Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I think by the time the R5 hits the shelves for sale, we will know a lot more if not everything about the R6. The only things after that are the High MP R5s and the R1X. Both of those are more or less easy to figure to out what we are gonna get. You either need crazy resolution or you need a pro work horse, indestructible tank. There's no overlap with those two models. I think by May/June we will know most everything we need to know to make a buying decision(s)

How about a development announcement for the R1X in exactly 12 months, ahead of CP+ 2021? :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Am I alone in hoping it has mismatching card slots? I seriously don't need memory cards to bankrupt me when also funding a new body and L plate. I bet if I shot video I would think differently but with stills, I am good with one of each.

IIRC, mismatched slots inhibit maximum recording speed in some modes.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Ok, first, all high end Canons have had ISO "L" below 100 for a long time. And no one has said anything about the ISO capability of this camera yet.

It might be complete ignorance on my part, but I always thought ISO L was just a boosted ISO 100 that could clip. I never ever used it on my 5D3.

One of the reasons we kept getting pantsed in DR 5 years ago was the on-chip ADC, sure, but I thought the EXMOR sensors had true sub-100 ISO that provided more DR.

We're on-chip now (for the most part), but do we have a workable ISO 50 or 64 like the bad guys?

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
It seems camera specs are becoming like crack. I am only half kidding. This arms race cannot continue can it? A highly speced camera comes out. The internet sings praises, and a few months later it is regarded a a piece of old junk. Exciting times, but a little disheartening. That being said the future for Canon seems pretty bright based on the specs (1dx3) Announcement R5, and rumors R6 and others.

Us talking about rumored specs and then harumphing when they don't materialize as planned is effectively like soccer/football fans getting amped up about future transfer rumors that rarely pan out.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Either you are kidding or you are entirely wrong: Building 2.4 million units before shipping a single one? -> NO WAY!
This is against any production line logistics.

It simply quenches the thirst of all early adopters who typically buy at RRP.

Shipping a week later, many people will have had second thoughts.

This is about milking the first wave of buyers. (Including me).

To be able to do that, you have to fill the distribution channel to
the top, to met any demand instantaneously.

Yes, there is risk involved. Canon manages that since 1985, when
they built all of the T90 bodies ever built in a stretch of only 12 weeks,
and sold them for five years to come.

The know very well what they are doing.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
My 2020 Gear and Price Wishlist
R6 $2000 (TBA)
RP $999
EF 50mm f1.8 $125
RF 85mm f1.8 $600 (TBA)
Tamron EF SP 28-75 f2.8 XR DI $500
Tokina EF 16-28 f2.8 $650

I got to buy everything from scratch, because my equipment was stolen. I have been using an old Canon 60D and some borrowed lenses as temporary measure for the last year while I save money.

Finally have about $5000 saved. So trying to be smart about what I invest into. Can’t blow my load on the great new RF lenses so will have to pick my spots.

Although, I am curious what you guys think about the Tamron EF SP 28-75 XR DI f2.8 vs the RF 24-105 f/4. Which would you choose. The Tamron is about $500 less difference in price, less reach, but faster aperture.

Will try to find the EF lenses on the used market as well to save money. But I really do hope the R6 body is competitively priced to rival the Z6 and A7III. Fingers crossed.

Why go with the Tamron EF SP 28-75 f2.8 XR DI when the much newer and far superior SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC is not that much more?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I am sure you can find RF24-105 cheaper than the $1K you imply. Although I got it as a kit with R from Europe so I cannot provide you with specific examples have you tried to find grey importers?

I would not touch the specific Tamron according to TDP comparisons:

That 28-75mm is two generations back. The SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC (and the G2 version of it) are both much better lenses and you can find used copies of the G1 from reputable sellers for $500.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
And what brainless idiot will buy the 7400 euro 'flagship' 1Dx Mark III now this news is out? :)
Cannot believe Canon is charging 7400 for a product that is already outdated before it hits the market.
I am so happy there is competition now, else this R5 mirrorless would cost 7400 euro too..

"I won this prestigious photo award because I maximized my camera's horsepower-per-dollar ratio."

-- said by no one in the history of mankind​

These hot takes that the 1DX3 is in dire jeopardy of losing, what -- its internet forum dwelling enthusiast user market share? -- just make me :rolleyes:

- A

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
Yes but the compromise is not stated. I feel there will be a massive compromise. 8K in that body is too far fetched.
It’s not a “compromise” if it’s the limit of what can be achieved now. And of course, you are free to buy whatever uncompromised 8k body the competition is offering, though I’m not sure what that is.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
The mode dial is on the top right rear of the camera. It says "Mode" in the middle, just like with the EOS R.

