Why aren’t there more Canon EOS R5 leaks?

Sep 3, 2018
No.

I personally used Canon glass on a Sony A7 III for a few months, and it was a mess. One time even in daylight conditions I was using a Canon 70-200 2.8 II shooting a crowd (plenty of contrast, good lighting, not fast action) and the autofocus just fell on its face. It just wouldn't focus. I forget if I was using the Metabones adapter or Sigma at that point, I tried both at certain times.

The idea that EF glass on Sony bodies "works fine" is pretty much a myth. It's a miracle at all that three different manufacturer's products work together with each other, but ultimately it's far from a good experience or anything I would want to use professionally.
A myth?..... Not in my experience.

I’ve been using EF on Sony a7RIII since its release (2 years?) and the AF has been excellent in all lighting conditions . Later firmware updates have made the AF even better.

My previous a7RII was a little slow but still worked. I imagine the a7RIV to be even better.

However, hopefully this will be a none issue anyway after tonight and the R5 is unveiled.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
The new Olympus OMD EM-1 III was announced today and it has 7.5 stops of overall IS combining the IBIS with the lens IS, which matches the 7-8 claimed by the rumour.

The Olympus system is very impressive. Sony claimed 5.5 stops but could by all accounts only get 2 stops IBIS on their FF which is not surprising considering the momentum of a sensor 4x larger . So if Canon's first offering is anywhere near the 5 stops IBIS it claims, that will be a very, very impressive achievement. And to me would be another example of Canon having the technology but reusing to implement it until 'it works'.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The Olympus system is very impressive. Sony claimed 5.5 stops but could by all accounts only get 2 stops IBIS on their FF which is not surprising considering the momentum of a sensor 4x larger .
I imagine with their tiny mount diameter there's also a limit for how much to the side they can move without image quality degrading to far. Canon uses a proper FF mount, that may help them in this regard as well. Although vignetting has been a pretty tough subject with the RF lenses.

Upvote 0
The new Olympus OMD EM-1 III was announced today and it has 7.5 stops of overall IS combining the IBIS with the lens IS, which matches the 7-8 claimed by the rumour.

I noticed that too. I was sceptical when the figure was initially leaked, but now... well, it sure would be something to see!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Doesn't canon usually wait till after nikon announcements - waiting for the Nikon D6 noise to settle.

The R5, if real as spec'd, curb stomps all and will blot out the sun as far as exposure goes. It's a sea change for Canon's posture in FF ILC.

The D6, by comparison, is almost a submarine sneaking out of port at night. Feels like a 1DX2.5 to me and folks are already a bit 'is that all?' about it.

- A

Upvote 0
Doesn't canon usually wait till after nikon announcements - waiting for the Nikon D6 noise to settle.

I think it has finally dawned on Canon that Nikon isn't their main rival any more.

As for Canon getting cheesed off at leaks, they can look to the Nikon example where there are no leaks, but also no internet buzz of anticipation over future products. Nikon killed off the leaks and may have killed off themselves at the same time. Yes, it's true that in the Nikon world all you hear are crickets these days. There is no noise in the Nikon world to settle any more. Sad.

As Oscar Wild said: "there is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about".

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I disagree. Unless you have a need for ultra fast AF for action, adapted EF lenses work perfectly well on the Sony bodies.

There are many great cameras out there that don't have a Canon label on them however there is only one that will successfully use your existing EF glass while we wait for the new Canon mirrorless and that I'm afraid is a Sony. In the even of an R5/R6 no show tomorrow and no news as to when that will happen, enjoy photography and go and take pictures.
There is only one mirrorless camera that you can successfully use your EF lenses on...Sony??

Only a Sony troll makes that kind of silly comment. The best mirrorless cameras to get the best functionality with your EF lenses are obviously the Canon R and RP. The constant Sony propaganda is really getting annoying. Why are the Sony fanboys on a Canon site anyway. Why would someone voluntarily spend time promoting a rival product? What exactly is in it for them. Makes me wonder.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Only a Sony troll makes that kind of silly comment. The best mirrorless cameras to get the best functionality with your EF lenses are obviously the Canon R and RP. The constant Sony propaganda is really getting annoying. Why are the Sony fanboys on a Canon site anyway. Why would someone voluntarily spend time promoting a rival product? What exactly is in it for them. Makes me wonder.
Pathetic..... Whats wrong with being just a photography fan regardless of brand?

In the context of the discussion, it was in responce to talk the R5 rumour being fake and another poster considering buying a Sony and adapting lenses while they waited for a future Canon mirrorless camera.

There is only one mirrorless camera that you can successfully use your EF lenses on...Sony??

You really need to get out more and expand your posibilities. I've even used my Canon TS-E lenses with a Phase One digital back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0