I think the real test will be a mirrorless 1-series replacement. As for this one, well I expect it won't be so bad if they also release a 5D5 with similar internals and the old body design, but that remains to be seen.

Upvote 0