The "instant video" button is the red one on the top of the body directly behind the M.Fn. button, just like with the EOS R.

It's going to be 45 MP. You don't have any idea how the DR will stack up to other cameras, because you haven't tested the new sensor yet.

Possibly might not have means it definitely lags, huh?

And in all probability it will improve on the EOS R and comparable MILCs. So what's your point?

We'll have to wait and see the actual specs and performance before we can actually answer that honestly.

You can't crop a 40+ MP 3:2 sensor by much as have enough pixels left for 8K.

4K will probably be cropped. Who cares? If it's a 2X crop that's the same size as an uncropped µ4/3 sensor!

Re: codecs Possibly might not have means it definitely lags, huh?

Yep. And you're quaking in your boots because you know it to be true.
Trolls aren't even trying anymore are they? Making up statistics to then complain about :(

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
It’s not a “compromise” if it’s the limit of what can be achieved now. And of course, you are free to buy whatever uncompromised 8k body the competition is offering, though I’m not sure what that is.

The Nikon D850 drops some sweet 8K movies... but the framerate leaves something to be desired.

- A

• Haha
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
And what brainless idiot will buy the 7400 euro 'flagship' 1Dx Mark III now this news is out? :)
Cannot believe Canon is charging 7400 for a product that is already outdated before it hits the market.
I am so happy there is competition now, else this R5 mirrorless would cost 7400 euro too..

Dear Lord... what is it with some people and paper specs... This has been asked and answered 50 times on this thread alone and countless others before it. If you don't understand the difference in cameras, it's ok. Just say so. Cuz lots and lots of "idiots" are going to buy the 1DX3.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Dear Lord... what is it with some people and paper specs... This has been asked answered 50 times on this thread alone and countless others before it. If you don't understand the difference in cameras, it's ok. Just say so. Cuz lots and lots of "idiots are going to buy the DX3.

Yep. They are also known as photographers.

- A

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Actually, I agree with you. I'm getting ahead of myself. You're right, this is an A7 competitor, not an A9 competitor.
Well, until there is an R1, the R5 is as close a mirrorless competitor to the A9 as Canon will have. If you throw in price, the RF system and Canon's support , it might get interesting.

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
I really hope that Canon will introduce in a near future an APS-C "R7" to replace my old 7D mk2 for wildlife photography. Also the new RF 100-500mm interest me.
I don’t think that’s going to happen. Just my opinion. If it does, though, it will only come after Canon has fleshed out its lineup of full-frame RF bodies and lenses. They are very laser-focused right now on that.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Amen, fellow Questar enthusiast. Every hood of mine stays in the original box with the sealed manual, warranty docs, and strap, and is never deployed. I invest in good lenses with good coatings, and pay to much of a premium for convenient and compact forms to throw away the benefits with a hood that I associate with amateurs trying to make their lenses look more pro. Reminds me of those engagement ring settings with the circle of little diamond chips to "fool" people into thinking the main diamond is much larger.

There are two very good reasons for using a hood:

They block off axis light that can cause flare and ghosting, which is important if one is shooting under artificial lighting such as found in stadiums and gyms, or into the general direction of the sun (because that's where the media is allowed to stand and face their subjects).

They absorb the impact of things like linebackers and line drives so your lens' front element doesn't have to.

If the use of hoods was so presumptuous, why would pros be using them? They provide significant benefits especially on longer focal length lenses.

As the saying on the sideline goes, "If at least one of your hoods is not held together by duct tape, you're not getting close enough."

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Well, until there is an R1, the R5 is as close a mirrorless competitor to the A9 as Canon will have. If you throw in price, the RF system and Canon's support , it might get interesting.

They may do some publicity stunt and hand an R5 to a sideline photog or wildlifer or photojourno and ask them to try out 20 fps for a promotional video, but I just don't see them making a major push in that market out of the gate. Is the the A9 taking over on sidelines or out on safari or polar expeditions? I see a few a political PJs carry them, but not that many. I think Canon is holding serve really well on the high fps / 'be there' / action rigs.

My point: just because the A9 -- a non-gripped FF action rig -- exists, doesn't mean it's a market segment in which Canon must be throwing haymakers.

I see the R5 aimed at a much bigger market: the general working pro who covers a lot of fields: wedding/event photogs, people who run a small studio, content creators who need strong video, etc. They aren't always sure what they'll be shooting next week, but the camera will be highly likely be an 8 or 9 out of 10 at that task.

I could be wrong.

- A

Upvote 0