Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
In case the rumours hold true, it looks like this time the CR guy is way ahead of Nokishita who remains silent about the R5. Congrats!

I see them as different kinds of information sources. CR Guy gets advance notice of things but in incomplete pictures, but sifts through a lot of noise to build a consistent picture for us.

I presume Nokivoldemort just gets handed actual company copy or tracks down official registrations as products approach announcement time.

Both help us see what's coming, but this place has a great forum and friendly, helpful folks. :)

- A

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Kit Lens Jockey said:
That's fine if you don't care how large the camera is to carry around, but some people do.
5d4 is a good side [sic] camera. It is not so large for what it does.
It’s not the size, but the mass. Wait until you’re 76 years old and then see how much fun it is carrying a 5D IV around all day. When I leave the house I carry either an EOS RP or a 6DII, while my 5D IV stands ready at home, on a tripod.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
At the same time this dev announcement may impact EOS R sales. There shouldn't be a big gap between the dev announcement and the actual release.

With the R5, really? These are very different price points to me. The R5 may cost 2x what an R does at time of launch. I don't see a problem here.

With the R6 (depending on other features, price, etc.), yes, it may have some impact like you suggest.

- A

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
[but I feel like there is more marketing BS in the leaked specs.="goldenhusky, post: 816727, member: 378720"]
...I feel like there is more marketing BS in the leaked specs...
[/QUOTE]
It hadn’t occurred to me that the “specs” seen on CR were leaked; I took them to have been cut from whole cloth based on wishful thinking.

Upvote 0
Just use the RF-EF adapter

I'll try it, but I'd prefer to have cheaper native lenses. Especially since I already have one RF lens, and taking the adapter on and off is not ideal. If the RF mount is going to have any amount of success it is going to need third party support. Having access to a cheaper holy trinity will make or break this mount.

Upvote 0
Tony shoots most of his video on Canon. Stills with Sony. So if the video stuff were true about the R5, you'd think he'd be salivating.

He pretty much said what I said: Canon coming out with this camera could theoretically be true, but it wouldn't be in character. Would be like Bernie Sanders suddenly revealing he was a 32 year old mother of three who was president of her college's young Republicans. Not in so many words.

It wouldn't be anything like that at all.

Upvote 0
With the R5, really? These are very different price points to me. The R5 may cost 2x what an R does at time of launch. I don't see a problem here.

I agree, however even here on this forum some people consider R5 an upgrade to R. There's certainly some overlap in potential R and R5 users despite the price difference. The question is whether this overlap is big enough for Canon to worry about.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Did you not read that the owner of the site removed the picture he received and replaced it with a current model because he wasn't sure it wouldn't cause issues. I'd rather he keep in the good Grace's of his informants
Did you not see that I posted that within minutes of the initial article being posted, well before any of what you're talking about happened?

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Do you want 24 or 45 mega pixels? I think that would make your detailed comparison very quick.
I am aware that pixel count is very important to most buyers. The objective importance of higher pixel counts is not so clear. I need at least 20MP, which just happens to be the resolution of Canon’s top-of-the-line, $6500 camera—which I would already have on order if it weren’t for the camera’s relatively high weight, more than I want to carry in the field. Though I’m still considering it :)! Thinking about gaffer-taping a big brick to my 5D IV to gauge how it feels to carry it around for a few hours.

You want more heresy, while I’m at it? I couldn’t care less about two card slots. Starting with my Kodak DC120 (1 MP, CF card), the great majority of my digital cameras have had one card slot and that has never been a problem for me. But I also have just one engine in my car (which in ancient times was a problem from time to time).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
IF the specs are true and not gimped (a big IF) this will be at minimum a $4,000 USD camera. the only way they are going to offer this in the 3k range is if they start doing the Canon cripple hammer. we'll see what it's going to be.
Wanna place a bet on that $4000 minimum? Cuz I'm happy to make some easy money ;-))

Upvote 0
Now we're talking. It better have CFExpress cards. SD cards - even the new upcoming 1GB/s cards - are flat-out too slow for modern megapixel cameras.

I take rumors with a grain of salt, but if this turns out to be true then Canon will come out with an 800lb. gorilla to Sony's pretty-pony. :)

I'm using Prograde cards, advertised at 250 MB/sec (V90), and I never had any problems with speed. Could it be because my RP is relatively slow but has a good buffer?
I'm only photographing, no video.

Upvote 0
I am aware that pixel count is very important to most buyers. The objective importance of higher pixel counts is not so clear. I need at least 20MP, which just happens to be the resolution of Canon’s top-of-the-line, $6500 camera—which I would already have on order if it weren’t for the camera’s relatively high weight, more than I want to carry in the field. Though I’m still considering it :)! Thinking about gaffer-taping a big brick to my 5D IV to gauge how it feels to carry it around for a few hours.

Just add the battery grip to the 5d4 and you are pretty close.

Upvote 0