Here is the Canon EOS R5, official development announcement soon.

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
If it has the stills specs we read about earlier and the video will be hampered in some way like Ahsanford suggested (which is common and should be acceptable) I will buy it for my first new camera in 8 years and stay off the forum to avoid the video insanity cackling of the hens.

I‘ll be sitting near the sideline with my R and some popcorn, watching the drama unfold with a grin on my face.

Upvote 0
As a professional stills photographer and from my personal perspective, the R5 will be quite welcome if the specs pan out to what I think they’ll be. Even at $4-5k a pop, getting a few of these will be a negligible business expense out of our 3 year cycle expenses budget. But I am hoping these will be priced lower since I’d love them to be more accessible for the more budget conscious up and coming professionals and amateurs.

Very much looking forward to this and seeing what other RF lenses hit the market later on. My mirror to mirrorless transition should be smooth this year.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
The mechanical mode dial is useful because you can switch through the C321BMAvTv P using muscle memory with saved settings.

that's the only advantage of an electronic dial. mechanical is much faster to change modes in one swift action. electronic requires extra button press (button on top), then need to concentrate and look at lcd/evf to select the right mode.

if im in a M or C1 mode (for shooting environment then suddenly need to switch to shooting a person walking past with servo (C3 on my 5d3) i will miss the shot unless i can change modes in 1 second).

Sony and nikon mirrorless have mechanical mode dials. I really hope the r5 has one

With the 1-Series, there's no physical mode dial. You hold down a button and turn the main dial. But the clicks are always in the same order and you can count clicks just as one can do with Av, Tv, ISO, etc. No need to take one's eye from the VF and look at the top or back screen...

In your example, if you are shooting in Manual mode and want to go to C3, just press the button and turn the main dial four clicks to the right (M → B → C1 → C2 → C3). It's the same as pressing the mode dial lock release and turning the mode dial four clicks clockwise in the 5D Mark IV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
At the same time this dev announcement may impact EOS R sales. There shouldn't be a big gap between the dev announcement and the actual release.

Based on recent pricing of the EOS R, sales have already dropped off significantly from the first year or so it was on the market. Pretty much everyone that wants one has got one already.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Burst rates: Buffer depth matters, not card transfer rate. CFExpress is necessary for video only.

So then why does my 7D Mark II and 5D Mark IV burst slower once the buffer fills faster when recording to the slower SD card interface than to the CF card interface?

The fastest SD cards can only write at about 70MB/s in both cameras. The fastest CF cards write at around 100 MB/s.

If one is writing to both cards (for a "mission critical" shoot), then the camera is limited to the speed of the slowest card slot.

Upvote 0
Based on recent pricing of the EOS R, sales have already dropped off significantly from the first year or so it was on the market. Pretty much everyone that wants one has got one already.

Yeah. My post is irrelevant now, I wrote it before the announcement. I wonder if Canon will drop the R prices even further.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
If it has the stills specs we read about earlier and the video will be hampered in some way like Ahsanford suggested (which is common and should be acceptable) I will buy it for my first new camera in 8 years and stay off the forum to avoid the video insanity cackling of the hens.

Promises, promises...

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I am aware that pixel count is very important to most buyers. The objective importance of higher pixel counts is not so clear. I need at least 20MP, which just happens to be the resolution of Canon’s top-of-the-line, $6500 camera—which I would already have on order if it weren’t for the camera’s relatively high weight, more than I want to carry in the field. Though I’m still considering it :)! Thinking about gaffer-taping a big brick to my 5D IV to gauge how it feels to carry it around for a few hours.

You want more heresy, while I’m at it? I couldn’t care less about two card slots. Starting with my Kodak DC120 (1 MP, CF card), the great majority of my digital cameras have had one card slot and that has never been a problem for me. But I also have just one engine in my car (which in ancient times was a problem from time to time).

The 5D Mark IV with battery grip containing two LP-E6 batteries weighs exactly the same as the 1D X Mark III: 1,440 g.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Just add the battery grip to the 5d4 and you are pretty close.

It's more than pretty close.

Add the CIPA weights of the 5D Mark IV, 2 LP-E6n batteries, and a BG-E20 and it comes to 1,440 grams.

