Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
Card transfer rate directly affects buffer depth because the camera’s constantly flushing the buffer to the card while you’re still shooting. It’s a FIFO, or a circular buffer, in computer science parlance. That’s how the 1Dx3 (and some older bodies in JPEG mode) can achieve ”infinite buffer depth”.

Sure. I did not imply anything else. But: Assuming that highest FPS is not *continuosly* applied, it is the buffer that matters. If you shoot for minutes continuously highest FPS, that is a different story.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Having access to a cheaper holy trinity will make or break this mount.

I suspect it might be the opposite: The success of the RF mount will determine whether or not third-party companies invest in making RF mount lenses. Personally, I have little doubt that RF will prove to be as successful as EF. Third parties will follow. They'd be silly (business-wise) not to.

Upvote 0
For everyone predicting a price north of $3,699, consider the following:

If this camera will, indeed, be called the R5, it is highly likely that it will be targeted to the same overall market segment as the 5D series. This means it has to balance price and feature set to keep it approximately in the same league. Specs will have fine print and limitations that keep the price appropriate for its positioning and intended market. In addition, the global market continues to contract. The price will need to be competitive to accomplish what Canon has stated its intent to be, which is to aggressively capture marketshare in the full fame mirrorless space. The features of the R5 will be aggressive (compared to Canon's recent years), but they won't be so incredible that they demand a price that pushes it out of position for its target market.

The 5D series has a pretty solid track record of lower-to-mid $3K range. I predict the R5 will have aggressively-fantastic-but-realistically-limited features and will be $3,299 to $3,499 at launch.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

y2kunals

Canon Sued Me Once
Feb 8, 2020

If this camera will, indeed, be called the R5, it is highly likely that it will be targeted to the same overall market segment as the 5D series. This means it has to balance price and feature set to keep it approximately in the same league. Specs will have fine print and limitations that keep the price appropriate for its positioning and intended market. In addition, the global market continues to contract. The price will need to be competitive to accomplish what Canon has stated its intent to be, which is to aggressively capture marketshare in the full fame mirrorless space. The features of the R5 will be aggressive (compared to Canon's recent years), but they won't be so incredible that they demand a price that pushes it out of position for its target market.

The 5D series has a pretty solid track record of lower-to-mid $3K range. I predict the R5 will have aggressively-fantastic-but-realistically-limited features and will be $3,299 to $3,499 at launch.

This.

Upvote 0
Great specs, although very few people are really ready for 8k. I personally won't use 8k in near future. Yet this feature will definitely cost us additional 1000 dollars at least. Other specs me likey. Finally, IBIS.
Actually the 8k may be almost free. The sensor is big enough to give full color fidelity for 4k video. That means you have 4 photosites for each pixel. 2 green and 1 red and 1 blue. The luminance value for each pixel is the roughly the average of the 4 luminance values for the 4 photosites and the color is the RGB value derived from the 4 color values. For 8k video you use the same 4k color value applied to each of the 4 photo sites but use the individual luminance value for each to get 8k pixels (actually 32 million). This does not give you quite as good color as a true 8k camera with 3 or 4 color sites for each 8k pixel but it is pretty good for a $3-4,000 camera. Its just a different processing algorithm for the same RAW data.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020

I am holding against: IF these rumored features are true (i.e. no hidden crippling) then this is a body with distinct features i.e. no competition. Then Canon can demand any price and people who want these features are willing to pay any price. It this more likely thst yhere will be a body with a toned down feature set that serves the market segment you are describing.

Upvote 0

y2kunals

Canon Sued Me Once
Feb 8, 2020
- What I want to know is whether or not this thing will do 1080 @ 180 or 240

- 8k is cool but I don't know if the World is ready for it yet. Yes, it's great to give you more flexibility with your work if you're pushing out a 4k deliverable

- If there is a new battery, with the same shape, will the camera be backwards compatible? I'd love to buy this new camera on launch, but replacing all those trusty LPE6-N batteries won't be cheap!

PS I will be pissed off if they haven't caught up to Sony or Nikon in the Dynamic Range department! All these specs are nice, but the quality of art coming out of them is what really counts!

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
no traditional mode dial?? that was one of my gripes about the eos r. even the rp has one.

I get people don’t like it, but honestly it’s one of my favorite features on my R. Switching modes is almost effortless. Coupled with the three custom modes, and it’s really slick to use. A lot of people will like it, and I believe Canon knows it.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
The picture looks doctored. I mean it got like 1:1 the same housing like an EOS R with just a few buttons added.
Then this weird R5 plate. Why would Canon, instead of putting a nice shiny plate like the EOS R has, suddenly just put a cheap print there?
Seems fishy to me.
Well, we'll likely find out in a couple of hours. The consensus in the last 18 pages is that it's probably genuine, bearing in mind this will be a development announcement, and it's therefore likely to be a pre-production model being photographed..

Upvote 0