Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

Jul 28, 2015
They are talking about the NEW AF-ON Button so far only found on the 1D Mark III that also has a Joystick AND an AF-ON-Button, but the AF-ON-Button is not only a button but also (as far as I understand) allows AF-point switching. It appears they would have wanted this new button to appear on the R5 as well. As it is, the R5 has the traditional controls already found on the 5D Mark IV. What I am missing is the AF mode selector button (to switch from point to the various AF area modes). Is it hidden somewhere or is that feature implemented differently on mirrorless?

My guess is that it is programmable. And if people are going to reprogram it, why bother labelling it?

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
my guess is pc sync port.
Remote port. Flash sync is on the side. This is very similar to the 5D IV design and as such quite smart. Their reason to put it there was to separate it from the other ports in case you decide to use the remote in harsh environments so the risk of dirt or water getting into "important" ports is reduced.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
The aperture on the long end seems to indicate little about the aperture in the wide end, or the transition between. If it would be constant, a lens that's f/7.1 at 500mm should be f/1.4 at 100mm.

That's the difference between the diaphragm opening and the entrance pupil (which is what most people actually mean when they say "aperture"). The magnification between the physical diaphragm affects the size of the e.p. As the lens is zoomed, the e.p. grows as the magnification increases. Without that magnification, a simple 70-300mm f/4-5.6 would be a 70-300mm f/4-17 with a 17.5mm diaphragm opening.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Они только объявили о начале разработки, что значит что такая камера появится неизвестно когда ))

No, it means they have decided to let everyone know they are developing it. The EOS 1D X Mark III development announcement came only four months before release. They already had the camera in the hands of testers before the "development" announcement.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The R didn't have it and had Bluetooth connectivity to be able to have remote shutter on everything from your phone to iPad to pc. :/
I actually prefer a wired shutter release on 5DIV, often when shooting from a tripod. CameraConnect on my phone works ok but a) it take time set it up b) there's a noticeable lag and it requires you to aim the button on the screen every time or there's a high chance you miss the button and the shot.
Also you might be using remote release with timer for long bulb exposures.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
The R didn't have it and had Bluetooth connectivity to be able to have remote shutter on everything from your phone to iPad to pc. :/
This camera is clearly a step up from the R and nothing beats a wired connection if you really have to rely on it. I'm pretty sure the R5 will offer plentiful wireless connectivity options as well, so no worries there. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Remote port. Flash sync is on the side. This is very similar to the 5D IV design and as such quite smart. Their reason to put it there was to separate it from the other ports in case you decide to use the remote in harsh environments so the risk of dirt or water getting into "important" ports is reduced.
oh good call! my mistake. I should have looked more closely at the side ports.

Upvote 0
Они только объявили о начале разработки, что значит что такая камера появится неизвестно когда ))
not true.

they announced it because they want to start showing it off at conferences in literally what.. 8 days from now?

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0