The CIPA weight of the 1D X Mark III is 1,440 grams.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Actually the 8k may be almost free. The sensor is big enough to give full color fidelity for 4k video. That means you have 4 photosites for each pixel. 2 green and 1 red and 1 blue. The luminance value for each pixel is the roughly the average of the 4 luminance values for the 4 photosites and the color is the RGB value derived from the 4 color values. For 8k video you use the same 4k color value applied to each of the 4 photo sites but use the individual luminance value for each to get 8k pixels (actually 32 million). This does not give you quite as good color as a true 8k camera with 3 or 4 color sites for each 8k pixel but it is pretty good for a $3-4,000 camera. Its just a different processing algorithm for the same RAW data.

Except that the actual color of the "red", "blue", and "green" filters in a Bayer array are not the same colors as the 'Red', 'Green', and 'Blue' pixels in our color reproduction displays emit. All simplified drawings on the internet to the contrary.

Bayer arrays are typically centered on about 460 nm, 540 nm, and 600 nm.

RGB displays typically emit at 480 nm, 525 nm, and 640 nm. A few displays also include a yellow channel at around 580 nm.

The "red" filters on a Bayer mask are more an orange tinted yellow than actual 'Red'.
The "blue" filters are a bit more violet than pure 'Blue'.
The "green" filters are more a yellowish green than 'Green'.

This mimics the sensitivity of the three types of cones in the human retina (where our "red" cones are most sensitive to yellow-green).

sxowL.png

S4ktN.jpg

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
My car doesn’t have a spare. It has high tech run flat tires and a pressure monitoring system. Welcome to 12 year old technology.

Which is all fine and good when you're running around a metropolitan area with a tire store always within 20 miles (or a tow truck within 20 minutes).

Not so much when you're on the trans-Alaskan highway, on the Serengeti, or in the middle of the Sahara.

Upvote 0
With the 1-Series, there's no physical mode dial. You hold down a button and turn the main dial. But the clicks are always in the same order and you can count clicks just as one can do with Av, Tv, ISO, etc. No need to take one's eye from the VF and look at the top or back screen...

In your example, if you are shooting in Manual mode and want to go to C3, just press the button and turn the main dial four clicks to the right (M → B → C1 → C2 → C3). It's the same as pressing the mode dial lock release and turning the mode dial four clicks clockwise in the 5D Mark IV.
That's all good for the 1 series but the r5 (just like the r) is severely lacking in the top buttons department (no iso, drive buttons, etc). Many will have to customize the hell out of the camera to get it the way we like it.

Upvote 0
Here's a tip, for the internet and for life generally: when you're wrong, just own up and move on. Don't get defensive, don't try to slink away from it. You were wrong, that's okay - nobody's perfect! But you do yourself no favours by responding with this attitude.

Except I wasn't wrong. You are just not understanding my explanation. There are always more than one way to skin a cat. And for you to be so narrow minded means that you limit your own abilities to comprehend. I'm not saying that the exposure simulation LITERALLY changes the DOF, I'm saying that it 'simulates' the amount of light that would be available for a photograph by changing the exposure in the EVF as though the shutter were physically updated. Wrap your brain around that.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
That's all good for the 1 series but the r5 (just like the r) is severely lacking in the top buttons department (no iso, drive buttons, etc). Many will have to customize the hell out of the camera to get it the way we like it.

The R5 has an electronic mode dial that the 1-Series lacks, too. So no need to map another button to use the main dial or quick control dial to change modes.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Except I wasn't wrong. You are just not understanding my explanation. There are always more than one way to skin a cat. And for you to be so narrow minded means that you limit your own abilities to comprehend. I'm not saying that the exposure simulation LITERALLY changes the DOF, I'm saying that it 'simulates' the amount of light that would be available for a photograph by changing the exposure in the EVF as though the shutter were physically updated. Wrap your brain around that.

You: Why does a mirrorless camera need a DoF button?

Him: To stop down the lens and preview Depth of Field.

You: But the EOS R already stops the aperture down to simulate exposure.

Him: No, it changes the screen brightness to simulate the effect of the aperture setting on brightness while the aperture remains wide open.

You: Well brightness is what we were talking about.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
You: Why does a mirrorless camera need a DoF button?

Him: To stop down the lens and preview Depth of Field.

You: But the EOS R already stops the aperture down to simulate exposure.

Him: No, it changes the screen brightness to simulate the effect of the aperture setting on brightness while the aperture remains wide open.

You: Well brightness is what we were talking about.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Feel better about yourself now?

Upvote 0
I didn’t read this entire thread, but anyone else conserved by the two AF on buttons? It has the new 1DXiii focus point selector, but then has another button to the right of it where the usual AF on is. Don’t know if they both work or not. I hope the selector one is a push button as well. A bit odd as usually they make the 1D and 5 controls the same.

Upvote 0